Eric Bieniemy set to be the new OC?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching SEC Network with six head coaches commenting on every play in tonight’s game. Educational! On point Mike Grundy talked about giving up play calling and how much it helped him manage overall game better. He said he’s still very involved but nearly everything ultimately goes through OC.

He said specifically he thinks it’s a full time job in itself just analyzing defensive tendencies to develop the flow needed to call a good game. Point here is Andy is excellent at exploiting mismatches and having an overall game plan that fits his QB. But he can do that without calling all the plays.

Watching SEC Network with six head coaches commenting on every play in tonight’s game. Educational! On point Mike Grundy talked about giving up play calling and how much it helped him manage overall game better. He said he’s still very involved but nearly everything ultimately goes through OC.

He said specifically he thinks it’s a full time job in itself just analyzing defensive tendencies to develop the flow needed to call a good game. Point here is Andy is excellent at exploiting mismatches and having an overall game plan that fits his QB. But he can do that without calling all the plays.

I really enjoy that kind of commentary. I think grundy is spot on.. Andy has been a great play caller before. It's a huge strength of his. One of the best in the business. That's what got him his head coaching gig.. problem is as a head coach there are far to many other things that will inevitably need your attention. Delegate, put in your two cents, help game plan, hell over ride a play call now and then if your experience shows you a red flag on an important down, but for the love of god let the man getting paid to be the coordinator take the weight of the chess match from down to down.. can you make sure your defensive coordinator is calling the game how you would like if you are preparing for the next series of offensive plays? I think not.. Andy is a damned fine coach and was a helluva play caller when that's all he had to focus on. He got away with the multitasking for most of his career in philly as well, but bob Sutton is no Jim Johnson.

I really enjoy that kind of commentary. I think grundy is spot on.. Andy has been a great play caller before. It's a huge strength of his. One of the best in the business. That's what got him his head coaching gig.. problem is as a head coach there are far to many other things that will inevitably need your attention. Delegate, put in your two cents, help game plan, hell over ride a play call now and then if your experience shows you a red flag on an important down, but for the love of god let the man getting paid to be the coordinator take the weight of the chess match from down to down.. can you make sure your defensive coordinator is calling the game how you would like if you are preparing for the next series of offensive plays? I think not.. Andy is a damned fine coach and was a helluva play caller when that's all he had to focus on. He got away with the multitasking for most of his career in philly as well, but bob Sutton is no Jim Johnson.

Great post and I believe spot on. Andy’s weakness was never play calling, in fact as you said it was a major strength. But there’s a point where you try to do too much and it negatively effects everything. Certainly had always impacted his clock management. He can be heavily involved and not be in charge of everything. Hopefully the ego will see that because there’s a reason he wins so much. He’s a very good coach.

And if there’s a way to get a Jimmy Johnson protege in here like Steve Spagnuola. I’m in!

If the new guy is already on the roster I'm leaning towards the RB coach over any other as we might actually start calling run plays and the OL could start beefing up to adjust. Even if we have a star in Mahomes we still must avoid giving up on the run. 

Archived