Jamaal Charles hopes to continue playing in the NFL

KC Warpaint

Left to toil on the bench, Jamaal Charles was an afterthought in his first -- and likely only -- year with the Denver Broncos.

But the former All-Pro (albeit 31-year-old) running back isn't going out on that note.

“I want to keep playing,’’ Charles said as he left Broncos headquarters on New Year’s Day, via Mike Klis of 9News. “I’m just going to work out this offseason and hope I get a call.’’

The Broncos signed Charles off the scrap heap as the finishing touch on their three-man backfield, the complement to C.J. Anderson and Devontae Booker. But the committee approach never went as planned. Not even close. He recorded just 69 carries for 269 yards and a touchdown across 14 appearances, chipping in 129 receiving yards.

Things got so dire that he was made a healthy scratch for the final two regular-season games, sat down in favor of rookie De'Angelo Henderson. This decision cost Charles hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonuses and incentives, prompting the proud veteran to call for his release.

His request fell on deaf ears.

“I thought we were all going to get a chance to share the ball,” he told The Denver Post last month. “I never got a chance to be in the first 15, and it sucks. How the other running backs, like I look around and see the Patriots share the running backs and New Orleans. You know what I’m saying? I just never got an opportunity.”

Soon, though, Charles will get an opportunity to rebuild his stock. He's scheduled to hit unrestricted free agency in March, and believes there's plenty of gas left in the tank. If used properly, he can be a key cog on a contending team's offense, able to run, catch, pass-protect and, perhaps most importantly, roll with the punches.

“My numbers spoke for itself on the stat sheet,’’ Charles said. “I averaged over 4 yards a carry, caught the ball out of the backfield. You can see my explosion, I can still block. All-around player. I just have to get an opportunity. That’s it.’’

Archived