Would you take Shane Ray?

Just listening to the LockedOnChiefs podcast and they had a Denver fan on talking about their woeful season and previewing the game at the weekend. And within the conversation, he made an interesting comment about Shane Ray. He said because Shane has had injury problems, coupled with the good performances of Shaq Barrett, Denver may let Shane go in order to offer Shaq a big contract to keep him. 

So basically Denver may not be able to pay both Shaq and Shane. So with that in mind, would yall be happy for us to get Shane? The kid is still only 24 years old and is a former first-round pick. And we all know his history with the Chiefs, don't we? He may play for them, but he's a Chief at heart just like the rest of us :D . So I guess it would be a dream come true for him to play for the team he supports. The question is, would he improve our ability to get to the QB?

is a video of Ray doing his thing.

Ford still has upside, do we keep him around in your opinion? I personally don't.

The difference is Shane Ray is a Chief, is two years younger and plays on the right-hand side which is the side Ford doesn't seem to favor. So we'd have a better balance with Ray straight away and his motivation should be on a whole different level to Dee's considering Ray's affinity with the area and team. 

Ray and Ford are the same guy to me. Rusher that is light in the ass as far as bill rush and run D. Not many moves besides pure speed. Trouble staying healthy. I guess one of the two would be OK as pass rushing depth. I don’t see a well rounded starter in either.

Sounds good to me. Not a Ford fan.

Me neither. Ray wasn't hurt much in college. Mostly been sitting behind a future hof player in Ware but he did produce somewhat in limited opportunities. Finally gets his chance this year and tears a ligament in his wrist.

Thems the breaks i guess. Better than a bad back. That can wreck a career. Be interested to hear Stubby's take on Ray.

Ray over ford any day of the week. Ray is a tough dude and a great effort guy. Little light but fast as hell.

Yep, and the fact that he's a chief makes it even more appealing to me because I think he'd pour every ounce of sweat out there on the field for that red jersey. A fresh face in the rush department is desperately needed so why not get someone who has experience and is still young enough to get better? I don't see a downside to this IF it is indeed true that Denver will have to let him go.

As a real solution I would take neither. We already know that Ford is useless in 3-4 and Ray hasn't shown anything to command a decent contract. I would give him a shot with a lame contract though, see if he picked anything up from Miller and may be the scenery helps him out but no reason to get the hopes up.

There’s no way they are going to release a first round pick that’s been completely hampered by a wrist injury all season. I read he’s dropped almost 20 pounds because he hasn’t been able to do strength training since last August and he’s played with a cast and screws in his wrist

There’s no way they are going to release a first round pick that’s been completely hampered by a wrist injury all season. I read he’s dropped almost 20 pounds because he hasn’t been able to do strength training since last August and he’s played with a cast and screws in his wrist

Well, the Denver fans are saying they'll let him go because Shaq has been so good for them and they can't afford to keep both. Remember, injury is how we managed to get Ragland from the Bills. Sometimes an organization just doesn't want that on their plate and would rather move on to someone more reliable/healthy. So one way or another they might feel inclined to cut him or try to trade for a pick. 

Well, the Denver fans are saying they'll let him go because Shaq has been so good for them and they can't afford to keep both. Remember, injury is how we managed to get Ragland from the Bills. Sometimes an organization just doesn't want that on their plate and would rather move on to someone more reliable/healthy. So one way or another they might feel inclined to cut him or try to trade for a pick.

If they don’t think the wrist will ever be healthy I suppose. And he’s been a big dissapoijtment there overall. But he’s also only going to be 25 and cutting him saves only 1.6 million vs CAP so money isn’t an issue.

If they don’t think the wrist will ever be healthy I suppose. And he’s been a big dissapoijtment there overall. But he’s also only going to be 25 and cutting him saves only 1.6 million vs CAP so money isn’t an issue.

So what about Shaq? They need to spend big money on that offense so can they afford to keep both Shaq and Shane? 

Unless they are in dire need for money that's not savings worth considering for an OLB. They might as well try to trade him before considering a release. 

So what about Shaq? They need to spend big money on that offense so can they afford to keep both Shaq and Shane? 

I think Shaq is set as the 2nd guy opposite to Miller. He has shown more than Ray has from what I've seen and unless there's a problem with the timing of contracts he'll be the one they pick, at least he should be.

Unless they are in dire need for money that's not savings worth considering for an OLB. They might as well try to trade him before considering a release.

Teams with low paid QBs ldon’t have any CAP issues. They’re problem is all those QBs suck. I agree if they don’t like Ray trading him for a late rounder is possible. Just don’t see why a team would sell low like that. You can’t have enough cheap pass rushers.

Me neither. Ray wasn't hurt much in college. Mostly been sitting behind a future hof player in Ware but he did produce somewhat in limited opportunities. Finally gets his chance this year and tears a ligament in his wrist.

Thems the breaks i guess. Better than a bad back. That can wreck a career. Be interested to hear Stubby's take on Ray.

That dude claimed he doesn't pay attention to the broncos anymore. Would be worth noting his takes are utterly useless as is his sorry team 

Ray and Ford are the same guy to me. Rusher that is light in the ass as far as bill rush and run D. Not many moves besides pure speed. Trouble staying healthy. I guess one of the two would be OK as pass rushing depth. I don’t see a well rounded starter in either.

Shane Ray is much better than Dee Ford. Ray is a complete player and was SEC defensive player of the year his senior year. Dee Ford had always been a project and can't defend the run

Archived