If you were Veach, what would you do to improve the defense this offseason?

Berry, Peters, Jones, Ragland and Houston are the five studs we have in the defense imo. So everything should be built around them. So what should Veach do? Is it a matter of adding pieces in all positions? Or do only a few key areas need to be targeted? Personally, I want to see at least one player added to all areas. One Cornerback, One safety, One inside linebacker, One outside linebacker and One defensive End. Let's totally revamp that thing and see some new faces with a new DC to guide them. 

Hire a new DC.

Bring in an outside pass rusher to help out Jones, Houston, Ford and KPass.

Re-sign KPL and S. Nelson for depth.

Cut Hali and let everyone else w/o a contract walk.

Bring in FA's under 27 at DL, OLB, CB and S

Unlike Madden it's very tough to reshape an entire defense in a single offseason. Even if we consider some guys like Nelson or Bailey as questionable we might be better off hanging on to them for the time being.

Try to replace Logan with a more natural NT that will command double teams more often. If not I'm fine keeping him but don't feel comfortable with the current price tag. I would keep Bailey while looking for another DE.

Cut Parker as he's useless just like Sorensen but has less cap hit and provides more space for any signing. I would probably use our 1st pick on a Safety as the FA class seems to be weak. Probably cut Sorensen in 2019 and use him as a backup until then.

Rescind the offer for Ford if he recovers and let him leave in FA. Don't know if we can get any pick for him for 2019 but the 8.7 saved should be used to bring in a solid LB that can actually play 3-4. 

Get DJ to take a pay cut to something like 3 million for the next year, otherwise let him leave. 

Release Hali if he doesn't retire, which is probably the first step in creating the cap space for March as we are already over it. 

We need to draft another CB but in the mean time replacing Revis with someone younger might be the way to go even though it'll be more expensive we definitely need to invest in the position.

Archived