Who we play in the WC round

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else, but this is probably the easiest to understand source of info:

https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/945743426858893312/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportingnews.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2Fnfl-playoff-picture-scenarios-week-17-clinch-berth-bye-division-home-field%2Fnbe6odg3oxf81lpem1q46xql5

The games that matter to us are Bengals at Ravens, Jaguars at Titans, and Bills at Dolphins.  The Ravens, Titans, and Bills all are trying to win to get into the playoffs (though the Ravens can get it without winning), while their opponents have nothing to play for.  The flow chart, as it matters to us, is pretty simple.

Ravens win --> we play the Ravens

Ravens loss + Titans win --> we play the Titans

Ravens loss + Titans loss + Bills win --> we play the Bills

Ravens + Titans + Bills all lose --> we play the Ravens

The only other team in play for the playoffs is the Chargers, and there is no way that we can play them in Round 1.

I want the third scenario to happen. I want to make up for the Bills loss, the Steelers loss, prove the Patriots game was not a fluke, etc.

Meh, none of that is important to me. I mean, it would be sweet in particular to finally get over the hump against Pittsburgh. And beating the Patriots again would be fun. Revenge against the Bills isn't really on my radar. But I won't be sad if we have to play other teams; I would rather just win against whoever is in front of us.

The Chiefs can beat any of them. I don't really care who they play against. But there's not much reason to expect that the Chiefs will play anyone other than the Ravens.

I wouldn't say that. Bengals are not as bad as their record. The Bengals gets a chance to play spoiler against a division rival. I expect a hard fought game. The Titans play the Jags. The Jags will likely rest their key starters because they are locked in the #3 seed. The Bills play the Dolphins so that game could go either way, but I think the Bills are better then the Dolphins. #3 scenario is just as likely as #1 or #2. That could be a good betting parley for you gamblers. Maybe I should drop $50 on #3 scenario.

I wouldn't say that. Bengals are not as bad as their record. The Bengals gets a chance to play spoiler against a division rival. I expect a hard fought game. The Titans play the Jags. The Jags will likely rest their key starters because they are locked in the #3 seed. The Bills play the Dolphins so that game could go either way, but I think the Bills are better then the Dolphins. #3 scenario is just as likely as #1 or #2. That could be a good betting parley for you gamblers. Maybe I should drop $50 on #3 scenario.

I don't know if this is just gamesmanship or for a series or two, but the Jaguars coach said that they weren't sitting Bortles or the starters. He said he was going for the win which I know is what they always say, but he specifically said that they are starting.

I don't know if this is just gamesmanship or for a series or two, but the Jaguars coach said that they weren't sitting Bortles or the starters. He said he was going for the win which I know is what they always say, but he specifically said that they are starting.

If a game does not affect your seeding it would be really foolish to treat it as anything other than a preseason game.  Whether that means sitting your starters or playing them for a series/quarter/half depends, but there is no reason for them to play a whole game.  I imagine the starters will have a quick hook.

If a game does not affect your seeding it would be really foolish to treat it as anything other than a preseason game. Whether that means sitting your starters or playing them for a series/quarter/half depends, but there is no reason for them to play a whole game. I imagine the starters will have a quick hook.

I predict Bortles will get injured on the first series and the coach will defend playing him by either saying 1) rust or 2) just playing a series or two.

Why is everyone so afraid of injury? Getting the rest this late in the season is so important. Injuries can be devastating but you can't play scared. That's when injuries are most likely in my opinion. Injuries are so entirely random and aren't limited to the game.

Rust I understand. But it shouldn't take more than a few plays at this stage to jiggle the rust loose.

Why is everyone so afraid of injury? Getting the rest this late in the season is so important. Injuries can be devastating but you can't play scared. That's when injuries are most likely in my opinion. Injuries are so entirely random and aren't limited to the game.

Rust I understand. But it shouldn't take more than a few plays at this stage to jiggle the rust loose.

Getting injured in this game isn't much more likely than any other game besides being tired from a long season and overcompensating. But it's less likely to get injured sitting on the sidelines than it is to play in a game and so that's why people are concerned about injuries in a meaningless game. If we were playing for the first or second seed, it would not be a meaningless game and I don't think we'd even think about injuries beyond normal concerns. We would be concerned with burn out, but that's just part of the game.

I think based on what Alex Smith himself said that it’s a huge benefit to give beat up bodies a week off. That’s what we are really doing here. I think it’s just a biproduct that it also can help players expose themselves to less chance of injury. But as we saw in that Indy playoff game players can drop like flies no matter what type of protection or rest you give them.

I think based on what Alex Smith himself said that it’s a huge benefit to give beat up bodies a week off. That’s what we are really doing here. I think it’s just a biproduct that it also can help players expose themselves to less chance of injury. But as we saw in that Indy playoff game players can drop like flies no matter what type of protection or rest you give them.

Then giving them the week off should result in some good play come next week. Why do I have a sinking feeling that it will not? Oh yeah, it’s playoff time. I have little faith this team will beat the battle tested Ravens next week. I think Alex turtles up.

Then giving them the week off should result in some good play come next week. Why do I have a sinking feeling that it will not? Oh yeah, it’s playoff time. I have little faith this team will beat the battle tested Ravens next week. I think Alex turtles up.

Not, "I think this defense gives up two points per minute of possession," or, "I think Hunt's going to put the ball on the ground at an inconvenient time," or, "I think the offensive line is going to lay an egg"? It's all on Smith with you. If he doesn't drag this team across the finish line, 'he's one of the worst quarterbacks ever to play for the Chiefs.'

Don't bother to argue that last point: Everything you say starts with the premise: 'How will Smith undo all of the good everyone else does?', and never, 'When Smith's teammates so much as show up, it's amazing what Smith does.'

Not, "I think this defense gives up two points per minute of possession," or, "I think Hunt's going to put the ball on the ground at an inconvenient time," or, "I think the offensive line is going to lay an egg"? It's all on Smith with you. If he doesn't drag this team across the finish line, 'he's one of the worst quarterbacks ever to play for the Chiefs.'

Don't bother to argue that last point: Everything you say starts with the premise: 'How will Smith undo all of the good everyone else does?', and never, 'When Smith's teammates so much as show up, it's amazing what Smith does.'

This team isn’t good enough at QB or anywhere else for that matter to play poorly at any position group and expect to win. Good news is that we played solid football across the board the last 3 games. That gives us a legit chance. But few fans are gonna be confident and rightfully so. We don’t play the game though so it really doesn’t matter.

As seen this season Chiefs have the capability to beat the best teams as well as lose to the worst ones. It would be crazy to think that Chiefs are in a position to win without a complete team effort, it could be possible with some luck but Chiefs need perfect focus to compete at any level.

Ravens are going into this game vs the Bengals with a MUST WIN attitude although there are 2 scenarios where if they lose, they still make it in. They don't want to do that so playing at home, in a must win game, they will be ready.

Against the Chiefs, whoo, you better watch out. No team travels like the Ravens in the Playoffs (minus the Steelers) so the entire Chiefs team needs to play well or they will lose.

Ravens are going into this game vs the Bengals with a MUST WIN attitude although there are 2 scenarios where if they lose, they still make it in. They don't want to do that so playing at home, in a must win game, they will be ready.

Against the Chiefs, whoo, you better watch out. No team travels like the Ravens in the Playoffs (minus the Steelers) so the entire Chiefs team needs to play well or they will lose.

Hands thats been the story for the whole year in regards to the Chiefs. 

The Chiefs can beat any of them. I don't really care who they play against. But there's not much reason to expect that the Chiefs will play anyone other than the Ravens.

The Ravens are playing pretty good football lately and Flacco can be a real problem for the Chiefs.  I'd rather the Chiefs play either of the other two but think it will be the Ravens.

Well, he’s kinda the leader of the unit which puts points on the board. Simple question for you - if the Ravens take Hunt out of the game, do you trust Alex to carry this team? And regarding the defense...I feel decent about their chances. We need need to get more pass rush, no doubt, but they’re not giving up a lot of points, and Peters has been playing like a man possessed. So yeah, I’m worried about Alex Smith’s ability to carry this team in a do-or-die game.

The Ravens offense doesn't scare me.  If we play them, it won't be a Raiders or Jets type of game.  But if Alex doesn't come through it could be a Giants or Bills type of game.

Ravens seem to prefer the sluggfests but did score 38 in Pitt a few weeks ago. We cannot afford bad Alex to show up like he did in those two blown games or the bad secondary that killed us against the Jets and Raiders and blew 4th quarter leads. Or is this just stating the obvious. LOL

Ravens seem to prefer the sluggfests but did score 38 in Pitt a few weeks ago. We cannot afford bad Alex to show up like he did in those two blown games or the bad secondary that killed us against the Jets and Raiders and blew 4th quarter leads. Or is this just stating the obvious. LOL

I mean, anything could happen, but in general our defense has played well more times than their offense has.  So I'm less worried about that side of the ball.

Well, he’s kinda the leader of the unit which puts points on the board. Simple question for you - if the Ravens take Hunt out of the game, do you trust Alex to carry this team? And regarding the defense...I feel decent about their chances. We need need to get more pass rush, no doubt, but they’re not giving up a lot of points, and Peters has been playing like a man possessed. So yeah, I’m worried about Alex Smith’s ability to carry this team in a do-or-die game.

I know you weren't responding to me, but I have a few thoughts:

If Hunt goes out, I wouldn't be surprised if the back up does almost as well because of the team overlooking him. I don't expect it, but I won't be overly surprised.

If Hunt is there but is underutilized, I do trust Smith to win this game.

If Hunt is out and the backup plays poorly, I still think that Smith could win this game if the back up doesn't put the ball on the ground, but obviously the confidence factor is lowered.

In other words, we don't need Hunt to play well to win. I just think we need him there or is back up to play well. We, of course, we do need Smith's to play well, but that's just because he touches the ball every play.

In the divisional round, I do think we need Hunt to play well. But we have been close without a running back playing well and a stopped clock is right twice a day. Smith has played well in the past.

Archived