Do yall think a bidding war will start for Alex?

It's gonna be very interesting to see what happens. Next years QB class doesn't really look that strong. Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Jackson appear to be the standouts but a few might not even enter the draft, whilst others may need to sit for a year. And after the great year Alex has had, I honestly think we're gonna be in a powerful position in the offseason. 

These are the list of teams that may be looking for a QB for next season.

Denver

Jacksonville

Arizona

Buffalo

Miami

Cleveland

Giants

Jets

Washington

I think Cleveland and the Giants may feel inclined to pick up one of the QB's in the draft. Maybe Denver too if Darnold and Rosen aren't gone before they pick. But the others? They all could come calling for Smith imo. Washington would obviously be ruled out if Cousins stays there, but I think three or four teams would definitely take Smith. Hell, there's already been talk about Buffalo being interested which is good to hear. 

But anyway, IF a bidding war were to transpire then what's the most we could expect? Two picks? A pick and a player maybe? What do yall think?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

doubtful there will be a bidding "war" Draft pick values and his cap hit prevents that IMO. I would expect  2 3rd round with maybe up to a 2nd  depending on performance. IMO anyone who expects to undo what was given for Mahomes are fooling themselves.

Best we can hope for IMO is Phatal follows him  :lol:

doubtful there will be a bidding "war" Draft pick values and his cap hit prevents that IMO. I would expect 2 3rd round with maybe up to a 2nd depending on performance. IMO anyone who expects to undo what was given for Mahomes are fooling themselves.

Best we can hope for IMO is Phatal follows him :lol:

I don't expect it, but I would love to undo what we sent the Niners for Smith. It would be funny to make it identical to the Browns. A third round conditional that turns into a second rounder if they make the playoffs or something.

My first thought is that CLE wouldn't give much for Smith because they can draft any QB at the top and should go that way.  JAX, AZ, and NYJ may be interested because the thin class of QBs in the draft will be gone before they pick.  If two of them are interested, Smith might bring a second.  Depends on the cap space of the buying team.  The Chiefs should be happy with two thirds.  There should be an interior lineman or ILB in the third with starting potential in the next two drafts.

Miami has Tannehill so if they’re in the market for a qb it’s gonna be a backup and you don’t give up picks prior to the third day for a backup.

Nyg. If they move on from Eli then they’re drafting a qb. If they wanted a veteran there’d be no reason to move on from Eli.

Denver. Eli makes sense there. I hope he doesn’t go there. They aren’t giving us anything for Alex smith.

Jax is gonna win their division and Bortles has put up a solid year and is only 25. They aren’t interested in Alex smith.

Washington? Kirk Cousins is five years younger than smith with similar numbers. They aren’t interested either.

The jets and Arizona need to get younger. Going from a 38 year old qb to a 34-35 year old qb makes zero sense for either franchise, particularly Arizona with chatter that Arians might be out after this year.

Cleveland needs a qb. They also have a ton of picks and a gm that knows there’s no point in offering something for a player that’s going to get released.

Everyone will stand pat until the chiefs release him, then my prediction is he’ll sign a fa contract with the bills.

The only people in the free world that think the chiefs are getting something of substance for Smith are chiefs fans.

Miami has Tannehill so if they’re in the market for a qb it’s gonna be a backup and you don’t give up picks prior to the third day for a backup.

Nyg. If they move on from Eli then they’re drafting a qb. If they wanted a veteran there’d be no reason to move on from Eli.

Denver. Eli makes sense there. I hope he doesn’t go there. They aren’t giving us anything for Alex smith.

Jax is gonna win their division and Bortles has put up a solid year and is only 25. They aren’t interested in Alex smith.

Washington? Kirk Cousins is five years younger than smith with similar numbers. They aren’t interested either.

The jets and Arizona need to get younger. Going from a 38 year old qb to a 34-35 year old qb makes zero sense for either franchise, particularly Arizona with chatter that Arians might be out after this year.

Cleveland needs a qb. They also have a ton of picks and a gm that knows there’s no point in offering something for a player that’s going to get released.

Everyone will stand pat until the chiefs release him, then my prediction is he’ll sign a fa contract with the bills.

The only people in the free world that think the chiefs are getting something of substance for Smith are chiefs fans.

Did you read the OP properly? Guess not. The question is IF COUSINS DOESN'T STAY WITH WASHINGTON, which right now is looking likely. Furthermore, your comment about the Jets and Zona "going from a 38 year old to a 34 year old makes zero sense" is absolutely laughable!!  :D . Er, it's not about the "age", it's about how productive Smith could be for either franchise. And the fact that both of them will most likely be missing out on the decent pickings of the QB's in the 2018 draft, makes them turning to Smith even more likely. You then ducked the Bills situation because you know they are likely to be interested!!! LOL. 

But go ahead and keep dreaming that we're gonna get nothing for Smith if that makes you feel better. 

Let’s say the roles were reversed and smith and his situation was with Buffalo. The same people claiming he’s worth a second would be freaking out if the chiefs were gonna offer that to buffalo. I guarantee the majority of those thinking he’s worth a second would absolutely not be ok with giving away a second for him

We have no leverage. The only ones dreaming are the ones that think we’re gonna get a second round pick for him.

Count me as one who feels pretty confident we will get a day two pick for him. The Chiefs can easily play bluff game we are going to retain him. Heck they could legitmately rework his contract and sell it that way. I think Denver would trade for him too and draft a QB as well. Andy traded McNabb within his own division. I doubt this actually happens though. But seriously when was the last time a 4,000 yard 25 TD, 5 INT passer was released. That’s not happening st this point Veachs job is to at the very least create the illusion of a bidding war.

I think that there definitely could be....One team calls and offers a stack of dollar scratch off tickets, another offers a pallet of off-brand laundry detergent SHIPPING PAID from their facility to ours, while a third trumps all bids and sends us some vouchers to eat at Golden Corral half off. 

I'd be happy if we got a 7th rounder for him...Just get him the fuck out of a Chiefs uniform.

Let’s say the roles were reversed and smith and his situation was with Buffalo. The same people claiming he’s worth a second would be freaking out if the chiefs were gonna offer that to buffalo. I guarantee the majority of those thinking he’s worth a second would absolutely not be ok with giving away a second for him

And then there are those of us who don't understand why anyone would want to spend a tenth-overall on Mahomes when they had Smith already.

Smith's value is not comparable to his value in 2013 because his contract has one year remaining at $17 million instead of two years remaining at $8 million each. Still, if the Vikings could spend what they did to acquire Sam Bradford, perhaps there's a team that would part with something close to a first-round pick for Smith. Still, the problem is that Smith has the leverage in any trade: He's not going to the Browns or some other dysfunctional team; his market's better than that. Therefore, such a trade would involve a team with a roster that could contend for a Super Bowl, but lacks primarily a quarterback. I don't think there is such a team in the NFL right now. Maybe the Broncos.

Well, that makes for a painful train of thought. At least the 49ers had the sense to trade Smith out of the conference.

We have no leverage. The only ones dreaming are the ones that think we’re gonna get a second round pick for him.

RUBBISH!!. The 2018 QB draft class is simply not good enough and many teams in need of a QB will most likely be picking in the middle of the first round by which time Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield will most likely be gone. If you don't think the likes of Zona, Jets and Bills wouldn't be prepared to secure a decent, experienced QB for a 2nd or 3rd then you're fooling yourself imo. Especially when Alex would suit the Bills system and they have a bunch of picks so could easily do a deal.

And then there are those of us who don't understand why anyone would want to spend a tenth-overall on Mahomes when they had Smith already.

Smith's value is not comparable to his value in 2013 because his contract has one year remaining at $17 million instead of two years remaining at $8 million each. Still, if the Vikings could spend what they did to acquire Sam Bradford, perhaps there's a team that would part with something close to a first-round pick for Smith. Still, the problem is that Smith has the leverage in any trade: He's not going to the Browns or some other dysfunctional team; his market's better than that. Therefore, such a trade would involve a team with a roster that could contend for a Super Bowl, but lacks primarily a quarterback. I don't think there is such a team in the NFL right now. Maybe the Broncos.

Well, that makes for a painful train of thought. At least the 49ers had the sense to trade Smith out of the conference.

Jags

Broncos

Titans - maybe - mariota regressing (injury?)

The Vikings were in season and in panic mode because their starter got hurt. Hardly comparable.

I don't expect a bidding war but definitely a couple offers could be sweetened with some competition. I expect the market for Smith to be around late 2nd and with some interest it could go all the way up to an early 2nd. There are a handful of QBs coming out and even more teams that need to replace the guys they have so it'll be a fun process for the sellers.

Yeah...all 3 of you...

Then there's the other 99.9999999 percent of the fan base who are ecstatic about the investment.

There’s three or only two? Alex’s Dad and the fan club President. Zero chance any legit Chiefs fan is in on this deal.

First, Andy’s not trading Alex Smith to a division rival with Alex still having plenty of tread left on his tires. Second, if he’s traded, it will likely be to a contending team, so scratch teams like the Browns from this equation. Third, I think we can get a 2 for him, and Washington could be a real possibility if Denver goes after Cousins as rumored. Oh, and the key to this entire thing is how well Alex performs in the playoffs. If we go one-and-done, we’re screwed, but if Alex takes us far we’ll be in a good spot to be able to trade him.

First, Andy’s not trading Alex Smith to a division rival with Alex still having plenty of tread left on his tires. Second, if he’s traded, it will likely be to a contending team, so scratch teams like the Browns from this equation. Third, I think we can get a 2 for him, and Washington could be a real possibility if Denver goes after Cousins as rumored. Oh, and the key to this entire thing is how well Alex performs in the playoffs. If we go one-and-done, we’re screwed, but if Alex takes us far we’ll be in a good spot to be able to trade him.

He could easily go to Cleveland, Even if they draft a QB they may want Smith to bring him along. Cleve needs to get respectable ASAP. Dorsey knows Smith. Could happen.

Yeah, for example, does anyone really think that Andy would have traded McNabb to Washington at age 34?

Oh, wait.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaDo00.htm

Archived