Chiefs add defensive quality control coach from Georgia

The Chiefs have hired Jay Valai to be a defensive quality control coach, a source confirmed to The Star on Monday.

Valai has spent the last two seasons as a defensive quality control coach at the University of Georgia. He is expected to also assist with the defensive backs or linebackers; that part has not been determined yet.

Valai played safety at the University of Wisconsin from 2007 to 2010, racking up 154 tackles and two interceptions in 48 games.

After that, he worked as a trainer assisting high school and professional athletes in Texas, according to the Macon Telegraph.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article194741669.html

The Chiefs have hired Jay Valai to be a defensive quality control coach, a source confirmed to The Star on Monday.

Valai has spent the last two seasons as a defensive quality control coach at the University of Georgia. He is expected to also assist with the defensive backs or linebackers; that part has not been determined yet.

Valai played safety at the University of Wisconsin from 2007 to 2010, racking up 154 tackles and two interceptions in 48 games.

After that, he worked as a trainer assisting high school and professional athletes in Texas, according to the Macon Telegraph.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article194741669.html

Again I'd ask would you fire your defensive coordinator after this hire was made? Doesn't really make sense. Seems on the surface to indicate Sutton will be back. But I've got no clue. 

Again I'd ask would you fire your defensive coordinator after this hire was made? Doesn't really make sense. Seems on the surface to indicate Sutton will be back. But I've got no clue.

Pretty sure we were deluded to ever think Sutton was leaving by anything other than his own accord.

Ought to be the easiest job on the team

No actual quality to control, so the job is actually a free paycheck

Huh? Berry, Peters, Houston, Jones, Ragland, Peters and even Nelson is really nice group to build quality around. The rest of the group needs to be rebuilt. Maybe that’s why you bring a guy from Georgia in.

Huh? Berry, Peters, Houston, Jones, Ragland, Peters and even Nelson is really nice group to build quality around. The rest of the group needs to be rebuilt. Maybe that’s why you bring a guy from Georgia in.

I would add KPass to your list. I see something special in him. I don’t know why we did not play him more.

I think your post highlights the areas we need to focus on this offseason: NT, DE,stick out to me. We should add 1 CB/S, but i believe we need more defensive linemen.

...oh, & fire Bob Sutton. He coaches soft, cannot adjust, and had the wrong scheme going 1:2 the time.

I would add KPass to your list. I see something special in him. I don’t know why we did not play him more.

I think your post highlights the areas we need to focus on this offseason: NT, DE,stick out to me. We should add 1 CB/S, but i believe we need more defensive linemen.

...oh, & fire Bob Sutton. He coaches soft, cannot adjust, and had the wrong scheme going 1:2 the time.

KPass has definite potential for sure. My bad. Point is there’s a great core to build around. But there’s a lot that needs to be built around them. I like Sutton more than most but absolutely agree a change right now

at the beginning of the reload process makes the most sense. Doesn’t look like it’s going to happen but who knows.

Found this short description of quality control job and what it entails....

The quality control position, which Nagy once held, heavily involves film study, charting and breaking down tendencies. It gives you a clear picture of everything that’s happening offensively and how teams are attacking you.

Archived