Would YOU play Mahomes on Sunday?

I've heard a lot of differing opinions on this since Sunday. Some folks are excited to see the kid play, other folks are worried about him getting an injury or playing a bad game and losing confidence. Others have said they don't want opposing teams having tape on him just yet and would prefer Bray to play. So what would yall do if you was Andy? 

When Smith was stinking up the place a large majority of the fanbase was adamant that a change was needed. But now that a change appears to be close, it seems like many are getting cold feet. I must admit, I'm a little concerned myself. On one hand I think him getting his first game out of the way in a tough environment would do him the world of good. On the other hand IF the kid were to have a nightmare like that kid Peterman at the Bills, could you imagine the reaction and how that would effect the post-season? I know him being that bad is HIGHLY unlikely but even just having a poor game and then having to sit on that for several months would be a bummer for him and the fans too. 

I really don't know what to think tbh. I've watched his performances from pre-season several times and though intensity levels would be taken up several notches, the game should be similar because there's is literally nothing on the line. So with that in mind perhaps I would play him. He's received praise off of both Naggy and Kelce, so perhaps it's time to see what they are talking about.

It’s invaluable experience to get a rookie a legitimate regular season start even if it is against the number one defense in the AFC. That said you can’t just throw him to the wolves out there against that defense with all backups. You’d almost need to start your oline.

1. I don't think his confidence is that fragile. Long slumps from the start, maybe, but he'd overcome. One game? Nah.

2. I think he'd do well or OK. Denver's D isn't as good anymore, but it's enough of a test. It's Denver's offense that is in question.

3. I am more concerned about an injury to Smith in a meaningless game than I am about Mahomes getting his feet wet. But both of these point to Mahomes playing.

4. Less concerned about Mahomes injury now than I would Week One next year. If Mahomes got injured on Sunday, we do still have Smith. Not Plan A, but certainly not Plan Z.

5. I doubt that we show anything substantive to give out "film" on Mahomes. I mean, one game tendencies, where he's at in his footwork, eyes, progressions, habits of holding on the ball or bailing too early would all be ironed out in the offseason - any team relying upon this game's tape for those things would be seriously behind the 8 ball.

6. Injury wise - I do think what is good for the goose (QB) is good for the gander (oline). I mean, if we start Mahomes because an injury to Smith would lead to an unpredictable situation for Mahomes (could be great or worse than Smith on short notice), then we should be worried about the oline injuries, too, when they finally seem to be playing better. But if we protect Smith and the oline, Mahomes is a bigger target for a cheap hit defense.

7. Less pressure on Mahomes than Peterman. Peterman has a worse coach, Mahomes is more solidly the future, he doesn't have to impress. He has to show that he can learn and play with live bullets. That's better than an audition.

There's literally zero reason to not play Mahomes. Not one. It's just too bad that the Chiefs' mid-season collapse put them in the same position they were in in 2013 when a regular season game didn't matter. But better to have a game's result not matter because it won't change your playoff seeding than it is to have a game's result not matter because it won't change your ineligibility for the playoffs.

I'd play Smith. I'd hate to get Mahomes injured in a meaningless game.

Hateful, spiteful excuse. Smith isn't quarterbacking a 12-3 team in contention for the AFC's top seed this weekend because his defense kept giving up fourth quarter touchdowns to teams that aren't even going to play in the post-season.

If Mahomes gets injured in a meaningless game, the Chiefs will know that Mahomes is too oblivious in the pocket to be ready to take the reins. If that's the extent of Mahomes' "pocket presence", the Chiefs need to know that now. And what does such a fear about starting Mahomes say about the Chiefs' offensive line? Only what I've saying for years.

If you want Mahomes to start for the Chiefs next year, but you don't want Mahomes to start this weekend, you betray a certain fear for your anointed one.

Hateful, spiteful excuse. Smith isn't quarterbacking a 12-3 team in contention for the AFC's top seed this weekend because his defense kept giving up fourth quarter touchdowns to teams that aren't even going to play in the post-season.

If Mahomes gets injured in a meaningless game, the Chiefs will know that Mahomes is too oblivious in the pocket to be ready to take the reins. If that's the extent of Mahomes' "pocket presence", the Chiefs need to know that now. And what does such a fear about starting Mahomes say about the Chiefs' offensive line? Only what I've saying for years.

If you want Mahomes to start for the Chiefs next year, but you don't want Mahomes to start this weekend, you betray a certain fear for your anointed one.

It's called a joke.  

I'd play Smith. I'd hate to get Mahomes injured in a meaningless game.

I'd play Bray. No risk, possible high reward. Not saying it will happen again, but didn't the Packers get a high pick for Matt Flynn because of one good game?

EDIT: one GREAT game.

Reid just said Mahomes will get the start.

This is Denver's super bowl and chance to show off Paxton Lynch against our back ups.

42-3 Denver as Lynch starts his HOF career turn around against who else...

Nothing would be better for the Chiefs than for the Donkeys to stick with these three scrub QBs!  They have zero chance with this group to be better than 8-8 next year. 

Im confused. Did we forget about Alex and the offense going into the complete crapper and wasting great defensive performances against NYG and Buf? No doubt between those two stinkers and blowing leads against the Jets and Raiders that this team should have at least 11 wins. Would that even matter now? Seems like we belong right where we are as the 4 seed.

As for the Chiefs oline. If they start all backups against the AFCs best defense out for blood, its concerning. I'd give Mahomes the starting oline even if he won't get to play with any of the three skill positions studs (who should absolutely sit). 

Archived