The Chiefs vs. The NFL After Fifteen Games

The Chiefs have the sixth-best Points For in the league. Every team ranked ahead of them in Points For has already clinched a playoff berth. Three of those five teams are in contention for a first-round playoff bye.

The Chiefs have the fourteenth-best Points Against in the league. Of the thirteen teams ranked ahead of them in Points Against, only one has already been eliminated from playoff contention, while eight have already clinched a playoff berth. Of the other four teams, two would clinch a playoff berth with a win next Sunday. The Chiefs could go into the post-season with the worst Points Against of any playoff team.

The Chiefs' offense, although erratic, has been underrated as a whole. The Chiefs' defense, in addition to being inconsistent, has underperformed relative to the rest of the league's playoff teams. Such has been the Chiefs' season.

Game on.

The Chiefs have the sixth-best Points For in the league. Every team ranked ahead of them in Points For has already clinched a playoff berth. Three of those five teams are in contention for a first-round playoff bye.

The Chiefs have the fourteenth-best Points Against in the league. Of the thirteen teams ranked ahead of them in Points Against, only one has already been eliminated from playoff contention, while eight have already clinched a playoff berth. Of the other four teams, two would clinch a playoff berth with a win next Sunday. The Chiefs could go into the post-season with the worst Points Against of any playoff team.

The Chiefs' offense, although erratic, has been underrated as a whole. The Chiefs' defense, in addition to being inconsistent, has underperformed relative to the rest of the league's playoff teams. Such has been the Chiefs' season.

Game on.

They are hitting their groove at the right time. Rankings are less important I think only because this reflects that 7 week horrible stretch. I think that embarrassment of a team is gone and what we're watching now is the playoff Chiefs. Even the defense has shown up to ball out.

They are hitting their groove at the right time. Rankings are less important I think only because this reflects that 7 week horrible stretch. I think that embarrassment of a team is gone and what we're watching now is the playoff Chiefs. Even the defense has shown up to ball out.

I hope you're right. Things have been better since Matt Nagy started calling plays and the offensive line blocking was simplified so that available personnel could actually execute it.

Man besides the fact it would be awsome for the team to win the superbowl.   

My selfishness would love for it to happen in this year in particular, just for the America's Game show that would be produced.   It would be freakin great to see the players accounts for that extremely low point in the season...

Since the BYE the Chiefs are averaging 18 points a game FOR

Since the BYE the Chiefs are averaging 17.8 points a game AGAINST

Their record is 3-3

With Losses to the Giants ( 2-13 ), the Bills ( 8-7 ) and the Jets ( 5-10 ) scoring an avg of 16.6 pts/gm

With Wins against Raiders (6-9), the Chargers (8-70 and Dolphins (6-9) allowing an avg of 13.6 pts/gm

17 FG's*

8 Passing TD's*

4 Rushing TD's*

Is a team hitting its stride?

*Disclaimer- doing this at work so my numbers may be off due to stopping and restarting with each game.

Their record is 3-3

With Losses to the Giants ( 2-13 ), the Bills ( 8-7 ) and the Jets ( 5-10 ) scoring an avg of 16.6 pts/gm

With Wins against Raiders (6-9), the Chargers (8-70 and Dolphins (6-9) allowing an avg of 13.6 pts/gm

17 FG's*

8 Passing TD's*

4 Rushing TD's*

*Disclaimer- doing this at work so my numbers may be off due to stopping and restarting with each game.

We definitely won't hold it against you, Handsy Wandsy.  :D

Their record is 3-3

17 FG's*

8 Passing TD's*

4 Rushing TD's*

Last 3 games kc 28.3 points for average. Thought I'd add that in.

I don't know about stride, but since someone tried to qualify Kansas City's Points For numbers, I thought context would be helpful:

Kansas City Strength of Victory, 2017: 69-66, .511

Baltimore Strength of Victory, 2017: 40-95, .296

If Detroit loses to the Brett Hundley-led Packers this Sunday, Baltimore would finish the season without a win against a team with a winning record. They're already going to finish the season winless against playoff teams.

Baltimore should make the post-season, making them the fourteenth team of the Super Bowl era to make the playoffs without managing at least a .333 Strength of Victory, the best they can accumulate for this season. The post-season record for such teams is surprising 10-11, with two Super Bowl winners buoying the group, the 1970 Baltimore Colts and the 1999 St. Louis Rams. No team to enter the post-season with a Strength of Victory less than .322 has ever won in the Super Bowl-era post-season.

Nothing about that Ravens team scares me. They've beaten bad teams, but haven't managed to finish against the good teams in the few instances in which they competed at all.

I don't know about stride, but since someone tried to qualify Kansas City's Points For numbers, I thought context would be helpful:

If Detroit loses to the Brett Hundley-led Packers this Sunday, Baltimore would finish the season without a win against a team with a winning record. They're already going to finish the season winless against playoff teams.

Baltimore should make the post-season, making them the fourteenth team of the Super Bowl era to make the playoffs without managing at least a .333 Strength of Victory, the best they can accumulate for this season. The post-season record for such teams is surprising 10-11, with two Super Bowl winners buoying the group, the 1970 Baltimore Colts and the 1999 St. Louis Rams. No team to enter the post-season with a Strength of Victory less than .322 has ever won in the Super Bowl-era post-season.

Nothing about that Ravens team scares me. They've beaten bad teams, but haven't managed to finish against the good teams in the few instances in which they competed at all.

Well done.

Our strength of victory is buoyed by two very early wins against the Eagles and Patriots. I know you can't ignore them entirely, but they seem pretty long ago with subsequent losses to the Jets, Bills, Raiders and Giants. If you take those two out, our strength of victory falls to .420

Still a game we should win, but I don't think we can look past anyone.

So the Ravens get to pick their schedule of creampuffs and homecoming dates while the Mighty Chiefs play every BULLY that comes down the street.....

Take a look at the last 6 games. Regardless of opponent.

3-3

Chiefs losses and the opponents records-  2-13, 8-7, 5-10..... 33.3%

Chiefs wins and the opponents records- 6-9, 8-7, 6-9............44.1%

5-1

Ravens losses and opponents records- 12-3.... 80% (1 pt loss)

Ravens wins and opponents records- 29.3%

I'll take the Ravens. Beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead once before in the playoffs, can do it once again.

Also, not sure the Chiefs are the same team that took out the Patriots- better since Nagy took over but the Ravens defense is pretty damn  good.

Flacco has thrown nearly as many picks as TDs and against bad teams. He is terrible. Decent D, but that QB is a disaster.

Last 6 games, he has 7 TD and 1 INT. Remember he was coming off a back injury that forced him to miss all of training camp. Only the Patriots have a higher point differential (80) than the Ravens at 77 over the last 8 games.

The whole team has had some stinkers this year like the London game vs the Jags...they never cleared customs....but lately Joe is playing really well.

Our strength of victory is buoyed by two very early wins against the Eagles and Patriots. I know you can't ignore them entirely, but they seem pretty long ago with subsequent losses to the Jets, Bills, Raiders and Giants. If you take those two out, our strength of victory falls to .420

We could also do the same for those games we lost and chalk it up to the 2017 Chiefs not playing 2017 Chiefs football. What would there SOS be if we eliminated those 4 losses? But you are right. The Chiefs should not look past any team. This is the NFL and on any given Sunday a team that was "supposed" to lose can win. 

Not sure how a team that scored 1 combined TD in games vs Buffalo and NY can look past anyone. We were a different team early until teams adjusted defensively and started figuring out how to effectively attack the areas where Berry was not. His loss was that big. The defense added Ragland, inserted KPL into the nickel corner role, got Nelson back and added Revis and its all helped to make this a pretty solid defense again. 

Offensively we got away from running Kareem and became one dimensional which won't work with Alex Smith. Once we got back to making sure Kareem gets his touches and simplified blocking schemes to get him to the second level more, the offense became diverse and solid again. This isn't a great team by any means, but we head into the postseason with a pretty solid overall team flanked by a three stars on offense that can help win close games.

If we play the Ravens they have nobody near the caliber of Hunt, Hill or Kelce. That's our edge. 

Not sure how a team that scored 1 combined TD in games vs Buffalo and NY can look past anyone. We were a different team early until teams adjusted defensively and started figuring out how to effectively attack the areas where Berry was not. His loss was that big. The defense added Ragland, inserted KPL into the nickel corner role, got Nelson back and added Revis and its all helped to make this a pretty solid defense again. 

Offensively we got away from running Kareem and became one dimensional which won't work with Alex Smith. Once we got back to making sure Kareem gets his touches and simplified blocking schemes to get him to the second level more, the offense became diverse and solid again. This isn't a great team by any means, but we head into the postseason with a pretty solid overall team flanked by a three stars on offense that can help win close games.

If we play the Ravens they have nobody near the caliber of Hunt, Hill or Kelce. That's our edge. 

Joe Flacco’s eight playoff road wins are the most in NFL history. Since he entered the league in 2008, only Tom Brady has more playoff wins than Flacco.

So the Ravens get to pick their schedule of creampuffs and homecoming dates while the Mighty Chiefs play every BULLY that comes down the street.....

Take a look at the last 6 games. Regardless of opponent.

3-3

Chiefs losses and the opponents records- 2-13, 8-7, 5-10..... 33.3%

Chiefs wins and the opponents records- 6-9, 8-7, 6-9............44.1%

5-1

Ravens losses and opponents records- 12-3.... 80% (1 pt loss)

Ravens wins and opponents records- 29.3%

I'll take the Ravens. Beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead once before in the playoffs, can do it once again.

Also, not sure the Chiefs are the same team that took out the Patriots- better since Nagy took over but the Ravens defense is pretty damn good.

They are good but couldn't contain Pittsburgh's offense. Baltimore had a double digit lead twice in that game and failed to capitalize. That was disappointing for me.

Joe Flacco’s eight playoff road wins are the most in NFL history. Since he entered the league in 2008, only Tom Brady has more playoff wins than Flacco.

The only thing that should worry the Chiefs about Flacco is his consistency in playoff games. He has played well in the past and shown no signs of being intimidated. Question is does he have enough talent around him to get the job done?

Flacco has elevated his game in the postseason without question. I referenced this already and expect an improved effort from his woeful regular season. But again he doesn't have near the weapons around him that Alex Smith does. Defenses are pretty similiar. Suggs is still a stud. But Justin Houston is every bit as good. We have an edge at corner with Peters since you don't have Smith. But you have an edge at safety since we don't have Berry. Both stud kickers. But again without trying to be combative, you aren't in yet and as much as I think this will be the matchup, it's far from a done deal yet. 

Last 6 games, he has 7 TD and 1 INT. Remember he was coming off a back injury that forced him to miss all of training camp. Only the Patriots have a higher point differential (80) than the Ravens at 77 over the last 8 games.

The whole team has had some stinkers this year like the London game vs the Jags...they never cleared customs....but lately Joe is playing really well.

Back injury or not, it is not that unusual for him. Career wise he throws 6 picks for every 10 TDs.

2017 16 TDs 12 INTs

2016 20 TDs 15 INTs

2015 14TDs 12 INTs

2013 19 TDs 22 INTs

The guy is a pick machine. He has good stretches like recently but he will always go back to throwing picks. It just a matter of when. I say we get 3 off off him.

I'm not recommending looking past anyone. If the Ravens are the team that comes to Arrowhead, the Chiefs must crush them.

Archived