REDZONE OFFENSE!!!

What can we do to improve this aspect of our game? We've left points on the table throughout most of this season. But it's been quite glaring over these last three games. Hopefully Pat will make a difference next season, along with having Ware back aswell. But imo I think we might need a few more offensive weapons (6'4 or 6'5 WR imo) that can give us several options for when we enter the Redzone. Because right now teams know that if they cover the "big three" effectively, there isn't much else for the QB to go for apart from Wilson who isn't really known for his Redzone excellence. 

I also hope Andy can come up with a few more tricks for that playbook during the offseason aswell. The more innovative we can be, the better.

Run if we're close, but don't run up the middle each time and don't get too cute. I know that I sound like I'm contradicting and talking in hindsight, but I've seen us run down the middle three straight times and either not score on fourth down or kick a field goal. I've also seen us do something stupid and go backwards. So while I don't think we should go up the middle each time and just try to power it, I think that there are other ways to do it without being too cute.

Run if we're close, but don't run up the middle each time and don't get too cute. I know that I sound like I'm contradicting and talking in hindsight, but I've seen us run down the middle three straight times and either not score on fourth down or kick a field goal. I've also seen us do something stupid and go backwards. So while I don't think we should go up the middle each time and just try to power it, I think that there are other ways to do it without being too cute.

You don’t run sideways near the goal line. With that being said I u derstand what your saying. They can’t be predictable within the redzone. Need to find ways to isolate Kelce with his size in throwing situations.

Mahomes and his arm and willingness to fit ball into smaller windows will make a definite difference with a little time. Instead of averaging about 18-20 TD passes I’ll bet he’s quickly in the 30 TD range.

Also adding a big body WR for the red zone makes sense again because Pat is more likely to use him.

You don’t run sideways near the goal line. With that being said I u derstand what your saying. They can’t be predictable within the redzone. Need to find ways to isolate Kelce with his size in throwing situations.

I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about, but there is more than one gap to run through or block for. Maybe each time we have been stymied has been a different gap. I don't know. But it seems like we have done the same thing just trying to power through before.

I also hate the designed roll out where they effectively lose half of the field immediately.

Alex Smith is 19th in red zone effiency by the way completing only 46 percent of his passes inside the twenty. 25th last season. 21st in 2015. Tighter windows and passes he can’t or won’t make. It’s why he’s got 50 less TDs than D McNabb despite similiar other numbers.

I also hate the designed roll out where they effectively lose half of the field immediately.

I think with PM2 it will he different. He has the strength to row back across his body which means teams will have to defend all the field. I am excited to see what he can do for a full season after sitting for a year learning and then having the off season with the #1s. He will make some bone headed throws but man some if his throws in a tight window were just glorious to see.

Alex Smith is 19th in red zone effiency by the way completing only 46 percent of his passes inside the twenty. 25th last season. 21st in 2015. Tighter windows and passes he can’t or won’t make. It’s why he’s got 50 less TDs than D McNabb despite similiar other numbers.

If the receiver isn’t wide open, it’s throw it away and save the field goal. Making sure you get points is the right thing to do, but you can’t get into a shell either. Two red zone possessions, one pair ends in a pick and a td, the other pair both end in fgs. The pair with the turnover still yields more points. We have too much talent at the skill positions for our kicker to be breaking volume records. A possession receiver is an absolute need , but our current red zone percentage is more qb than anything else. As I’ve said before, the problem with smith isn’t the plays he makes , it’s the plays he doesn’t make that hurt.

Ironically that's why we lost to Tennessee last year. Stoned inside the goaline 4 times and the Bad Alex Smith pick inside the redzone.

We'll be better this time around. If we get a two score lead TN has no chance.

I will take the credit and the blame. I found a hole in the time space continuum where last year's game was done this year but I traded it for this Saturday's game. It might've cost us a win and possibly the first seed last year, but oh well. I felt it was more important this year in the playoffs. (Yes, I don't know what the time space continuum is called.)

Overall redzone offense is still terrible but there have been some good calls in the last few games and the Chiefs seem to be lacking only the execution. I'm guessing there has been some extensive work on the redzone plays over the 2-week period. This is where coaching needs to take over.

I'm not sure what the solution is either, but here's make take.

It seems like the way the Chiefs offense is ran, at times they only get small chunks of yards (3 yards hear, 5 yards there). Smith will efficiently dunk and dunk down the field, finding small holes in the opponents defense. It's like how the old style WCO works from what I understand, using passes for runs.

This is even done when the Chiefs get inside or near the 20 yard line. They will dink and dunk, get whatever yards they can and end up right on the goal line. It's compacted and harder to score that close. You either have to get creative or just power in, and that takes strength and good blocking. 

Whenever the Chiefs have scored, a lot of time it's been Hill for a massive play downfield, Hunt for a big run, or Kelce out leaping someone. I haven't watched a lot of Chiefs games this season, mostly the losses, so I could be wrong, but that's how it seems to me.

Not blaming Smith, that's just the way it is. 

Chiefs have built a very agile OL with guys that can get to the second level when needed and manage athletic defenders. However we need tough short yardage guys in the goalline situations. The team is so focused on dink and dunk in the open field that it became an identity. Hopefully that'll change in the offseason.

Archived