How can you NOT be impressed with Mahomes

And I'll grant this.

Today I saw a quarterback who looked just like he did at Texas Tech. I literally have no basis for projecting this kid's future. Nothing about today suggests that he's going to adapt to a West Coast Offense as soon as next September.

You saw exactly what you wanted to see. If you cant see the improvements in his drops and his footwork in general you are blind. We had a receiver who had a career day today and the bulk of those yards came from passes and formations that are a staple of the west coast offense. He made a couple outstanding throws in the pocket including his longest of the day to Demetrius Harris over the middle on a dime.

I think the saddest thing about this is that you are so far up Smiths ass that you actually believe what you are saying to be true. So its hard to get mad at you. You arent trolling or just trying to stir things up. You actually believe Alex Smith is a top 5 QB and Mahomes isnt ready to lead a team.

Fortunately the people that are paid to do this and lead this team see what literally everyone here but you sees. You heard the former NFL players and coaches saying it on the halftime show too. We have something special here. And its not Alex Smith.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game. This was the 5th coldest home game in broncos history. Irving was at left tackle. No Kelce. No Hill. Sherman at tailback. On the road against one of the NFLs best defenses on his first start. He fucking balled. He didn't sandlot. He made play after play. Really an unbelievable performance under the circumstances. I listened to the Broncos radio coverage after the game. They couldn't say enough good things about what he did.

We won't be running a pure WCO offense. Andy will adapt the offense around Mahomes and mix in spread concepts that highlight what he does well, just like he did for Alex. Andy has been prepping for this since he came to KC. Why you think he hired guys to scout the spread? At some point he was going to be breaking in a new qb, most likely from a spread offense.

They don't run a pure WCO with Alex.

I saw a qb playing a legit D behind one of the sorriest interior Olines in the NFL and over come numerous drops by second rate receivers all while running for his life.   For all those complaining about his lack of WC acumen go back and look how much time he had to throw the ball.   Alex doesn't even attempt half of those passes today and while I'm happy with Alex's play this year the future is beyond bright for KC.   Is Pat better than Alex right now?  Probably not but I doubt Alex could have done that with what Pat had at his disposal.   He didn't look like the game was too big for him and he looked light years better than Paxton Lynch playing with the #1's all game.   

He has work to do but he's definitely got elite qb ability and if anyone things that Alex will be here next year short of winning the SB this year must be Alex Smith's relatives.

I was at the game. This was the 5th coldest home game in broncos history. Irving was at left tackle. No Kelce. No Hill. Sherman at tailback. On the road against one of the NFLs best defenses on his first start. He fucking balled. He didn't sandlot. He made play after play. Really an unbelievable performance under the circumstances. I listened to the Broncos radio coverage after the game. They couldn't say enough good things about what he did.

I couldn't believe reading some of the posters on this board critiquing him all the while not mentioning the crap interior Oline and backup skill players dropping quite a few balls and playing on a frozen tundra.   I think his performance all but sealed his status as our 2018 starter, unless Alex wins us the SB.

The Broncos were subbing in a lot of reserve guys, on Defense at least, as the game progressed.  Trying to debate starters vs. reserves is a tiring debate.

We saw more of what we saw from Mahomes in the summer and we saw that he is improving and he was able to go out and seal the deal on a game winning drive.  On the flipside, leave Tyler Bray at a bus station.

We haven’t really run a wco in years. The wco is largely predicated on short quick throws to tes and rbs. I saw Mahomes reading drag routes, flat routes and even ran a qb option. These are all the same plays smith has run. Trying to beat down Mahomes on the scheme is stupid.

A little of NYE drinking, but my main thing is that Mahomes or any QB for Andy will be primarily working with WCO elements and whoever starts for him has to execute the bread and butter of that system to perfection.

lol Andy's playbook has a thousand pages. I think he'll be fine. Something in there has to work.

We haven’t really run a wco in years. The wco is largely predicated on short quick throws to tes and rbs. I saw Mahomes reading drag routes, flat routes and even ran a qb option. These are all the same plays smith has run. Trying to beat down Mahomes on the scheme is stupid.

This is an excellent point. Reid tailors his offense to his QBs strengths. I doubt all of a sudden hes gonna become adamant about not expanding the playbook, formations, or adhering strictly to the WCO just for the sake of staying within the WCO.

Reid has had success with nearly everyone he has had to work with at QB and I doubt hes had anyone with this kind of ceiling. I dont think he is going to take away the kids playmaking ability outside the pocket or limit his ability to push the ball down the field. These are his strengths. They will use them.

I just finished watching the the game.  I like liquidfriend's assessment because it humbles me, and does  not lets me  get too excited about Mahomes.  I have to lay the disclaimer out right now, I'm drunk, and it's New years 2018.

I'm impressed with Mahomes. I was impressed with him the little I watched from pre-season and am impressed with him  now. What impressed me was the way he handled the Broncos blitz. He didn't panic and kept his eyes down field. I like his confidence in his arm, although it can be a detriment at times.  

Without writing  a  long paragraph, I  will just say, I believe the Chiefs and Reid have made the right decision in drafting Mahomes.  

Happy new years!!

lol Andy's playbook has a thousand pages. I think he'll be fine. Something in there has to work.

Reid likes to run a lot of quick strikes and short routes to set up 2nd/3rd and short plays.  It's something Pat will get, but it will of course take some time.

I'd really like to see them go after a big body power receiver that can snatch those typical WCO passes for short gains and move the chains with power when it matters most.  This Offense is really lacking at WR for that role.

Reid likes to run a lot of quick strikes and short routes to set up 2nd/3rd and short plays. It's something Pat will get, but it will of course take some time.

I'd really like to see them go after a big body power receiver that can snatch those typical WCO passes for short gains and move the chains with power when it matters most. This Offense is really lacking at WR for that role.

Dez Bryant?

Just keep in mind that half of the guys Mahomes had to work with probably won't be on the roster in 2018. He made Wilson look like a legit do-it-all WR with an OC that cannot even snap the ball right. I was surprised to see the lack of snaps under center, I wonder if Reid wants to spend even more time with Mahomes on short leash.

The kid just brings an instant talent and energy to the table most Chiefs fans have never seen. Heck playing with backups he had many more yards and completed a much higher percentage than Alex did in his last game vs Denver. To put him on the bench and then bring him back in to run 2 minute offense and win game in Denver is just a sign of what’s possible.

That he runs around in circles without consistently making quality throws from the pocket? It's the product of not making quality reads and executing quickly. The league's great quarterbacks aren't playing like that. Don't you wonder why?

Lunacy. It was his first freakin game. Against the league’s #2 defense. I wonder how Saint Alex’s first game went?

Lunacy. It was his first freakin game. Against the league’s #2 defense. I wonder how Saint Alex’s first game went?

You can look it up. It wasn't good. And yet Smith's supporting cast in 2005 was worse than what took to the field with Mahomes yesterday. Of course, Smith also made his start against a Peyton Manning-led Colts team that went 14-2, not a Paxton Lynch-led Broncos team that went 5-11.

Alex's first start came in the 5th game of 2005 versus Indy's 15th ranked passing defense.

Stat line:

9 for 23 for 74 yards, no td's, 4 int's. 39.1% completion rate. 3.2 yard average. Took 5 sacks for 30 yards. QB rating was 8.5 - eight point five.

In other words he shit the bed.

You can look it up. It wasn't good. And yet Smith's supporting cast in 2005 was worse than what took to the field with Mahomes yesterday. Of course, Smith also made his start against a Peyton Manning-led Colts team that went 14-2, not a Paxton Lynch-led Broncos team that went 5-11.

Yeah Payton Manning was one of the best cornerbacks ever. Or did he play linebacker?

lol mahomes just beat an elite defense with 2nd and 3rd string players. Credit where credit is due.

Archived