DJ says he plans on playing next season

Chiefs’ Derrick Johnson says he’s ‘definitely playing ball’ next season

By Sam McDowell

smcdowell@kcstar.com

Derrick Johnson’s future in a Chiefs uniform might be in doubt, but his plans to prolong a 13-year NFL career are not.

In the aftermath of the Chiefs’ playoff loss to the Titans on Saturday, Johnson said he will play at least one more NFL season — even if it’s not in Kansas City.

“I’m definitely planning on playing ball again. That’s not a question,” he said. “But it’s not the time to talk, I guess, (about) where I’m going to be playing it.”

After a brief pause, he added, “I’m a Chief.”

But will he be next season? The Chiefs can save $8 million against the salary cap by cutting Johnson, whose playing time decreased slightly in 2017.

Johnson, 35, who is the Chiefs’ all-time leading tackler, has played all 13 of his NFL seasons with Chiefs. He is a two-time All-Pro pick.

The Chiefs drafted him out of Texas with their first pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article193393829.html#storylink=cpy

I love DJ. He has been a great Chief. But the defense needs to vastly improve and he was on the slow end of too many missed running backs. Time to move on...

Him and Peters are the only defenders who showed up. Revis is crap. Gave up on that last big run.

I love DJ. He has been a great Chief. But the defense needs to vastly improve and he was on the slow end of too many missed running backs. Time to move on...

Yes but this is what the chiefs do, they hold on to players way to long for sentimental or nostalgic reasons (Hali)

only one way i want to see DJ in KC next season, he retires and becomes a LB Coach....

DJ looked to be one of the better players for the Chiefs and hopefully he'll come back next year but at this point it should be at a reduced salary. I like Ragland and KPL as a duo and Wilson isn't a bad backup. Having DJ in the mix would be very useful but I don't like the idea of paying him 8 million. 

DJ looked to be one of the better players for the Chiefs and hopefully he'll come back next year but at this point it should be at a reduced salary. I like Ragland and KPL as a duo and Wilson isn't a bad backup. Having DJ in the mix would be very useful but I don't like the idea of paying him 8 million. 

Nope

DJ was easily the DPOG. He still can play at a high level in this league. That said, his salary is too much. Ragland is a stud. KPL and Wilson are serviceable. Eligwe could step up and be the guy next to Ragland.

If you can get DJ cheap, he is a huge asset. It’s Houston people should be down on. $20.4 million dollars this year. $20.4 million dollars.

DJ was easily the DPOG. He still can play at a high level in this league. That said, his salary is too much. Ragland is a stud. KPL and Wilson are serviceable. Eligwe could step up and be the guy next to Ragland.

If you can get DJ cheap, he is a huge asset. It’s Houston people should be down on. $20.4 million dollars this year. $20.4 million dollars.

this right here. Let the young drafted guy step up and play. Eligwe has all kinds of athleticism. He would be great next to Ragland. Wilson, KPL, and Smith are quality backups

Archived