Referees get criticized for controversial calls in Titans-Chiefs playoff opener

Former NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira is employed by Fox and not the NFL anymore, and he has generally been honest with his criticism.

Still, his blunt comment about the officials after the Tennessee Titans’ 22-21 win over the Kansas City Chiefs in the first game of the NFL postseason was startling.

Mike Pereira

@MikePereira

Horrible way to start the playoffs. I hate to say it but this was not a good performance by the crew. Teams and fans deserve better.

Plenty will agree with that assessment. There were many questionable calls by referee Jeff Triplette and his crew throughout the game. Even on a call the crew got right, Marcus Mariota’s crazy touchdown pass to himself, Triplette explained that it was legal because Mariota was in the shotgun before the play. That didn’t matter at all, once the ball was tipped in the air Mariota was an eligible receiver. It’s amazing he didn’t know that.

The play that will irk Chiefs fans for a long time came in the second quarter. Mariota was sacked by Derrick Johnson and fumbled before he hit the ground. The Chiefs had a clear recovery. But the officials ruled that Mariota’s forward progress was stopped and the play was dead, even though that seemed to be a ridiculous ruling. Mariota was hardly moving forward when Johnson crushed him. Because the ruling was that forward progress was stopped, the play couldn’t be reviewed. The Titans kept possession and kicked a field goal on the next play, a huge difference in a one-point Chiefs loss.

There were other questionable calls. Chiefs fans weren’t happy that Mariota was ruled as down on a two-point conversion sack in the fourth quarter, because they thought the Chiefs defense had taken a fumble back for two points of their own. But the whistle had blown. Late in the game, the Chiefs appeared to have a miracle fumble return for a touchdown, but it was immediately clear to anyone that Derrick Henry was down before the ball came loose. That fumble return was reversed, and it was hard to understand how the crew could have missed the call on the field that badly. The Titans had a complaint too, having to waste a replay challenge on a third-down spot that was way off early in the game. The Titans won that challenge.

Triplette was criticized heavily on social media during the Titans-Chiefs game. Even the former VP of officiating couldn’t resist piling on.

I respect your opinion and agree they were a factor, not the reason. Always when there is a blown call or 7 it's a huge mountain to overcome. Mentally and physically. Should the refs get blame for calling a terrible game, *Absolutely!* However, it's not the reason we lost, and quite frankly, it took me a long time to learn this but it's counter productive to believe it. It's an excuse and nothing more.

If it was a fumble the Chiefs would have the ball and the Titans would not have 3 points for a FG, the Chiefs would have won by 2 points, so lets just concentrate on the facts. ;)

That was the second quarter...many things would have happened differently after that. Might we have won? Sure! Not everything will play out exactly the same as it does if something changes prior, and you never know what the changes will affect. That is actually the facts. ????

Can’t say this enough. We cannot put ourselves in position to get beat by bad calls against a mediocre team like this. We just weren’t good enough period. Nothing would be worse for our future than giving the organization a pass on the fact we need more talent and better coaching. There’s a great baseline of both to build on, but we also need some major changes and that absolutely includes going with Mahomes at QB. Im perfectly fine with taking a step back to go forward two. Just don’t band aid this and blame it on officials.

That said the crew was awful and the league needs to bench them . Plus from my vantage point at Arrowhead Jeff Triplette looked like a senior citizen that had a hard time getting from point A to point B much less officiating playoff football. Rewatching the game he said tipped pass to Mariota was legal because he was in the pocket. WTF? Does he really think being in the pocket had any relevance. Just odd.

Quit making excuses for these lousy referees and their mistakes.

Triplette was so awful yesterday he retired within 24 hours of the game being over.

Yes the Chiefs made mistakes and lost, but just as big of a contributor to that were these shitbag refs.

Can’t say this enough. We cannot put ourselves in position to get beat by bad calls against a mediocre team like this. We just weren’t good enough period. Nothing would be worse for our future than giving the organization a pass on the fact we need more talent and better coaching. There’s a great baseline of both to build on, but we also need some major changes and that absolutely includes going with Mahomes at QB. Im perfectly fine with taking a step back to go forward two. Just don’t band aid this and blame it on officials.

That said the crew was awful and the league needs to bench them . Plus from my vantage point at Arrowhead Jeff Triplette looked like a senior citizen that had a hard time getting from point A to point B much less officiating playoff football. Rewatching the game he said tipped pass to Mariota was legal because he was in the pocket. WTF? Does he really think being in the pocket had any relevance. Just odd.

agreed mloe, but the ref actually said Mariotta was 'from the shotgun, making him eligible' which is not even a rule.

any player is eligible once the pass is tipped by a defender

Bullshit

We lost because we couldn’t stop mariotta on 3rd and long

Sutton has to go. I'm so tired of seeing him with that deer in the headlights look when things go wrong. This team needs a serious infusion of testicular fortitude. They,re soft and need someone like Rex Ryan to come in and instill a nasty attitude. Another TE sure wouldn't hurt, either. After Kelce they have crap.

Quit making excuses for these lousy referees and their mistakes.

Triplette was so awful yesterday he retired within 24 hours of the game being over.

Yes the Chiefs made mistakes and lost, but just as big of a contributor to that were these shitbag refs.

Don’t let bad officiating mask the fact we need more talent and better coaching to be a legit playoff contender.

agreed mloe, but the ref actually said Mariotta was 'from the shotgun, making him eligible' which is not even a rule.

any player is eligible once the pass is tipped by a defender

My bad. I misquoted his craziness. Just mind boggling he thought Mariota in the shotgun had any relevance. I see now he’s retiring. He looked like a feeble old man out there and perhaps his mind has deteriorated just as much.

My bad. I misquoted his craziness. Just mind boggling he thought Mariota in the shotgun had any relevance. I see now he’s retiring. He looked like a feeble old man out there and perhaps his mind has deteriorated just as much.

They certainly screwed the pooch ain’t no doubt

I just lol at all those folks blaming the loss on the refs...

Can’t imagine this team going to NE or Pitt... we’d get killed

We’re banged up and our backups just can’t get it done

They certainly screwed the pooch ain’t no doubt

I just lol at all those folks blaming the loss on the refs...

Can’t imagine this team going to NE or Pitt... we’d get killed

We’re banged up and our backups just can’t get it done

This is exactly my point. If I’m reading box right we had a grand total of three first downs in the second half and gave up well over 100 yards on the ground. We let the officials become a factor. It’s on us. We’ve got a very solid core of talent that clearly also needs to be upgraded so we can compete in earnest with the elite in January.

IMO, defense did not lose this game. Not scoring one damn point in the second half lost this game. You can’t just keep giving the ball back to them and then blame your D when they score.

Mariota had 205 yards with 2 TDs a a pick. The D got credit for 2 turnovers, but really forced 4. They were pathetic against the run. +202, but I think this was an all around poor performance.

And why do we keep running it out on kickoffs. We rarely get to the 25 which would be given to us automatically with any chance of fumble or illegal block.

This is exactly my point. If I’m reading box right we had a grand total of three first downs in the second half and gave up well over 100 yards on the ground. We let the officials become a factor. It’s on us. We’ve got a very solid core of talent that clearly also needs to be upgraded so we can compete in earnest with the elite in January.

We have a great core, when healthy. Jeez the injuries killed us this year. Really looking forward to next year. All these people hollering to clean house top to bottom are wrong. We’ll be in the thick of it next year, with a QB and some draft picks for AS via Cleveland or Whomever. This is a solid team... need to shore up the DL and pick up an LB.

Archived