Alex Smith, folks

And if "pretty damn solid" was the goal, then Mahomes would have never been drafted. Fortunately there are those in the organization who have loftier goals than that.

You are spot on. That said, Alex did a marvelous job doing what he was brought in to do, bridge the gap from bad to now. Because of Alex , we are in a position to give the young future the best possible chance to succeed by having capable players around him. Mahomes is stepping into a much better situation than Alex did, thanks in large part to Alex. That’s not to say that Alex is anything more than he is, a slightly above average quarterback with an impeccable work ethic and great character. I’m hopeful that Alex has more than one game left in him as a member of the chiefs, but come July this is Mahomes team. Knowing that allows me to cheer on Alex, because he’s done what he’s needed to do but won’t be part of a process that’s drug out longer than it needs to be.

Those figures don't really show if a QB is solid or not. However it's nice to have a QB that protects the ball but also that sense of protection might and do hurt the team in certain situations. Some traits are good to have but must never be the personality, which is where Smith failed IMO. 

Just giving credit where it’s due. I’ve been very critical of Alex Smith and his limitations during his time here, but the reality is that the guy has been pretty good. For the sake of the Kansas City Chiefs, let’s hope Mahomes is what we think he is, because if he’s not we’re in trouble.

Just giving credit where it’s due. I’ve been very critical of Alex Smith and his limitations during his time here, but the reality is that the guy has been pretty good. For the sake of the Kansas City Chiefs, let’s hope Mahomes is what we think he is, because if he’s not we’re in trouble.

We are sitting in a position most franchises would drool over. A solid veteran QB playing the best football of his career headed into a home playoff game and the most talented young backup in the league poised to take over an offense soon that has three Pro Bowl skill position players. Two of which are under 25.

Alex isn't elite and the debate about greatness is real. That said, the Chiefs won the AFC West for the first time in franchise history. Last year they won it largely on the back of the defense. Thus season they won it largely on the back of the offense. Smith has been a great QB for the Chiefs. And now the Chiefs have a young talented QB to pass the torch too without missing a beat. So happy to be a Chiefs fan

I do not get all the Alex Smith hate.  He has done a pretty damn good job, especially this year.  During todays game there was a screen shot that has Alex as the 1st in several categories,  better than Brady.  Not saying he is better than Brady but he is doing better this year.  Also J. Feely said during the game that the Chiefs should keep Alex at least one more year for Mahommes to learn from.  How many years did Rogers sit behind Favre and he turned out OK.

I do not get all the Alex Smith hate. He has done a pretty damn good job, especially this year. During todays game there was a screen shot that has Alex as the 1st in several categories, better than Brady. Not saying he is better than Brady but he is doing better this year. Also J. Feely said during the game that the Chiefs should keep Alex at least one more year for Mahommes to learn from. How many years did Rogers sit behind Favre and he turned out OK.

Listen i like alex but let's not get carried away. After the season ends Andy will say something to the effect of Alex is still our starter. This is s.o.p. and is meant to make teams think you're not releasing him to drum up trade partners. But the reality is Mahomes is ready to start now so not trading Alex is just delaying the Mahomes learning curve.

I do not get all the Alex Smith hate. He has done a pretty damn good job, especially this year. During todays game there was a screen shot that has Alex as the 1st in several categories, better than Brady. Not saying he is better than Brady but he is doing better this year. Also J. Feely said during the game that the Chiefs should keep Alex at least one more year for Mahommes to learn from. How many years did Rogers sit behind Favre and he turned out OK.

Favre was a hof qb. Alex smith is not Favre

I don't believe I said that Alex as a Favre, or Brady or anyone else.  I know the Chiefs are moving on to Patrick and I am ready for a QB of the future  since there has not been one since Lenny.  I just do not understand so much hate for someone that has done so well.  Especially this year.

Archived