Mike Kafka to be named to Chiefs quarterbacks coach

The Kansas City Chiefs are expected to name Mike Kafka as their next quarterbacks coach, according to Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star.

Kafka first joined the Chiefs as an offensive quality control coach for the 2017 season.

With Matt Nagy’s departure to become head coach of the Chicago Bears, this is a role that needed to be filled.

Our own Kent Swanson wrote a great piece on Kafka just last week: The next Matt Nagy is already in Kansas City.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/26/16936430/mike-kafka-to-be-named-to-chiefs-quarterbacks-coach

When it comes to developing QBs and playing to their strengths Andy and the people he hires are as good as it gets. The DC thing once he got away from JJs tree not so much.

When it come to winning regular season games and choking in the playoffs, Andy and the people he hires are as good as it gets.

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I've heard some folks say this guy could be our "Sean Mcvay", so I hope we keep him well hidden for the next few years and slowly develop him so he can possibly be the guy to replace Andy if we don't get over the hump. Because there's no question once he becomes an OC, he will be gone within a year imo. So we've got to box carefully with this one as the guy is only 30 years old.

When it come to winning regular season games and choking in the playoffs, Andy and the people he hires are as good as it gets.

He won 10 playoff games and went to the Super Bowl with the last QB he drafted in the first round. That’s more playoff wins than about 20 of the leagues coaches combined. And in this conference if you don’t have an elite QB, you haven’t won many playoff games or any AFC Titles with one exception since 2003.

Dude, do you really have to do this in every thread? You probably don't give 2 shits but I respected you as a poster for a long time. Now I'm still trying to figure out how to put people on ignore and I feel like I need to add you to that list. I get it. You are tired of playoff choke jobs. We ALL are. But damn anytime there is a positive mood that might be slightly hopeful you freaking got to squash it like a fucking bug instantly. It's so fucking annoying.

He won 10 playoff games and went to the Super Bowl with the last QB he drafted in the first round. That’s more playoff wins than about 20 of the leagues coaches combined. And in this conference if you don’t have an elite QB, you haven’t won many playoff games or any AFC Titles with one exception since 2003.

People seem to forget that the NFL as a whole was controlled by Peyton Manning and Tom Brady for the past 20 years and unfortunately both were in the AFC so that also means many teams are not winning when they make it to the playoffs if you're in the AFC. But its so much easier to bitch and moan like a little bitch then to just shut ones mouth and think logically.

All that said, Flacco had more playoff losses then wins until he went to the Super Bowl in which he won enough games in one season to make his playoff resume look better. What has he done since then? Nothing. Andy Reid for that matter only needs to have one season and make it to the Super Bowl and his playoff record goes from losing to winning. Does that one season all of a sudden make him a better playoff coach?

People get caught up in the numbers sometimes without looking at everything else that surrounds it, and other times they do the exact opposite. 

I've heard some folks say this guy could be our "Sean Mcvay", so I hope we keep him well hidden for the next few years and slowly develop him so he can possibly be the guy to replace Andy if we don't get over the hump. Because there's no question once he becomes an OC, he will be gone within a year imo. So we've got to box carefully with this one as the guy is only 30 years old.

That would be awesome and what I hope comes out of this. Take over for Reid at the end of his contract or replace him sooner if warranted.

Your schtick is getting old. Real fast. I suggest you start contributing to the forum as trolls go away.

Just heard Kafka’s primary job last year other than assisting Nagy was to shadow and coach Mahomes at all times.

Yeah hearing Mahomes refer to the guy as "coach Kafka" tells me he was much more heavily involved that your typical QC type. We have such a ridiculously strong network of coaches on offense its becoming a coaching factory.

Which is why it's so hard to look at our defensive staff and see this coaching group of geriatrics. Emmitt Thomas is going to be fucking 75 years old. Sutton and Gibbs both almost 67. Seriously??? Can we not get a shot of life into that group? I cant imagine there is much energy at all on that side of the practice field most days.

Yeah hearing Mahomes refer to the guy as "coach Kafka" tells me he was much more heavily involved that your typical QC type. We have such a ridiculously strong network of coaches on offense its becoming a coaching factory.

Which is why it's so hard to look at our defensive staff and see this coaching group of geriatrics. Emmitt Thomas is going to be fucking 75 years old. Sutton and Gibbs both almost 67. Seriously??? Can we not get a shot of life into that group? I cant imagine there is much energy at all on that side of the practice field most days.

If Reid is intent on sticking to his philosophy of keeping things "in-house", then he's gonna have to get some younger defensive guys on the staff sooner, rather than later.

I really don’t know why he ever strays from the Jim Johnson tree that works. His last DC hire in Philly was a complete joke. I’m still holding out some remote hope at this point that Spagnuola ends up as our Assistant Head Coach.

I really don’t know why he ever strays from the Jim Johnson tree that works. His last DC hire in Philly was a complete joke. I’m still holding out some remote hope at this point that Spagnuola ends up as our Assistant Head Coach.

Hard to imagine Spags and Sutton being on the same page. Their philosophies and schemes couldn't be much different.

I think this move quietly re-affirms that Mahomes is the guy going forward. He was attached to Mahomes at the hip all last season.

Fun fact: Andy planned to give him an asst coaching role in Philly than stick him on the active roster when a QB went down, but the NFL struck it down.

I think he's an early contender to replace Andy down the road.

I think this move quietly re-affirms that Mahomes is the guy going forward. He was attached to Mahomes at the hip all last season.

Fun fact: Andy planned to give him an asst coaching role in Philly than stick him on the active roster when a QB went down, but the NFL struck it down.

I think he's an early contender to replace Andy down the road.

Alex Smith said yesterday that Andy Reid told him to just go enjoy Pro Bowl and they will talk about his future later. This is in contrast to Andy saying Bob Sutton wasn’t even on his radar to possibly replace. Kind of telling to me.

Alex Smith said yesterday that Andy Reid told him to just go enjoy Pro Bowl and they will talk about his future later. This is in contrast to Andy saying Bob Sutton wasn’t even on his radar to possibly replace. Kind of telling to me.

Good point Mike. As much as Reid would probably love to start Smith another year, our draft investment and cap situation make it damn near impossible for it to happen. Id take a third rounder, but I hope we can con someone out of a 2. Be nice ammo come draft day since we have no first.

Big Kafka fan.  Always struck me as a real smart, overachiever type, like Pederson, like Nagy.  I think he's a HC within 3 years if Mahomes develops into what we hope he will, even if he's not our OC.  Fairly or unfairly, he'll get the credit over Eric B.  

Archived