Hire within or outside

Reid needs to hire a OC and DC from outside of the organization. We need people that went yes men. We need people who will call it the way it is. I’m tired of this within bullshit as it allows Reid too much. This needs to be like a business and get the right people in to get the results. Bottom line.

I always prefer from hiring outside as everyone in town already has a certain approach and can rarely get ahead of the people mentoring them. Outside guys bring in a new perspective which helps improve anyone on the roster including the HC with a fresh approach. No organization really benefits from "yes" men and Chiefs should start going that way.

I was really impressed with the Steelers bringing Haley to an environment that has Tomlin and Big Ben. Looks like they butt heads from time to time but that helps the franchise. 

I always prefer from hiring outside as everyone in town already has a certain approach and can rarely get ahead of the people mentoring them. Outside guys bring in a new perspective which helps improve anyone on the roster including the HC with a fresh approach. No organization really benefits from "yes" men and Chiefs should start going that way.

I was really impressed with the Steelers bringing Haley to an environment that has Tomlin and Big Ben. Looks like they butt heads from time to time but that helps the franchise.

The only exception I can think to this is if the head guy is retiring due to age and not due to failing. For example, if somebody retires after the Super Bowl. Keeping the same philosophy can help with continuity. Especially if you have a young up and comer behind him.

But if something is not working and you just think putting someone below the guy that wasn't working is going to work, you're not as lucky. It can't work out, but when it does often it is due to other factors like personell, etc.

With coaching staff, I lean more to paying more because it doesn't affect the salary cap. I don't care about the owner's pockets, except when that costs season-ticket holder's more. Obviously, you don't want to pay too much for the coach who isn't good enough because it invests more time in him when he fails. But sometimes you have to pay to get them. If they are available. Teams are going younger with these guys and it's more hit and miss. Younger does get paid less, too.

Archived