Tennessee Titans

I think he would absolutely prefer to stay an extra year in KC, even on a one year contract essentially.  Top tier coach, winning franchise, a chance at a trophy still and decent pay.  Would also be a completely unrestricted FA in 2019 and would be able to maximize his value.

He's likely either Arizona or Cleveland bound without another year and his chances of getting a ring goes down a lot.

They can create cap space without trading Alex.  It's not a slamdunk, but he can't remind Veach and Reid exactly why they packaged up 2 first round picks and a 3rd rounder to take his replacement.

Ford, Hali, DJ, Bailey puts them up to over 30.  That's more than enough to continue functioning.

Hes gone. Same reason SF wanted a change. Mahomes must start. You can not waste another rookie year QB contract. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I agree, but Andy is absurdly loyal to Alex Smith. You're kinda preaching to the choir here.

No he's not. If he was he would not have signed off on trading up for mahomes.

He is a pragmatist though and realized alex gave us a better chance this year

No he's not. If he was he would not have signed off on trading up for mahomes.

He is a pragmatist though and realized alex gave us a better chance this year

Andy signed off on Mahomes because he understands fully that Alex's time is about up and he had hit his absolute ceiling.  If Alex were around 5 years younger, he'd still be the guy.

Andy signed off on Mahomes because he understands fully that Alex's time is about up and he had hit his absolute ceiling. If Alex were around 5 years younger, he'd still be the guy.

No. Age wouldn’t matter. This is the best version of Alex and he’s still getting replaced.

Andy signed off on Mahomes because he understands fully that Alex's time is about up and he had hit his absolute ceiling. If Alex were around 5 years younger, he'd still be the guy.

Maybe. He'd also still be the guy if he'd have listened to Andy 2 years ago when he said it was time for Alex to start consistently taking some chances with the ball. He finally did this year but too little too late.

No. Age wouldn’t matter. This is the best version of Alex and he’s still getting replaced.

It certainly does.  Andy knows when to cut bait before it's too late.

Even with lack of success in the post-season in consideration, Alex has been the most winning QB that Andy Reid has had and regular season wins is enough to keep your job here.

It certainly does. Andy knows when to cut bait before it's too late.

Even with lack of success in the post-season in consideration, Alex has been the most winning QB that Andy Reid has had and regular season wins is enough to keep your job here.

Alex smith at 28,with mahomes on the bench, you are still going mahomes.

Alex Smith at 28 means Mahomes is never drafted by the Chiefs.

Because Alex was setting the league on fire at 28?

It’s a tired debate. Alex was stop gap. Niners didn’t want to build around him either. Chiefs didn’t have a choice.

Alex is a great leader, with limited skills, which will be evident yet again in the playoffs.

It’s all about the money. It’s a business. Reid knows the cash flow can be used to strengthen other areas of the team.

If it wasn’t about money, smith would be the qb. The guy wins games. Does Reid know his ceiling ? Probably. But if it costs relatively the same for either qb Reid would go smith. He has the experience.

I thought this topic was about us facing the Titans.

Because Alex was setting the league on fire at 28?

It’s a tired debate. Alex was stop gap. Niners didn’t want to build around him either. Chiefs didn’t have a choice.

Alex is a great leader, with limited skills, which will be evident yet again in the playoffs.

Well yeah, but Andy loves his strengths and it has got him a contract extension.  Doesn't matter what the 49ers think or thought.

Andy thinks he can win with Alex or Alex wouldn't be playing.  This is a really silly off-tracking regardless.

Definitely a game of trenches, unfortunately their OL is way better than out DL so some guys need to step up big time. LBs will have a ton of work against Henry but overall we need to get some sure tackling as they have been gaining those extra 1-2 yards that add up to 1st downs.

Scary thing is the Titans beat us at Arrowhead last December 19-17 and Alex Smith was awful in that game. Sounds like a familiar home playoff game doesn’t it. However if Andy and Alex use that bad loss the right way this week, I think it can actually help us win. I don’t care how but we have to win. Fluke, dominant or otherwise.

Scary thing is the Titans beat us at Arrowhead last December 19-17 and Alex Smith was awful in that game. Sounds like a familiar home playoff game doesn’t it. However if Andy and Alex use that bad loss the right way this week, I think it can actually help us win. I don’t care how but we have to win. Fluke, dominant or otherwise.

For all the criticism of Mahomes being a gunslinger, people forget that Alex directly cost us TWO games last year not just by game-long sucking but by bad red zone INTs.

That was how I felt when we lost to the bills at arrowhead. They are fairly similar teams.

Actually the bills had a much more competitive schedule. #5 I think. Buffalo is much scarier to me than Jax or Tenn.

Why does every thread have to turn into a QB argument?  There's a 90% chance that Smith will be gone next season and Mahomes will be starting.  That's what the Chiefs invested so much draft stock for.  So why keep bringing up a Smith/Mahomes debate?  Smith won a high percentage of games in KC but his time in over after the playoffs.  Enjoy the wins, anticipate the playoffs, look forward to the new future.  Pretty simple.

Why does every thread have to turn into a QB argument? There's a 90% chance that Smith will be gone next season and Mahomes will be starting. That's what the Chiefs invested so much draft stock for. So why keep bringing up a Smith/Mahomes debate? Smith won a high percentage of games in KC but his time in over after the playoffs. Enjoy the wins, anticipate the playoffs, look forward to the new future. Pretty simple.

Cause it's fun...

For all the criticism of Mahomes being a gunslinger, people forget that Alex directly cost us TWO games last year not just by game-long sucking but by bad red zone INTs.

Indeed. We should have been 14-2. My issue here is that Alex finally made some gutsy red zone throws and I have a hard time criticizing him for that. One of those however was really bad.

Archived