Should have put Mahomes in a for a few snaps.

No. Once you’ve committed you stay there. Getting warm and ready to go in pregame is a lot different than coming in cold off the bench. In the event of injury that has to happen, but under the circumstances we had in that game staying with Alex was the right call. It was Alex’s postseason to sink or swim, he sunk, and now we move forward.

No. Once you’ve committed you stay there. Getting warm and ready to go in pregame is a lot different than coming in cold off the bench. In the event of injury that has to happen, but under the circumstances we had in that game staying with Alex was the right call. It was Alex’s postseason to sink or swim, he sunk, and now we move forward.

Agree completely. We let the old guard sink or swim and they sank. Silver lining from this awful loss was that it really has stirred the pot and is forcing Andy to really look at substantial changes elsewhere. We win a few games and he may have justified another season with Alex. No defensive collapse and Bob Suttons job would have been safe (we don't know that it isn't now)

This was not a Super Bowl team. We had a patchwork defense held together by a thread and a few late signings (I credit Veach for saving season here). Offense scored more points than 2003 but also would just disappear for entire halves at a time. There's some really elite pieces on offense which helped us mask an overall roster and coaching which has gotten stale and needs to be upgraded. The jolt of this loss is forcing Andy to at least look long and hard here. Hopefully Clark is feeling and applying pressure as well. 

Agree completely. We let the old guard sink or swim and they sank. Silver lining from this awful loss was that it really has stirred the pot and is forcing Andy to really look at substantial changes elsewhere. We win a few games and he may have justified another season with Alex. No defensive collapse and Bob Suttons job would have been safe (we don't know that it isn't now)

This was not a Super Bowl team. We had a patchwork defense held together by a thread and a few late signings (I credit Veach for saving season here). Offense scored more points than 2003 but also would just disappear for entire halves at a time. There's some really elite pieces on offense which helped us mask an overall roster and coaching which has gotten stale and needs to be upgraded. The jolt of this loss is forcing Andy to at least look long and hard here. Hopefully Clark is feeling and applying pressure as well.

Yup. I hate to say it but this was the perfect storm. Had we won a game or two there would’ve likely have been a sense of complacency, that the status quo was working. The objective person could see clear back in October that this team had warts. That’s not to say it wasn’t a good team , it just wasn’t good enough. It wasn’t as good as the team that went 5-0 but it wasn’t as bad as the team that lost to an injury riddled giants team. If this exact team played 10 seasons, it’d likely average 9.5 or so wins.

There’s no single unit that’s infallible or where it needs to be. Special teams are probably closest to being set with a good kicker and punter, though they need to find some fresh legs in the return game if Hill isn’t gonna be used there.

The offense has too many scatbacks, lacks a big bodied receiver and the line needs some tweaking ( not completely rebuilt as it has some pieces, just needs another guard and depth ).

Defense just about needs to be blown up. Jones is the only one on the line I trust. Houston is a very good complete linebacker , but he needs help, he can’t be the only one rushing the passer. Ragland is cemented in the lineup. Kpl can be good. Safeties are going to get turned over for money reasons. Berry has to figure out how to stay on the field. Nelson is fine as a third corner , but we need a second corner and honestly I still don’t trust Peters to keep his head. I know the game was already over at that point but he got another unsportsmanlike penalty.

All in all I think the roster has many cornerstone pieces , but if this team is gonna get to the next level there are a lot of moves that need to be made. Losing that game , particularly how we lost it, could very well be a blessing because it brought all of these issues to the front and center. Now we just have to see what Reid does with it.

Archived