Reid the Winner

Many head coaching firings and retirements going around the NFL. Jon Gruden might be heading to the AFC West to rival up against Reid. 

Reid, who has dominated the AFC West besides those couple of losses to Denver when Manning was still elite. It finally feels good to be a CHiefs fan and laughing at all the other cities digging for answers. 

Mahomes will take under center to secure another exciting beginning. Reid's goal is to win a SUperbowl and I feel KC is pretty damn lucky to have him. I must mention he's a champ down the stretch. He's 13-2 the last 3 seasons in December. 

Happy New Year CHIEFS

Gruden has been away for a while and it only gets harder for the Raiders as guys like Mack will command big time contracts.   They have to continue to draft at a high level which isn't an easy thing to do in this league.   

Yup..will make it interesting tho

I heard Gruden is even getting a percentage of ownership... that could be bad for the rest of the AFC west

The other NFL owners will vote this down. They have to vote on ownershi9 and no way do they let this become a precedence. He will get monetary compensation instead.

He's been out of coaching for 9 years...it's a different era of players. There's no guarantee he will pick up right where he left off. Like gruden, but I don't think he is a guaranteed success

Can't think of to many guys that took that kind of time off and came back. Vermeil did. We all know what he did. Gibbs did with the Skins. He never won the division and in 4 years made the playoffs twice losing in the first round both times.

I kinda feel like he will be closer to Gibbs type production than Vermeil. He is a sub .500 coach after he won the SB. For his career he has had 1 11-5 season, 2 12 -4 seasons and the other 8 have been 8 to 9 wins or below. I don't think he will meet the hype he will get. Lotta mediocrity mixed in with some good.

Bring him on

The other NFL owners will vote this down. They have to vote on ownershi9 and no way do they let this become a precedence. He will get monetary compensation instead.

Honestly I was surprised they'd consider it, after Gruden had the falling out with Al. 

Had Carl Peterson been smart enough to ditch Grbac instead of Gannon, Gruden would not have had the same level of success in his first stint with the Raiders

Honestly I was surprised they'd consider it, after Gruden had the falling out with Al.

Had Carl Peterson been smart enough to ditch Grbac instead of Gannon, Gruden would not have had the same level of success in his first stint with the Raiders

But he did have Gannon and now he's getting a hell of a QB in Carr if he's healthy and gets his head straight again. Be an interesting comeback to follow regardless. I'd be excited if it were 5 years ago as a fan, but I just don't think Gruden will be all that.

Guessing they only vote for a “majority” owner. Doesn’t Beyoncé and some other singers/actors own shares of the Phins? I could see the Raiders giving up a % or two.

But he did have Gannon and now he's getting a hell of a QB in Carr if he's healthy and gets his head straight again. Be an interesting comeback to follow regardless. I'd be excited if it were 5 years ago as a fan, but I just don't think Gruden will be all that.

I don't see the hype with Carr either, that's a lot of 'ifs' for him to be a good QB.  He wasn't very good before he got hurt (again), he wasn't very good when he got back either.  I think teams (especially us) have figured out his weaknesses and exploiting it badly.  Remember how much that team was hyped after signing Lynch and Cook, retaining that offensive line and still had Cooper and Crabtree and yet they were garbage.....

Guessing they only vote for a “majority” owner. Doesn’t Beyoncé and some other singers/actors own shares of the Phins? I could see the Raiders giving up a % or two.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21921030/oakland-raiders-preparing-pursue-jon-gruden-possibly-offer-ownership-stake

Raiders owner Mark Davis has offered Gruden an ownership stake in the past, according to sources, and if Davis were willing to do so again, the contract would have to be approved by all 32 NFL owners.

An ownership source said owners might not be so quick to approve the deal, because they wouldn't want to establish a precedent. The NFL's finance committee also would have to vet Gruden; it would be that body, along with input from several owners, that would be responsible for raising an objection to an ownership clause.

Even if Gruden's deal is not approved because of the ownership condition, his contract could be negotiated in a way that would pay him a commensurate amount if fellow owners or the finance committee did not approve the deal.

What I read on another message board:

Raiders Coaching Staff Reportedly Turned on Derek Carr During Loss vs. Chiefs

Derek Carr was a Pro Bowler in 2015 and 2016, but he apparently lost the support of his coaching staff this season.

Oakland Raiders broadcaster Greg Papa explained on his radio show Tuesday that the coaches ripped the quarterback during a team meeting after Week 14.

"This coaching staff turned on Derek Carr as well," Papa said, via Karl Buscheck of 95.7 The Game. "After the Kansas City game they called him out in front of a whole team meeting. It wasn’t just the offense or the quarterbacks, [or] a segment of the team. It was the whole team. And they ripped him in front of everybody and Derek’s a prideful guy."

Carr had two interceptions in the 26-15 loss to the Chiefs, which became the beginning of the end for the Raiders season. Oakland lost its final four games to drop to 6-10, averaging just 13 points scored per game in this stretch.

The 26-year-old quarterback—who signed a five-year, $125 million contract extension in the offseason—produced an 86.4 rating this year after finishing with a 96.7 mark last season.
Oakland fired head coach Jack Del Rio and is expected to replace him with ESPN announcer Jon*Gruden, per ESPN's*Adam*Schefter.

The Raiders finished in the top 10 in points scored three times in four years with *Gruden at the helm from 1998 to 2001, so they will hope he can get the most out of Carr in 2018 and beyond.

That is the hallmark of a crap coaching staff. Same stuff AS 11 dealt with in SF. Mike Nolan, Singletary, Jimmy Raye...all effing clueless when it comes to developing a passing game. Their unsophisticated crap gets exposed by any competent NFL defense, and instead of accepting responsibility for not having evolved into a modern NFL offense -- an offense that keeps the defense honest and on its heels -- they look for scapegoats.

I literally hate the old school mentality across the NFL that a good QB should be able to overcome a crappy OC or game plan. How many times do we need to see guys like Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay come in and mold QBs into pro bowl quality players for the average fan to understand that coaching is critical for the development of these QBs? Heck, even AS 11 was molded into a pro bowl level QB after his first 6+ years. Carr is as talented a QB as there is in the league...look out if the Raiders ever hire an OC who is not a moron.

Archived