How much can we improve our defense this offseason?

If Veach decides to go all in and attack the draft and free agency? Can we build a defense on the level of the Jaggs for example? Or the one at the Vikings? Right now these are the studs we have on defense imo.

Peters

Berry

Jones

Houston

Ragland

So basically one in every position. But anyway in the secondary I believe there's an opportunity to build a top class one if we add another shutdown corner and another safety that can compliment Berry. Then we need to get someone to partner Ragland, perhaps someone who is good at stopping the run like he is. At defensive End Jones needs a stud to partner him. Bailey ain't that great imo and we should be trying to create something similar to what the Chargers have in Bosa/Ingram. Lastly, we obviously need a new OLB who is good from the right side and can compliment Houston. 

So basically we need at least FIVE new players on the defense if we have any ambitions of building a top class one imo. Can Veach do it? That is the question I'm pondering. Because you know what yall? As much as Smith and Reid have been terrible, IF we actually had a top three defense over the last five years, there's no way we don't win more than one of these playoff games, so that's something we need to address as we move forward.. 

I think Steven Nelson should be considered to be brought back as a nickel or 3rd/4th option at CB.  They'll probably want to bring back KPL since they spent a draft pick to trade for him.

But yes, there's going to be a ton of turnover on the defense this off-season.

I think Steven Nelson should be considered to be brought back as a nickel or 3rd/4th option at CB.  They'll probably want to bring back KPL since they spent a draft pick to trade for him.

Should all our draft picks (including the ones we get for Smith) be used on the defense?

Should all our draft picks (including the ones we get for Smith) be used on the defense?

If it is bpa at then pick then I am fine. We need to use the cap space to get started ready available players too. LG and pass rusher would be nice in FA.

I wanna say the cap space "COULD" be huge this off season if we unload Smith, Hali and some other dead weight.  

I agree we need another good pass rusher, maybe look at a guy like Ziggy Ansah to pair with Houston?  We also have a young talent in Kpassagnon that could be the guy our staff is hoping for.  We also need to figure out something for NT with Logan.  

With our cap space we should go after one stud DE/OLB/CB and a WR.  

I wanna say the cap space "COULD" be huge this off season if we unload Smith, Hali and some other dead weight.

I agree we need another good pass rusher, maybe look at a guy like Ziggy Ansah to pair with Houston? We also have a young talent in

Kpassagnon

that could be the guy our staff is hoping for. We also need to figure out something for NT with Logan.

With our cap space we should go after one stud DE/OLB/CB and a WR.

51 million. What I wish we could do is release those other players first and act like we have a 31 million cap room. I know teams already know we are moving on from Smith, but at least not be against the cap would help trade negotiations. Most probably not, but it can't hurt.

Heck yes. Our secondary CLEARLY improved when Nelson got a few games under his belt (we were also helped by signing Revis). He's clearly an above average nickel corner and one of the few corners we have that can actually tackle and he will only be 25 next season. 

It’s going to take more than one offseason to fix the defense. Too many old players leaving too many open spots.

You can't fix it all in earnest but we can clearly have an improved defense. Adding Berry back to the secondary and signing plus drafting a CB would make that unit very salty. 

51 million. What I wish we could do is release those other players first and act like we have a 31 million cap room. I know teams already know we are moving on from Smith, but at least not be against the cap would help trade negotiations. Most probably not, but it can't hurt.

I heard today simply not picking up DJs option puts us under the likely CAP ceiling even with Alex's contract. 

I think edge pass rush needs to be a priority. Next is another corner.  We will also need to resign Logan or find his replacement.  I liked what I saw from KPL but wouldn't mind another quality ILB. 

We seem to have a good trading relationship with Seattle and things seem rocky between them and Earl Thomas; how cool would it be to see Berry and Thomas on the field together. I know it is just a dream and we are likely to spend over $20 Million a year on safeties, but those two would bring fear to runners and receivers in the middle of the field.

A vast rebuild isn't likely IMO. We don't have the ammo in the draft to make major changes but looks like we'll have some cap to work with if needed. My actions would be:

DL: Keep Logan for something like 5 million/year, if not I would let him walk and look for another NT in the market. If possible adding another DE is pretty good but not a priority. That being said I would look to add another DE that will rotate in 2018 and take over from Bailey in 2019. If KPass isn't the answer at OLB make him put on weight on that huge frame and move to DE.

LB: Assuming Ford heals just get rescind the offer and hope to get a comp pick for 2019. Use the 9 million saved for a free agent OLB, a stop gap might even be an option if they are high on KPass. Keep KPL and let him start next to Ragland with Wilson backing up. Cut DJ or pay him something like 3 million for 2019 to help groom the LBs. 

CB: I'm not sold on Revis as he seems to have lost a step. Nevertheless I might support keeping him instead of Mitchell as we need to pay either guy. Nelson is a FA if I'm not mistaken, I would keep him for the right price and exercise the 5th year option on Peters.

S: I would spend our 1st pick on a Safety that can start opposite to Berry. Cut/Trade Parker for whatever we can get unless we need him as the NB or something. Sorensen is also a problem but doesn't save much money when released so I would keep him for another year as he has shown flashes with a safety valve like Berry behind him. We could also use the money saved from Parker on a FA Safety that just finished his rookie deal. 

Pay whatever it costs for another olb and cb in free agency. That alone can turn us significantly. Cut Revis then sign him as a backup, not paying that guy 10 million.

Draft a LG early, a TE who can catch the damn ball and a S. That's about all we can realistically expect in one season.

Pay whatever it costs for another olb and cb in free agency. That alone can turn us significantly. Cut Revis then sign him as a backup, not paying that guy 10 million.

Draft a LG early, a TE who can catch the damn ball and a S. That's about all we can realistically expect in one season.

interesting you going with offense.  We need that too! damn.

i should be yelling!

I thought we traded DJ Alexander for KPL?

Archived