Can someone give me a good reason why he shouldn’t be on the team next year? Decline the option and negotiate a new deal. Unless another team decides to overpay and offer stupid money, he makes too much sense.

He was solid and a gigantic steal for us last year that really helped stabilize secondary the last month. I’d bring him back in an incentive laden deal if they don’t want to go get a legit potential longer term replacement in free agency. . To me the best plan is go get an ascending 2nd contract corner that fits our system ala Sean Smith AND draft a guy. And resign Mitchell. Nelson is the nickel. So it really comes down to if we want him as the number 2 starter as a stop gap for the draft pick.

Can someone give me a good reason why he shouldn’t be on the team next year? Decline the option and negotiate a new deal. Unless another team decides to overpay and offer stupid money, he makes too much sense.

He was solid and a gigantic steal for us last year that really helped stabilize secondary the last month. I’d bring him back in an incentive laden deal if they don’t want to go get a legit potential longer term replacement in free agency. . To me the best plan though is go get an ascending 2nd contract corner that fits our system ala Sean Smith AND draft a guy. And resign Mitchell. Nelson is the nickel. So it really comes down to if we want him as the number 2 starter as a stop gap for the draft pick.

There are better options in FA but the price tag might be higher. With all the incentives I'm not sure how much Revis will cost to keep but if they opt to go for a younger option for a couple million more I'm all for it. Stabilizing the CB position should be the key for the Chiefs.

Because its a deep CB market and we can sign someone better than him.

You can never have enough good corners , and Revis is no spring chicken. If he’s willing to sign the right deal, there’s no reason you can’t sign him and another corner. There’s also the possibility of converting him to a safety to prolong his career , as many dbs have done in the past. I’m not suggesting we sign him and call it a day, I’m saying if it’s not a bank breaking deal, he should be part of a larger plan. We could still pick up a corner to play opposite Peters , and run Revis out in the slot, as a nickel, as a free safety. The possibilities are endless , and with the type of defense Sutton runs, this would open up a world of opportunity. Revis is a damn good supplement, but not the sole answer, and we will have the money to do things like that once Smith is gone.

Malcolm Butler, Kyle Fuller, EJ Gaines, TJ Carrie, Bashaud Breeland, Prince Amukamara, Aaron Colvin, Trumaine Johnson...those are just the ones I can name without looking.

Agree that there are much better options than Revis, but I do not believe Prince is among them.  He'll be on IR by week 5.

We can do better. He should be plan D.

You wouldn’t take him as a 3rd corner/fs/nickleback? A secondary of Revis , Peters, Berry, another corner , that’s be pretty damn formidable. An extra cover corner gives more freedom to have Berry down in the box. It gives flexibility in blitz situations. There are a lot of things that can be done. The primary questions are 1. What kind of offers will he get to set the market and 2. Is his primary concern money or winning? If he’ll play for 6-7 million I think it’s a no brained. If he wants 12-15 you let him walk. He’s already made a butt load of money in his career so it’s possible.

You can never have enough good corners , and Revis is no spring chicken. If he’s willing to sign the right deal, there’s no reason you can’t sign him and another corner. There’s also the possibility of converting him to a safety to prolong his career , as many dbs have done in the past. I’m not suggesting we sign him and call it a day, I’m saying if it’s not a bank breaking deal, he should be part of a larger plan. We could still pick up a corner to play opposite Peters , and run Revis out in the slot, as a nickel, as a free safety. The possibilities are endless , and with the type of defense Sutton runs, this would open up a world of opportunity. Revis is a damn good supplement, but not the sole answer, and we will have the money to do things like that once Smith is gone.

I think if you sign him for 3 mill or so and put him at FS, you can shed Parker’s salary and still upgrade the position.

You can't convert Revis to safety because he doesn't tackle for shit in run support. I mean just horrible effort there.

You can't convert Revis to safety because he doesn't tackle for shit in run support. I mean just horrible effort there.

He does tackle like Dirty Dan. He might be a ball hawk though. Besides Berry none of those guys tackle worth a crap at Safety.

I wasn’t overly impressed with young kid, but he did get better the more he played. Long way to go to be a starter.

The free safety doesn’t have the same run support responsibilities. At safety Revis would be playing a combination of coverage and centerfield. I think his ball skills would play very well next to Berry.

The free safety doesn’t have the same run support responsibilities. At safety Revis would be playing a combination of coverage and centerfield. I think his ball skills would play very well next to Berry.

Assuming Berry comes back 100% he'll be playing as the single high Safety. If Revis stays I think that's entirely as a CB and if they cannot find anyone for the outside he might stay with the recent cap relief. Revis might work out at another position but paying him 10 million for the experimental move just doesn't make sense. It would be cheaper to find a Safety that can perform next to Berry.

The main reason is he sucks.  The second reason is he's old.  And he also sucks.  Luckily getting Fuller should get him off the team Yesterday.  Next Time Revis should be connected to an NFL Football field is at Canton at his Hall of Fame Induction.  Or better yet, Oakland signs him.  

Archived