How can you NOT be impressed with Mahomes

I'm excited by the future not the past. i got no ill feelings toward AS11 but IMHO   #15 is the future and after 50 + years of being a Chiefs fan  and 43 years of a season ticket holder I see an new QB that could actually be a home grown product we can be proud of. And for the record  I knew Blackledge was a bust from draft day one

Damn you're old!  :lol:

Anyone who isn't jacked by the potential we saw in Mahomes yesterday is just looking to complain about something. 

How many QBs did we pass over to select Blackledge? Talk about nauseating.

It's about time we drafted a legit QB. The kid's gonna be good.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I literally just discovered that Mahomes is bi-racial. If that's where you were going, you've already lost a discussion that was center on actual quarterbacking abilities. I could care less what race he was. Play from the pocket.

old news for the rest of us yet you feel the need to bring up race....pathetic

Alex's first start came in the 5th game of 2005 versus Indy's 15th ranked passing defense.

Stat line:

9 for 23 for 74 yards, no td's, 4 int's. 39.1% completion rate. 3.2 yard average. Took 5 sacks for 30 yards. QB rating was 8.5 - eight point five.

In other words he shit the bed.

Come on, he was 13 for 23 not 9/23. Those interceptions count as receptions. ;)

old news for the rest of us yet you feel the need to bring up race....pathetic

What are you talking about? The guy he was responding to said PhataL did not like Kaepernick, Wilson, etc. suggesting race. He was defending himself, not citing race as being a factor.

Damn you're old!  :lol:

Anyone who isn't jacked by the potential we saw in Mahomes yesterday is just looking to complain about something. 

watching him play yesterday was like opening  a long awaited Christmas present

Damn you're old! :lol:

The moment wasn’t too big.

He showed exactly what we thought he had.

What are you talking about? The guy he was responding to said PhataL did not like Kaepernick, Wilson, etc. suggesting race. He was defending himself, not citing race as being a factor.

Yes I did imply that and I would do that again.  Tyrod Taylor is a high-efficiency player who makes the occasional play with his legs---who does that sound like?  Let me answer:  he has a game FAR closer to Alex Smith than Mahomes.  Kaepernick and Griffin aren't even in the league right now, which I understand was sort of his point, but there are SIGNIFICANT external factors in both cases beyond their play (political controversy and injury, respectively).  Wilson is a Superbowl champ and two-time NFC champ.  It may be subconscious, but he is lumping in all those players as "sandlot" players when they all have very different games.  You can't win with Wilson?  Ridiculous.  This is the Bills' first playoff appearance in 18 years and Taylor gets blame, not credit?  Ridiculous.

Yes I did imply that and I would do that again. Tyrod Taylor is a high-efficiency player who makes the occasional play with his legs---who does that sound like? Let me answer: he has a game FAR closer to Alex Smith than Mahomes. Kaepernick and Griffin aren't even in the league right now, which I understand was sort of his point, but there are SIGNIFICANT external factors in both cases beyond their play (political controversy and injury, respectively). Wilson is a Superbowl champ and two-time NFC champ. It may be subconscious, but he is lumping in all those players as "sandlot" players when they all have very different games. You can't win with Wilson? Ridiculous. This is the Bills' first playoff appearance in 18 years and Taylor gets blame, not credit? Ridiculous.

Wilson is one of the best players in the nfl. If Seattle hadn’t of gone all dipshit on the goal line, Wilson would be a two time champ!

Griffin was ruined by bad coaching decisions.

Kap was in a super bowl and another championship game..

Mahomes' success doesn't require Smith's failure, this is just the process of the NFL. With Smith at QB Chiefs came up to a level and now looking to take that beyond with Mahomes for the next decade and may be even longer. 

Smith won some games this year that Mahomes probably wouldn't have.  At the same time, do we think Mahomes might have won against NYG, BUFF, and NYJ?  There will always be some drops, but Mahomes was victim of too many yesterday.  The starting O-line isn't that good, but what Mahomes played behind yesterday was terrible.  Bad snaps shouldn't happen with starters.  The point being that Mahomes played well enough to overcome a number of unusual disadvantages and the winning drive was impressive.  OK, Denver did substitute backups on defense later in the game, but what we saw yesterday was a highly talented QB with a winning attitude.  The upside is special.

I have tried hard to avoid being emotional in this whole QB debate.  I have always liked Alex Smith as a QB and I think he was an great addition to the Chiefs. If we look back, he was the perfect choice to turn the franchise around after the disaster regimes of Herm and Haley.  Of course, he was probably the only solid option at the time as well.  The fact that Smith has won a playoff game for KC matters to me as we have had so many epic fails since Montana and before that - Dawson....

That said, I think it is time to move on at QB if Smith does not get the team to the SB this year.   Yesterday, Mahomes showed me that he will be a very good to excellent NFL QB.  He is intelligent, gifted athletically and he wants to to be great.

He also showed, as mentioned by others, that "the moment" is not too big for him.  In fact, he relishes it.  That is huge for any pro athlete.

I hope we see a great playoff run this year but even if we don't, I think the future in KC is very bright with Hunt, Kelce, Hill, Ragland, Peters, Butker and Jones....The core is pretty darned solid.

w

you are 100% right KCSLC2008, i missed that part of the thread. all i saw was Phatal's reply

To you Phatal i apologize for the post that i made about you...bad look for me to start a new year

I have tried hard to avoid being emotional in this whole QB debate.  I have always liked Alex Smith as a QB and I think he was an great addition to the Chiefs. If we look back, he was the perfect choice to turn the franchise around after the disaster regimes of Herm and Haley.  Of course, he was probably the only solid option at the time as well.  The fact that Smith has won a playoff game for KC matters to me as we have had so many epic fails since Montana and before that - Dawson....

That said, I think it is time to move on at QB if Smith does not get the team to the SB this year.   Yesterday, Mahomes showed me that he will be a very good to excellent NFL QB.  He is intelligent, gifted athletically and he wants to to be great.

He also showed, as mentioned by others, that "the moment" is not too big for him.  In fact, he relishes it.  That is huge for any pro athlete.

I hope we see a great playoff run this year but even if we don't, I think the future in KC is very bright with Hunt, Kelce, Hill, Ragland, Peters, Butker and Jones....The core is pretty darned solid.

w

I agree West. It's weird, but I'm not that hyped about the playoffs. It will be nice to win, but I'm excited about the teams future with Mahomes.

Smith won some games this year that Mahomes probably wouldn't have.  At the same time, do we think Mahomes might have won against NYG, BUFF, and NYJ?  There will always be some drops, but Mahomes was victim of too many yesterday.  The starting O-line isn't that good, but what Mahomes played behind yesterday was terrible.  Bad snaps shouldn't happen with starters.  The point being that Mahomes played well enough to overcome a number of unusual disadvantages and the winning drive was impressive.  OK, Denver did substitute backups on defense later in the game, but what we saw yesterday was a highly talented QB with a winning attitude.  The upside is special.

One of the disadvantages you didn't mention is that we were down to Sherman at RB.  That's maybe the most impressive part.

Not sure if Mahomes would have won those games, one thing to keep in mind is that he's a rookie and came form a non-pro system so the special performance we have seen yesterday is probably where he's at now and there's a good chance that he wasn't there a couple months ago. I love the upside and at looks like he'll be a very special player for years to come but the luxury of not starting from day one sure helped him a lot. The offense would have to be watered down for him like it's done for most rookie QBs.

I have tried hard to avoid being emotional in this whole QB debate. I have always liked Alex Smith as a QB and I think he was an great addition to the Chiefs. If we look back, he was the perfect choice to turn the franchise around after the disaster regimes of Herm and Haley. Of course, he was probably the only solid option at the time as well. The fact that Smith has won a playoff game for KC matters to me as we have had so many epic fails since Montana and before that - Dawson....

That said, I think it is time to move on at QB if Smith does not get the team to the SB this year. Yesterday, Mahomes showed me that he will be a very good to excellent NFL QB. He is intelligent, gifted athletically and he wants to to be great.

He also showed, as mentioned by others, that "the moment" is not too big for him. In fact, he relishes it. That is huge for any pro athlete.

w

In the years to follow, what I would like but don't expect from everyone but most is the following:

1. Mahomes to play excellent to great and for there to be no comparison to Smith anymore than Brady is to Smith. I mean, we never really compare Smith to Brady. There's no point. The fact that both Mahomes and Smith played on the team with a bunch of teammates that will overlap, means very little to me.

What I mean by that is Smith is Smith and Mahomes is Mahomes and hopefully Mahomes is great. I don't really care for comparisons beyond that. If we could compare 2018 Mahomes with 2019 Mahomes that would be optimal. I'm hoping Mahomes is in a whole other category and we don't have to compare anything. I don't feel like putting Smith down. Just elevating Mahomes when he plays well.

2. This year is a bit different and so when somebody says that's a throw Smith wouldn't make, I think it is relevant because Smith is still here and has games to play. But next year when Smith is gone, I think it's irrelevant. A new era means a new era. We will then be looking at Mahomes and how he's improving, etc.

3. If Mahomes struggles next year and Smith does well with his new team, I think it is irrelevant. We can't compare what would happen if we kept Smith for one year and so I don't think it is fair to Mahomes. If Mahomes wins the Super Bowl next year and Smith doesn't this year, I think those comparisons are relevant. But different teams at different times on different developments in stages in their careers, I think one can certainly believe Mahomes is better, but I don't think it is relevant to the discussion. It would be beating a dead horse.

Those are just my thoughts. I don't expect anyone else to follow. If you ever catch me comparing next year when it is not in direct response to someone else comparing, you can call me out on it.

Alex's first start came in the 5th game of 2005 versus Indy's 15th ranked passing defense.

Stat line:

9 for 23 for 74 yards, no td's, 4 int's. 39.1% completion rate. 3.2 yard average. Took 5 sacks for 30 yards. QB rating was 8.5 - eight point five.

In other words he shit the bed.

Ouch. Heck game 2 he was 8-16 for 92 yards and an INT. Mahomes is SO far ahead of this learning curve which is good because we’d be in trouble if he wasn’t.

Smith won some games this year that Mahomes probably wouldn't have. At the same time, do we think Mahomes might have won against NYG, BUFF, and NYJ? There will always be some drops, but Mahomes was victim of too many yesterday. The starting O-line isn't that good, but what Mahomes played behind yesterday was terrible. Bad snaps shouldn't happen with starters. The point being that Mahomes played well enough to overcome a number of unusual disadvantages and the winning drive was impressive. OK, Denver did substitute backups on defense later in the game, but what we saw yesterday was a highly talented QB with a winning attitude. The upside is special.

What Mahomes did with a backup cast vs one of the best defenses in the AFC was impressive. But mostly it was just obvious that the game at this level wasn’t to much for him. As such it’s absolutely time to move on and live with all the things that Mahomes brings initially. I believe that will be a more consistently productive offense but also quite a few more mistakes. Plus 17 million in extra CAP space to help upgrade roster. Plus hopefully a decent draft pick to do the same.

Oh good lord don’t remind me. Fucking schottenhiemer wouldn’t let joe be joe. And Kimble’s uncharacteristic drop... yikes

We had the Bills on their heels on that last drive before the half. Seems much like the Oilers a week before that we had them figured out. And then Kimbles huge error followed by the knockout blow. We’ve never had a QB near that level again and likewise never been as close to a Lombardi since.

Archived