Charles is asking to be release

Sign him immediately for the playoff run!!!!!  The few plays I saw him run this year, he looked to still have some burst.  if he can hold onto the ball!  We have no backup for Hunt.  West is ok, but he is not as good a blocker as Jamaal.  If it's just for the playoff run, SIGN THE MAN!

I dunno maybe it's just me but i don't like the way he is handling this. Yea things aren't going the way he wanted so he wants to quit on his current team and go to a playoff team. I know he is a competitive guy but play out the year like you signed on for and go to a better team next year.

The Chiefs didn't think he was worth keeping around last spring so i doubt much has changed.

guess he woke up from the dream of always playing for the broncos and realized it was a nightmare

probably trolling in hopes that someone like the pats may pick him up....desperate play

A lot of fans remember what he said when he went to the bronco's, i know i do. I am torn because i want the

chiefs to get to the super bowl but am not sure that JC would help in any way.

guess he woke up from the dream of always playing for the broncos and realized it was a nightmare

probably trolling in hopes that someone like the pats may pick him up....desperate play

A lot of fans remember what he said when he went to the bronco's, i know i do. I am torn because i want the

chiefs to get to the super bowl but am not sure that JC would help in any way.

m

I love Jamaal but he was healthy for 1 playoff game out of the 5 we played in his tenure in KC. I know we also weren’t sold his knee was okay or would hold up and couldn’t keep counting on a guy that was never available. Could he all of a sudden come back and help now. That just seems like a massive stretch.

I remember it was said that he would've taken a pay cut if asked to do so, but it was never offered and then he was released.

Yeah, I don't know why we believe one side but not the other. Although I don't think that we said anything. But maybe that might be one of the knocks against Dorsey. I think it's a good football move but maybe the owner wanted Charles and Maclin. I don't think Dorsey was the best at PR and so maybe they wanted him to speak to Charles better so that there wouldn't be these public comments.

Yeah, I don't know why we believe one side but not the other. Although I don't think that we said anything. But maybe that might be one of the knocks against Dorsey. I think it's a good football move but maybe the owner wanted Charles and Maclin. I don't think Dorsey was the best at PR and so maybe they wanted him to speak to Charles better so that there wouldn't be these public comments.

I think it’s pretty clear the Chiefs weren’t sold the knee could hold up. I’m not sure why the Broncos benched him though. Fumbling issues? Kind of odd.

I remember it was said that he would've taken a pay cut if asked to do so, but it was never offered and then he was released. 

I don't believe he was willing to negotiate in good faith. He's taken the low road at every turn for years now, and I believe the Chiefs simply didn't bother to respond publicly to what was probably a half-truth.

Here's a quote from the article "

Charles is not happy about the decline in playing time. In fact, he was asked by reporters if the Broncos should release him and let him join a team headed for the playoffs.

“I ain’t playing. Might as well,” Charles told Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post on Tuesday. “No reason for me to just sit around and look at people play. It is what it is. I’m still going to be supportive of everyone on the team no matter what. I mean, they got my rights right now.”

That makes it sound like he did not really "ask" for a release, but is just unhappy about lack of playing time and being fourth on the running back depth chart.  He sounds the same as he did when he and the Chiefs parted ways, I don't know why anyone would invite that attitude back even for a couple games.  He's not going to turn into the 25 year old Charles, that one is long gone.

saving on performance bonus perhaps?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21885847/with-role-diminished-denver-broncos-rb-jamaal-charles-wants-release

From the article:

Overall Charles has had just seven carries in the past six games combined. Charles has 425 yards from scrimmage this season -- 296 yards rushing to go with 129 yards receiving.

If he is a game-day inactive again Sunday against the Chiefs, as expected, he would not have a final chance to earn a $100,000 bonus for 500 yards from scrimmage for the season. Charles has incentives built into his contract that would have paid him bonuses for 500, 750, 1,000, 1,200 and 1,400 yards from scrimmage.

The bonus for 1,400 yards from scrimmage would have been $1 million.

So, he hasn't been playing much.  But, there is also bonus money at stake - he would need 75 yards from scrimmage to reach the next bonus amount.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21885847/with-role-diminished-denver-broncos-rb-jamaal-charles-wants-release

From the article:

So, he hasn't been playing much.  But, there is also bonus money at stake - he would need 75 yards from scrimmage to reach the next bonus amount.

The best way to earn bonuses: Don't put the ball on the ground. He nearly cost his team a win with a fourth-quarter fumble in week one, and in week eight he gave up a scoop-six against the Chiefs. From that point onward, Charles merely got mop-up duty in losing efforts.

In fact, that game against the Chiefs in week 8 proved to be Charles' most useful contribution to the Chiefs since 2015. It's nice to know that Denver's cap money helped the Chiefs that way, considering the tremendous amount of cap money burned on Charles during the previous two years.

I could care less about his bonuses. If you fumble twice on 89 touches, you've got no right to gripe about incentives or playing time. Earn your playing time by not hurting your team in the worst way possible.

The best way to earn bonuses: Don't put the ball on the ground. He nearly cost his team a win with a fourth-quarter fumble in week one, and in week eight he gave up a scoop-six against the Chiefs. From that point onward, Charles merely got mop-up duty in losing efforts.

In fact, that game against the Chiefs in week 8 proved to be Charles' most useful contribution to the Chiefs since 2015. It's nice to know that Denver's cap money helped the Chiefs that way, considering the tremendous amount of cap money burned on Charles during the previous two years.

I could care less about his bonuses. If you fumble twice on 89 touches, you've got no right to gripe about incentives or playing time. Earn your playing time by not hurting your team in the worst way possible.

I mean, I don't particularly care if he get his bonus or not, I was just relaying information.  Not totally sure where this is coming from.

Having said that, your comment about his fumble for a TD in the MNF game I totally agree with.  Considering how he cost us the TNF game in 2015 in the same way I took more pleasure in that than I probably should have.

From the article:

That probably nailed it. We will know this week. Why wouldn't they just turn him loose and give him 20 plus carries against us this week if this isn't the case. Will be interesting. 

I hope the incentives are not why. 78k per game active and yards below.

500 yards from scrimmage: $100,000

500 yards plus Broncos make playoffs: $150,000

750 yards from scrimmage: $300,000

750 yards plus Broncos make playoffs: $400,000

1,000 yards from scrimmage: $500,000

1,000 yards plus playoffs: $650,000

1,200 yards yards from scrimmage: $700,000

1,200 yards plus playoffs: $900,000

1,400 yards from scrimmage: $1 million

1,400 yards plus playoffs: $1.25 million

Not much money net so I doubt it. He is at 296 so it’s not like he is on the verge of 500.

I would sign him in a heartbeat for the playoffs. He makes us a better team.

I mean, I don't particularly care if he get his bonus or not, I was just relaying information.  Not totally sure where this is coming from.

Having said that, your comment about his fumble for a TD in the MNF game I totally agree with.  Considering how he cost us the TNF game in 2015 in the same way I took more pleasure in that than I probably should have.

I have no love for players who hold out. They signed the contract, they need to play it out. I make a point of honoring my word even when I feel that I am disadvantaged for it. But honesty comes back around. So does dishonesty.

When I saw Charles fumble, I was actually more relieved than anything: I didn't succumb to Rotoworld's suggestion of starting Charles for the revenge game factor.

I hope the incentives are not why. 78k per game active and yards below.

500 yards from scrimmage: $100,000

500 yards plus Broncos make playoffs: $150,000

750 yards from scrimmage: $300,000

750 yards plus Broncos make playoffs: $400,000

1,000 yards from scrimmage: $500,000

1,000 yards plus playoffs: $650,000

1,200 yards yards from scrimmage: $700,000

1,200 yards plus playoffs: $900,000

1,400 yards from scrimmage: $1 million

1,400 yards plus playoffs: $1.25 million

Not much money net so I doubt it. He is at 296 so it’s not like he is on the verge of 500.

I would sign him in a heartbeat for the playoffs. He makes us a better team.

Per my earlier post, 296 is his rushing total but he has 425 from scrimmage, and the 500 yard benchmark is from scrimmage.  In a vacuum 75 yards would be pretty attainable, but his season high is 57, and considering his usage over the past few weeks it would be pretty unlikely for him to hit that mark.

Having said that, like it or not, this sort of thing happens all the time.  Teams will sit guys to have them avoid hitting meaningless contract incentives.  I am positive that the two biggest factors in Jamaal probable inactive status this week are (a) his recent usage/effectiveness and (B) avoiding these incentives.  Which of the two is more important and the relative percentages are up for debate.

Per my earlier post, 296 is his rushing total but he has 425 from scrimmage, and the 500 yard benchmark is from scrimmage. In a vacuum 75 yards would be pretty attainable, but his season high is 57, and considering his usage over the past few weeks it would be pretty unlikely for him to hit that mark.

Having said that, like it or not, this sort of thing happens all the time. Teams will sit guys to have them avoid hitting meaningless contract incentives. I am positive that the two biggest factors in Jamaal probable inactive status this week are (a) his recent usage/effectiveness and (B) avoiding these incentives. Which of the two is more important and the relative percentages are up for debate.

And third, these comments publicly aren't going to help his situation. He's not going to get incentives, he's not going to be played much, if at all. I wouldn't be surprised if he went public with a gripe over incentives after this but I don't expect it. I think he said his peice.

I've always been a huge Charles fan. He worked his ass off in KC with shit QB and personal around him.

I'm not against bringing him in for a few reasons and then my but. Talking playoffs.

As mentioned we have nobody behind Hunt that will scare a defense. Can also be used on kickoffs. Slot, locking on 3 Rd down.

As long as the money and commitment is no longer than this playoff run then ok.

My big but is a lot about the locker room. What really happened when Dorsey didn't sign him? Don't know but what I do know locker cannot have cancer. Reid snipped it in the butt with peters. The locker room is my biggest concern.

I have no love for players who hold out. They signed the contract, they need to play it out. I make a point of honoring my word even when I feel that I am disadvantaged for it. But honesty comes back around. So does dishonesty.

When I saw Charles fumble, I was actually more relieved than anything: I didn't succumb to Rotoworld's suggestion of starting Charles for the revenge game factor.

Is this more revisionist history because when exactly did Jamaal Charles ever holdout?

Per my earlier post, 296 is his rushing total but he has 425 from scrimmage, and the 500 yard benchmark is from scrimmage. In a vacuum 75 yards would be pretty attainable, but his season high is 57, and considering his usage over the past few weeks it would be pretty unlikely for him to hit that mark.

Having said that, like it or not, this sort of thing happens all the time. Teams will sit guys to have them avoid hitting meaningless contract incentives. I am positive that the two biggest factors in Jamaal probable inactive status this week are (a) his recent usage/effectiveness and (B) avoiding these incentives. Which of the two is more important and the relative percentages are up for debate.

Good point on the yards from scrimmage.

Archived