WE DON'T NEED TO DESPAIR IF SUTTON STAYS!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But people are acting like allowing 22 points is some sort of "crime", when the reality is the offense completely fell apart in that second half. I mean let's be real here, if they score ONE FIELD GOAL, we win the game, so it wasn't just about the defense.

It was a team loss but I believe lack of an offense, especially any possessions, in the 2nd half was the primary reason as the shorthanded defense had to stay on the field way too long. However this game aside Sutton simply caves in pretty much any time we have a decent lead and defense is simply taking punches hoping to avoid a knock out. So rather than the Titans game I think the problem is Sutton's mentality. Interestingly whenever we don't have a major lead defense competes all game long and the roster seems to become the entire issue.

Not every position back up is a pro bowler but again, the coaches have to realize this and not expect him to be Berry. To adjust to the player and scheme but not Sutton who kept plugging Dan away

Agree Sutton was trying to fit square peg into round hole with him. Also have to consider he’s making starter money.

We used to be a damn good defense because we had talent.

The moment Mike DeVito left our run defense crashed. We need another DL like him so badly.

I don’t know about DeVito. He spent most of his career here hurt, starting only 19 games in 3 seasons. Although he and especially Tyson Jackson were strong vs run in 2013.

I was a big "Sutton out" disciple just a few weeks ago. But like I said in the OP, the trash he had to work with this year was ridiculous and then injuries just compounded the situation aswell. IF he goes then fine, but I'm not against Bob having another year with us tbh as I think he'd be better with better talent.

Injuries have nothing to do with Houston spending so much time in coverage.

Why did it take a 4 game losing streak to figure out Sorenson in the box is a bad idea? Pittsburgh exposed this on the first loss. Yet Sutton continued to run Sorenson in the box with DJ for 3 straight now games. Then reverted back to it in the playoffs with a bad throwing team that ran all over us again.

Injuries have nothing to do with Houston spending so much time in coverage.

Why did it take a 4 game losing streak to figure out Sorenson in the box is a bad idea? Pittsburgh exposed this on the first loss. Yet Sutton continued to run Sorenson in the box with DJ for 3 straight now games. Then reverted back to it in the playoffs with a bad throwing team that ran all over us again.

"Exposed" it so much that they put up seventeen points and needed a safety from us to add another two? No-one is saying Bob is perfect, but act like the defense was "the worst there has ever been" and it simply wasn't. Oh, and during that streak we allowed 12 points against NY and 16 against the Bills!!!..those defeats were not Sutton's fault at all.

"Exposed" it so much that they put up seventeen points and needed a safety from us to add another two? No-one is saying Bob is perfect, but act like the defense was "the worst there has ever been" and it simply wasn't. Oh, and during that streak we allowed 12 points against NY and 16 against the Bills!!!..those defeats were not Sutton's fault at all.

There are other measures to defense besides points allowed. Bell rushed for 179 yards. They held the ball for over 36 minutes and averaged 7 yards per play to go with 23 first downs. They didn't score a lot of points because they didn't need to. Bell gashed us over and over and we were powerless to stop him. Offense wasn't good either but the defense was terrible.

There are other measures to defense besides points allowed. Bell rushed for 179 yards. They held the ball for over 36 minutes and averaged 7 yards per play to go with 23 first downs. They didn't score a lot of points because they didn't need to. Bell gashed us over and over and we were powerless to stop him. Offense wasn't good either but the defense was terrible.

Yep, they had most of the ball and yet we had the ball in our hands with over two minutes left. just like we did against the Bills and the Titans. You can make excuses all you like, but the offense cost us in those games imo.

We had a chance to win WW2 also. It doesn't mean Pearl Harbor wasn't a disaster. Yes the offense didn't do well. We didn't have, oh I don't know, a hundred and eight yard back, a 150 yard receiver, almost 450 yards of offense, 36 minutes of possession, 23 first downs and 7 yards per play. That would have been really great offense. Or some might argue poor defense I guess.

I think to get legit pressure with our roster, I have to send at least 5. To have decent coverage I would have to drop at least 8. You only get 11. The math doesn’t work. The fact they he managed to have a top 10 D in points is not a black mark on his record. I will take an upgrade in DC, don’t get me wrong. Not a change because we think it will magically make us dangerous.

This is what I saw:

Nick Jacobs‏ @Jacobs71 4h4 hours ago

With Jack Del Rio reportedly headed to the Giants as a DC to link up with fellow Bob Lamonte client Pat Shurmur. I’m curious where the third Bob Lamonte client Steve Spagnuolo ends up.

I am seeing possibly signed by Tuesday as HC.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22174645/vikings-oc-pat-shurmur-expected-named-giants-coach-week

It's a done deal. I believe we do have an opening right now at Associate Head Coach. This has traditionally gone to offensive coach in KC with Culley and then Childress. 

Archived