REID on Denver game: "I'll play a lot of youngsters along with Mahomes"

#Chiefs coach Andy Reid said he plans to play a lot of younger players this week vs. #Broncos. That includes Parker Ehinger, who I'm told the team plans to start at right guard in place of veteran Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

So let's do the maths yall. Ehinger at guard, Eligwe at inside linebacker, Kpass rushing, Nunez at defensive end, Erving at tackle? Devey at guard? Mcquay at safety? Justin Hamilton at tackle? Chesson as one of the receivers? It's gonna be interesting to see who sinks or swims. 

So which veterans would you play? I'd play Johnson alongside Eligwe, I'd play Robinson, DAT and Chesson as the receivers. And of course, Harris and Charles as the Tight ends. West and Akeem Hunt can deal with the running back roles aswell. Parker can partner Mcquay at safety with Mitchell, Revis and Nelson as the Cb's. I'd play Revis because having spent a year out the game I think the more reps he gets, the better. 

The O-line is gonna be interesting as Reid was uncertain as to whether Schwartz plays or not. I suspect Fisher will not certainly be rested along with LDT. Will Fulton be aswell? Who knows. Mahomes is gonna need some protection out there though so Andy better think very carefully about it. 

Erving at tackle? Devey at guard? ... It's gonna be interesting to see who sinks or swims...  Mahomes is gonna need some protection out there though so Andy better think very carefully about it. 

Erving and Devey are playing for their NFL careers. Maybe that will result in better pass protection. Who knows.

I don’t like resting linemen. Denver has a good defense and pass rush , and you want to throw your rookie qb out there with backup linemen? I do think Mahomes is going to do some good things with Robinson.

Agree completely. I’m good with Mahomes having to try and maneuver with backup skill position players. But you can’t throw a hodgepodge of backup olinemen.

I'm excited to see eligwe. I think (hope) he can be the DJ replacement.

I'd like too see Atkinson called up from the PS to play RB. At 6'1" 220 he is big and had 4.3 speed too

It would ideal to do something like this but you’d have to release someone.

Also keep in mind Andy is at his best after the bye week (this year aside when offense laid the biggest turd we’ve seen in this era). His game plan at Indy last time this happened was damn good and only got derailed by injuries. If I’m him I’m already cheating and looking at Baltimore and s little at Tennessee.

I expect to see some solid linemen on the field as it doesn't make sense to risk Mahomes' progression behind a terrible OL. Also would be nice to see what he can do pretty much with what Chiefs will have at OL next year. However I expect any players with any sort of injury sitting out.

Hard not to be excited about a kid this organization seems to like even more today than it did last April. Agree this isn’t any type of dress rehearsal at all. It’s just an attempt to get him valuable experience

“Chiefs believe they have something special in Mahomes.”

http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2017%2F1227%2Fdm_171227_NFL_mahomes_adam_schefter%2Fdm_171227_NFL_mahomes_adam_schefter.jpg&w=943&h=530&cquality=80

Archived