Chiefs mock 2.0

liquidfriend

• 3 weeks later...

2.  Justin Reid, S  Stanford

-Chiefs trade their 2nd, 7th, a 2019 6th and WR Chris Conley to the Arizona Cardinals to for pick #47-

The Chiefs total Defensive collapse began with the Safety position.  Berry going down and Ron Parker slumping hard killed them all season long.  Reid and a returning Berry will turn a dumpster fire into a point of strength.  We're fortunate this draft is deep at Safety, with many quality FA's still out there, so they won't be top priority selections.

The Cardinals need 2 new starting quality WR's, which they won't get from just the draft.  They could use a cheap starting option that can also help spring David Johnson open.  For KC, they won't have the means to keep him beyond 2018 and has became expendable with the Watkins signing.  They have plenty of options on the roster for the slot, and could use the extra nearly 2m in cap space he would bring.

3.1.  Tim Settle, DL  Virginia Tech

The Chiefs roll the dice on Settle sliding into the 3rd round and it pays off.  I think he can play similar to Dontari Poe, but isn't as much of an athletic freak.  Could get better in that department with proper weight training.  Can play allover the DL, can 1-gap and 2-gap and can eventually be a 3 down player.  Absolutely worth a roll of the dice here.

3.2.  Frank Ragnow, OL  Arkansas

Can play either Guard or Center, but will play LG early on.  Could end up sliding to Center if Morse is allowed to walk.

4.1.  Marcell Frazier, DE/OLB  Missouri

My source says the Chiefs feel Dee Ford should finally be over the back problems, and feel he will have a big year.  So in result, I don't anticipate an edge guy early but they will absolutely address the depth at some point in case he turns back to brokedick Dee.

4.2.  Holton Hill, CB  Texas

Good size, physical corner.  Will compete for a starting role.

6.  Will Dissly, TE  Washington

Competition for Harris.

7.  Brian Allen, OL  Michigan State

Zach Fulton replacement.

That’s a good mock. If it went that way I would be happy.

I wonder though, if 47 is high enough for Reid. I think he might be the only safety apart from Fitz and James that go in round 1.

The mock I am working on now has us trading up to 32 for Reid, or Josh Jackson, if he falls.

That’s a good mock. If it went that way I would be happy.

I wonder though, if 47 is high enough for Reid. I think he might be the only safety apart from Fitz and James that go in round 1.

The mock I am working on now has us trading up to 32 for Reid, or Josh Jackson, if he falls.

I feel that once Fitzpatrick, James and Harrison come off the board, teams are going to wait it out till somebody blinks for the next round of Safeties to fly off the board.  I'm feeling the latest the 2nd wave will start is with the 48th pick (Chargers).  They are all doing a staredown with a frankly, rather good group of safeties still sitting out in FA.

If they can free some cap, I can see them actually completely eschewing the draft class and grabbing a FA on the cheap.  Will form a mock in that situation, soon.

2.  Carlton Davis, CB  Auburn

-Chiefs trade the 54th pick, 6th round pick, WR Chris Conley and 2019 2nd round pick to the Bears for 39-

The Chiefs have been aggressively scouting corners and decide to make a power move to get their top target.  Davis+Amerson+Fuller is a solid trio.

3.1.  Tim Settle, DL  Virginia Tech

The Chiefs roll the dice on Settle sliding into the 3rd round and it pays off.  I think he can play similar to Dontari Poe, but isn't as much of an athletic freak.  Could get better in that department with proper weight training.  Can play allover the DL, can 1-gap and 2-gap and can eventually be a 3 down player.  Absolutely worth a roll of the dice here.

3.2.  Frank Ragnow, OL  Arkansas

Can play either Guard or Center, but will play LG early on.  Could end up sliding to Center if Morse is allowed to walk.

4.1.  Marcell Frazier, DE/OLB  Missouri

My source says the Chiefs feel Dee Ford should finally be over the back problems, and feel he will have a big year.  So in result, I don't anticipate an edge guy early but they will absolutely address the depth at some point in case he turns back to brokedick Dee.

4.2. Tyler Conklin, TE  Central Michigan

Should be rather productive being the underneath guy that will be completely ignored.

7.  Brian Allen, OL  Michigan State

Zach Fulton replacement.

Sign post draft:

Kenny Vaccaro (3yr/19m--actually a 1yr/3m deal with 2 team option add-on year) Can be a younger version of Ron Parker.

• 3 weeks later...

Final one

2.  Anthony Miller, WR  Memphis

I think this kid could be the missing piece for Andy's high profile passing attack.

3.  Tim Settle,  DL  Virginia Tech

He has the profile of a Dollar General Dontari Poe, which is fine for the 3rd round.  Can't see Andy leaving Friday without taking a fatty.  Reminds me so much of Poe.

3.  Breeland Sparks, DL  Ole Miss

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs double up on Dline.  Why?  Well, it all starts up front and the Chiefs have really struggled to get it done up front for the last few years and that's the key element that they need to have for a lot of 3-4/sub packages.  Don't give two shits about what Dee Ford can or can't do if they're getting fist-fucked at the LoS.

4.  Holton Hill, CB  Texas 

The Chiefs will bet on at least one weed guy, and this is the right spot for it.

4.  Ian Thomas, TE  Indiana

They add at TE to avoid another situation like the Titans loss.

6. John Kelly, RB  Tennessee

Great value here for a poor mans Kamara.

7. Trevon Young, DE/OLB  Louisville

A real gamble with the medicals, but could work out maybe.

7.  Charvarius Ward, DB  Middle Tennessee

Depth.

A well-balanced draft until the final round where who cares really.  Not every need has been filled, but I don't think it made sense to force needs.

The downfall of Dontari Poe and the bipolar performance of Bennie Logan stuck out a lot.

Need to get some penetration (giggity) if we want to go back to a one gap life.

Only guy that can do it with much success is Chris Jones.

We have the ILB's capable of gap filling again, so need to fix up front.

Archived