An Idea I just sent to Brett Veach!!

When one looks at our coaching staff as it's been since Andy arrived, how many have actually coached a side that has gone to the Superbowl? From my understanding, it's been Andy himself, Brad Childress and Tom Melvin, the latter two were with Andy in Philly when that happened. So most of the staff we've had over the years has never had the experience of going to the big dance before. So why not change this philosophy now and bring in coaches that have been to the Superbowl? What would we have to lose? It's all good developing young coaches but what good is it to us when they just end up leaving us to be a HC elsewhere?

In order to break this playoff curse, I firmly believe we need several coaches around the players who have been to the big dance and know what it takes to get there. And with several changes set to be made to the coaching staff ahead of next season, what better time to do it than now? 

So for example, We could bring in a Mike Martz to be the new OC, A Rex Ryan to be the new DC etc. Those are guys who have coached teams to Superbowls and won. And I think their experience would certainly help this team. Those are just two of the names that came to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty more out there aswell.

Remember when we had Pioli, Haley, Crennel, and Weis and everyone talked about the Super Bowl Pedigree that they had? 

If there is one thing Andy Reid DOES know how to do, its teach his coaches to be successful.  If it wasn't for Wentz, his latest guy just might have gotten a super bowl this year...

I hope veach has people in place to read his junk mail. I'm with xen.. I read mike martz n every opening I got screamed for an evacuation! Look there is plenty of experience on our staff. What we need more of is the same thing every team is after.. young fiery coaches that can connect with the players n keep their passion high.. we have a few guys like that on the staff.. it's my belief that what is needed is for these coaches to get their over due promotion to coordinators.

I hope veach has people in place to read his junk mail. I'm with xen.. I read mike martz n every opening I got screamed for an evacuation! Look there is plenty of experience on our staff. What we need more of is the same thing every team is after.. young fiery coaches that can connect with the players n keep their passion high.. we have a few guys like that on the staff.. it's my belief that what is needed is for these coaches to get their over due promotion to coordinators.

I didn't mention Martz or Rex in the email I sent him actually, I merely sent him the idea of getting coaches who have been to the Superbowl. Are you honestly saying that is a bad idea?

Remember when we had Pioli, Haley, Crennel, and Weis and everyone talked about the Super Bowl Pedigree that they had? 

If there is one thing Andy Reid DOES know how to do, its teach his coaches to be successful.  If it wasn't for Wentz, his latest guy just might have gotten a super bowl this year...

How quickly people forget.

To the OP, there is no for sure way to get to the Super Bowl. It takes skill, it takes effort, it takes team work, it takes many things including a little bit of LUCK. We've gone the route you want and it didn't work. In fact it was quite the disaster. Not saying the Chiefs shouldn't try the method again, but it is no guarantee just like any other way is no guarantee.

How quickly people forget.

To the OP, there is no for sure way to get to the Super Bowl. It takes skill, it takes effort, it takes team work, it takes many things including a little bit of LUCK. We've gone the route you want and it didn't work. In fact it was quite the disaster. Not saying the Chiefs shouldn't try the method again, but it is no guarantee just like any other way is no guarantee.

Reid is a better head coach now than what we had back then imo. I think the circumstances are different this time and would be much more conducive to having success with said philosophy.

I didn't mention Martz or Rex in the email I sent him actually, I merely sent him the idea of getting coaches who have been to the Superbowl. Are you honestly saying that is a bad idea?

Yes.. this is andys show like it or not.. don't want too many cocks in the hen house. I want young aggressive coaches who are hungry to make a name and can relate to the players. Like zride stated crennel n wise was what that line of thinking got us. I'm not sure martz and Rex, or any other combo of retreads is any different. These type have been lulled to sleep by the monotony of year after year with this league. They aren't hungry (hunger is what they built that Super Bowl resume on), they are too even keel. I get wanting stability of someone who is never too up or too down n has been there before, but this team needs an attitude that I feel is only achieved by a coach that can get his team motivated to dominate the man in front of you. Berry back on the field will help, but need a coach that wants to put the hurtin on the other squad. Wants to attack and let the chips fall where they may.

Yes.. this is andys show like it or not.. don't want too many cocks in the hen house. I want young aggressive coaches who are hungry to make a name and can relate to the players. Like zride stated crennel n wise was what that line of thinking got us. I'm not sure martz and Rex, or any other combo of retreads is any different. These type have been lulled to sleep by the monotony of year after year with this league. They aren't hungry (hunger is what they built that Super Bowl resume on), they are too even keel. I get wanting stability of someone who is never too up or too down n has been there before, but this team needs an attitude that I feel is only achieved by a coach that can get his team motivated to dominate the man in front of you. Berry back on the field will help, but need a coach that wants to put the hurtin on the other squad. Wants to attack and let the chips fall where they may.

Yes, because this philosophy has clearly worked for us where the playoffs are concerned, right? IMO experience of doing something we desperately want to do, is more valuable than giving some "young buck" a job, only for them to then walk out the door as soon as another team shows them some attention. Time to try something new.

When one looks at our coaching staff as it's been since Andy arrived, how many have actually coached a side that has gone to the Superbowl? From my understanding, it's been Andy himself, Brad Childress and Tom Melvin, the latter two were with Andy in Philly when that happened. So most of the staff we've had over the years has never had the experience of going to the big dance before. So why not change this philosophy now and bring in coaches that have been to the Superbowl? What would we have to lose? It's all good developing young coaches but what good is it to us when they just end up leaving us to be a HC elsewhere?

In order to break this playoff curse, I firmly believe we need several coaches around the players who have been to the big dance and know what it takes to get there. And with several changes set to be made to the coaching staff ahead of next season, what better time to do it than now? 

So for example, We could bring in a Mike Martz to be the new OC, A Rex Ryan to be the new DC etc. Those are guys who have coached teams to Superbowls and won. And I think their experience would certainly help this team. Those are just two of the names that came to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty more out there aswell.

Mike Martz?????????????

Yes, because this philosophy has clearly worked for us where the playoffs are concerned, right? IMO experience of doing something we desperately want to do, is more valuable than giving some "young buck" a job, only for them to then walk out the door as soon as another team shows them some attention. Time to try something new.

You act like my idea of getting young hungry aggressive coachs in place as coordinators is how we have been operating for the last 5 years.. news flash.. we haven't done that yet (possibly the exception of Nagy), so your whole argument of this philosophy hasn't been working for us in the playoffs and needing to try something new is moot. Speaking of trying something new that's precisely what I want, not a retread who's tendencies are already known by the entire league. Look young coaches that get results will be promoted by other teams that's the nature of how this league works. If the right people are running your organization you will have no problem grooming the next guy. The whole league has been trying to find guys that the players can relate to since Pitt hired their young coach, and with good reason.. teams will take on the personality the man leading them.. I have liked Sutton, but our d is uninspired and soft. Listen to bob talk and tell me that's not where it's coming from. Now imagine that same locker room with al Harris calling plays, game planning, n pregame hype speaking to the d.. I'm not sure about you, but I see fire, passion, hunger, want to, aggression.. that's what we need.

Archived