How can you NOT be impressed with Mahomes

We had the Bills on their heels on that last drive before the half. Seems much like the Oilers a week before that we had them figured out. And then Kimbles huge error followed by the knockout blow. We’ve never had a QB near that level again and likewise never been as close to a Lombardi since.

Yep... and in fairness, we knew joe was for the NOW. Git r done quick... that’s what joe was brought in to do.

I’m older’n dirt and I can’t remember having a real QBOTF.

We’re in uncharted waters folks.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep... and in fairness, we knew joe was for the NOW. Git r done quick... that’s what joe was brought in to do.

I don’t like the term qbotf. Mahomes is ready now. The postseason is Alex’s swan song. Mahomes needs to be starter by otas 2018.

My thoughts exactly as I was watching the game.. will be interested in seeing how much patience the fans have as we have not been through  the "Growing Pains" before.

My thoughts exactly as I was watching the game.. will be interested in seeing how much patience the fans have as we have not been through  the "Growing Pains" before.

The growing pains with Mahomes may not be that severe.  Unlike most QBOTFs, he's coming into a winning program rather than having to rescue some 4-12 team.  Sure, he'll probably lose some games that an experienced QB would expect to win, but I think the Chiefs could be a playoff team with Mahomes at the controls next year.  Mahomes is more in the position of Aaron Rodgers at the beginning of his career than that of David Carr.

The growing pains with Mahomes may not be that severe.  Unlike most QBOTFs, he's coming into a winning program rather than having to rescue some 4-12 team.  Sure, he'll probably lose some games that an experienced QB would expect to win, but I think the Chiefs could be a playoff team with Mahomes at the controls next year.  Mahomes is more in the position of Aaron Rodgers at the beginning of his career than that of David Carr.

great point & I agree..its his pooch to screw. 

The growing pains with Mahomes may not be that severe. Unlike most QBOTFs, he's coming into a winning program rather than having to rescue some 4-12 team. Sure, he'll probably lose some games that an experienced QB would expect to win, but I think the Chiefs could be a playoff team with Mahomes at the controls next year. Mahomes is more in the position of Aaron Rodgers at the beginning of his career than that of David Carr.

Agree completely. I was going to say we won’t be as consistent, but then again where’s the consistency now. Again I want to become the team that expects to win in January rather than hopes we can and most often doesn’t.

Agree completely. I was going to say we won’t be as consistent, but then again where’s the consistency now. Again I want to become the team that expects to win in January rather than hopes we can and most often doesn’t.

Things change fast.  In only a couple of years, Brady will be gone, big Ben is getting older, Philly and the Rams have solid winning QBs.  The trick for the Chiefs is to keep the young talent at the level of Hill, Hunt, Peters, Jones and a few others while filling in for the more mature talent while staying out of cap trouble.  Having a good QB that's not yet breaking the bank is a big plus.  For a cynical old coot, I'm pretty optimistic about the next five years.

Also nobody has mentioned this was a cold weather game, where even according to Reid the ball was getting slippery in the 4th quarter..

17 degrees at game time, saw something that looked like either sleet or snow.... and we come out throwing.

also brey, put us in 2nd place for the fewest turnovers in an nfl season.. up to that point we had 10, which would of tied us for first with the patriots.

Also nobody has mentioned this was a cold weather game, where even according to Reid the ball was getting slippery in the 4th quarter..

17 degrees at game time, saw something that looked like either sleet or snow.... and we come out throwing.

also brey, put us in 2nd place for the fewest turnovers in an nfl season.. up to that point we had 10, which would of tied us for first with the patriots.

Good points. I think Bray is a fine 3rd QB

. He needs more game experience to be sure. Imagine Mahummus in mid September flinging the rock around...unreal.

Yes I did imply that and I would do that again.  Tyrod Taylor is a high-efficiency player who makes the occasional play with his legs... This is the Bills' first playoff appearance in 18 years and Taylor gets blame, not credit?  Ridiculous.

You do realize that Tyrod Taylor's offense ranked in the bottom eight in the league in Points For, right? It doesn't matter what you think about Taylor: He's going to get canned after the Bills lose to Jacksonville, and then he's going to be a free agent with an undesirable market. He's just another one of those quarterbacks with a highlight reel not complemented by a quality game management résumé.

Taylor is a millstone to the team, going 1-5 in games in which the team allowed more than 17 points.

The last time we appeared in an AFC Championship game.... It's time.

That's the post-season that got me into watching the Chiefs.  I hadn't seen any of that regular season, and was still in tech school in Tulsa OK. It was all Dallas Cowboys on TV, and I hated them.

I watch the Chiefs beat the Oilers and was really hyped up. When Montana got hit in the championship game, I knew the run was over. Wish I had seen the Steelers game, I heard that was one for the ages. 

I followed the Chiefs die-hard after that season, and it's hard to believe it's been that long (can't imagine how OT, wilkie and a few others on hear feel). I never was really that thrilled about the idea of the Chiefs never drafting a QB, and getting them from other teams. I always rooted for the players once the Chiefs got them, and wished/hoped for success, but really wanted them to draft someone.

Yes I did imply that and I would do that again. Tyrod Taylor is a high-efficiency player who makes the occasional play with his legs---who does that sound like? Let me answer: he has a game FAR closer to Alex Smith than Mahomes. Kaepernick and Griffin aren't even in the league right now, which I understand was sort of his point, but there are SIGNIFICANT external factors in both cases beyond their play (political controversy and injury, respectively). Wilson is a Superbowl champ and two-time NFC champ. It may be subconscious, but he is lumping in all those players as "sandlot" players when they all have very different games. You can't win with Wilson? Ridiculous. This is the Bills' first playoff appearance in 18 years and Taylor gets blame, not credit? Ridiculous.

Tyrod is a very similiar player to Alex Smith actually without the head coach or talent around him that Alex has. And yet it was Tyrod and the Bills winning at Arrowhead this year that went a long way towards getting them into the postseason.

Phatal is an idiot, and there is a reason I have him on ignore.  When Mahommes scrambled, he looked to throw, and made some AWESOME plays, alex would have pulled the ball down and run!!!!  Mahommes made throws yesterday that just made me go WOW!!!  I like Alex, but Mahommes is special, and Phatal needs to quit being AS11 little brother and realize he did things yesterday that AS11 could of never thought of!  

Phatal is an idiot, and there is a reason I have him on ignore.  When Mahommes scrambled, he looked to throw, and made some AWESOME plays, alex would have pulled the ball down and run!!!!  Mahommes made throws yesterday that just made me go WOW!!!  I like Alex, but Mahommes is special, and Phatal needs to quit being AS11 little brother and realize he did things yesterday that AS11 could of never thought of!  

But what does Smith do that Mahomes didn't?

You do realize that Tyrod Taylor's offense ranked in the bottom eight in the league in Points For, right? It doesn't matter what you think about Taylor: He's going to get canned after the Bills lose to Jacksonville, and then he's going to be a free agent with an undesirable market. He's just another one of those quarterbacks with a highlight reel not complemented by a quality game management résumé.

Taylor is a millstone to the team, going 1-5 in games in which the team allowed more than 17 points.

You are making several completely unrelated statements, some of them incorrect.  First off, you're using points scored as the measure of a QB, which is an imperfect stat at best.  At no point did I say Taylor was great, only that you can't put Buffalo's failures to make the playoffs since 1999 on him.  And what happened when they went away from him for a game this year?  They were an utter disaster.

But the point I was making is that you have lumped him in with "sandlot" QBs, which couldn't be further from the truth.  He has Alex Smith-level athleticism, Taylor's rushing stats for the last three years are very similar to Smith's 2013 and 2015 in terms of total yards and Y/A.  Taylor was first (lowest) in interception percentage this year and has been in the top 10 the last three years.

HE.  IS.  ALEX.  SMITH.  But for some reason you lump him in with Wilson, Kaepernick, and Griffin.

Every pundit I read and listen to think he is a middle of the road QB who is efficient but not spectacular.  None of them think he is holding Buffalo back from great things.  The all ridiculed Buffalo when they tried out one of your precious pocket passers and it blew up in their face.

You are simply wrong, wrong, wrong about what type of QB Taylor is because you are stuck on narrative about "sandlot" QBs.  You're also wrong about how good Wilson is and you're ignoring the circumstances around Kaepernick and Griffin's demises, but I don't really care to get into all of that.  I will not further speculate on why you are stuck on that narrative.

You are making several completely unrelated statements, some of them incorrect. First off, you're using points scored as the measure of a QB, which is an imperfect stat at best. At no point did I say Taylor was great, only that you can't put Buffalo's failures to make the playoffs since 1999 on him. And what happened when they went away from him for a game this year? They were an utter disaster.

But the point I was making is that you have lumped him in with "sandlot" QBs, which couldn't be further from the truth. He has Alex Smith-level athleticism, Taylor's rushing stats for the last three years are very similar to Smith's 2013 and 2015 in terms of total yards and Y/A. Taylor was first (lowest) in interception percentage this year and has been in the top 10 the last three years.

HE. IS. ALEX. SMITH. But for some reason you lump him in with Wilson, Kaepernick, and Griffin.

Every pundit I read and listen to think he is a middle of the road QB who is efficient but not spectacular. None of them think he is holding Buffalo back from great things. The all ridiculed Buffalo when they tried out one of your precious pocket passers and it blew up in their face.

You are simply wrong, wrong, wrong about what type of QB Taylor is because you are stuck on narrative about "sandlot" QBs. You're also wrong about how good Wilson is and you're ignoring the circumstances around Kaepernick and Griffin's demises, but I don't really care to get into all of that. I will not further speculate on why you are stuck on that narrative.

This guy reminds me of fbeam during the herm era. Got into arguments with him daily. Any chance they are the same person ?

Archived