Alex traded to Redskins!!!!

Shame we couldn't weasel their 2nd instead of a third. Still think we could have gotten if we waited longer. But I'm happy, seems like it was beneficial for all parties. Alex did well for us and gave everything he had...wish him the best and thank him for getting us relevant again.

Crazy. The package we got was better than a first round pick.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lmao Skins fans gone wild.

Rdskns2000 Rdskns2000

Posted 1 minute ago

Welcome to the Redskins Alex Smith.

My condolences to you. It's too bad the Chiefs decided to move on from you. Why am I offering condolences to you? You just got traded to a team that wanted you and gave you new contract extension and $70 million of that guaranteed.

It's because you just got traded to an inferior team. You didn't get traded to Minnesota or Jacksonville; two teams that are a QB away from the Superbowl.

You don't have starting WR on the team. Maybe the WR on the team develops into one or maybe the team signs or drafts a WR for you. You don't have a reliable RB but maybe the team signs or drafts one. You do have TE Reed, if he can stay healthy. Basically, you have an inferior supporting cast at the moment.

Maybe it won't be as bad as I say it is and you get that supporting cast on offense. Thing is, you have a mediocre front office. There's no guarantee that they will get you the supporting cast you need.

While your former coach, Andy Reid has ceiling; he's better than your new coach. Your new coach is mediocre at best.

You are going to find it very hard to even get to 8-8 here. Your first year, you got a tough schedule.

I hate to drop the negativity on you but players come here to not to succeed. You will find after your first year here, if not sooner; that you have been traded to an abyss.

So, I wish you well. It's just I have no faith this front office and this coaching staff to build you a team that even achieved what you did in Kansas City or does even better.

Welcome aboard, to the misery that is the Washington Redskins.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/419972-welcome-to-the-redskins-alex-smith/

Rdskns2000 Rdskns2000

Posted 1 minute ago

My condolences to you. It's too bad the Chiefs decided to move on from you. Why am I offering condolences to you? You just got traded to a team that wanted you and gave you new contract extension and $70 million of that guaranteed.

It's because you just got traded to an inferior team. You didn't get traded to Minnesota or Jacksonville; two teams that are a QB away from the Superbowl.

You don't have starting WR on the team. Maybe the WR on the team develops into one or maybe the team signs or drafts a WR for you. You don't have a reliable RB but maybe the team signs or drafts one. You do have TE Reed, if he can stay healthy. Basically, you have an inferior supporting cast at the moment.

Maybe it won't be as bad as I say it is and you get that supporting cast on offense. Thing is, you have a mediocre front office. There's no guarantee that they will get you the supporting cast you need.

While your former coach, Andy Reid has ceiling; he's better than your new coach. Your new coach is mediocre at best.

You are going to find it very hard to even get to 8-8 here. Your first year, you got a tough schedule.

I hate to drop the negativity on you but players come here to not to succeed. You will find after your first year here, if not sooner; that you have been traded to an abyss.

So, I wish you well. It's just I have no faith this front office and this coaching staff to build you a team that even achieved what you did in Kansas City or does even better.

We could have written that years ago. Smith will get them back to the Griffin rookie year. I think statistically he could quantity wise get to where he was here, but not quality. Garbage time, play 16 instead of 15, etc. 9-7 to 10-6, but doing that with an 8-8 team.

Rdskns2000 Rdskns2000

Posted 1 minute ago

Can you blame them? Veach bent them over and left the lube at home, and the fans know it. If I were in their position I’d be beyond livid. Hookers get gentler treatment.

Can you blame them? Veach bent them over and left the lube at home, and the fans know it. If I were in their position I’d be beyond livid. Hookers get gentler treatment.

My impression of the Redskins after they left Arrowhead last year was that we just beat a quality physical team with a good QB. Of course we all know injuries derailed what was probably a 10 win type team to

me. Can’t help but think they downgraded QBs a bit though and gave up a good player and draft pick and 79 million guaranteed. Dan Snyder is running a sh** show and it’s probably why Andy Reid was willing to trade with him twice.

As long as it's a 3rd + Fuller then it's a good deal for us. Resolves our cap issues right away and a proven player that the staff likes simply scratches off a need from the offseason needs and he'll be year for a while with two of those years being on a rookie deal.

I'm a little bit surprised by Washington's intent though, I was expecting yet another Cousins debate throughout the offseason but looks like he doesn't want to stay in there and they won't be spending 30+ for a tag.

Love the trade. Skins fans are pissed that fuller is the player involved in the trade. Curious if they can back out before the start of the new year?

Yes they can and that is why people need to be cautious with their excitement. Snyder doesn't care about perceptions or is he moral. Like othet teams he could use this to manipulate the market and once again the Chiefs would be the pawn.

Obviously the trade isn't official until March and other teams won't look favorably towards a side that backs out but do the teams have that right unless any player involved fails a physical?

They’ve already hammered out his contract which means this is essentially a done deal. March 14th date is a formality unless one of these guys falls and breaks a leg!

the Skins won't back out.  If they do, nobody in the NFL would ever trade with them NOR would any player sign with them ever again.

Obviously the trade isn't official until March and other teams won't look favorably towards a side that backs out but do the teams have that right unless any player involved fails a physical?

They’ve already hammered out his contract which means this is essentially a done deal. March 14th date is a formality unless one of these guys falls and breaks a leg!

Yeah I don't know the details of how this works but I have to believe Washington is committed barring an issue with a physical or some extraordinary external event.  Teams are stubborn if nothing else.  Even if they are getting raked over the coals and come to their senses, it's a bigger hit to the ego to change their minds and look like they can't be trusted to make deals going forward.

DJ Swearinger apparently doesn’t like losing Fuller. LOL. Love the fact Fullers teammates seem to love him.

“Never Saw Any Bulls**t Like This In My Life!! Idc who i rub wrong because you never sat in a meeting nor put in work with my dawg!!”

DJ Swearinger apparently doesn’t like losing Fuller. LOL. Love the fact Fullers teammates seem to love him.

“Never Saw Any Bulls**t Like This In My Life!! Idc who i rub wrong because you never sat in a meeting nor put in work with my dawg!!”

Is that something towards losing Fuller or the manner as the guy was basically the last one to find out. That's one crazy organization. Washington agrees on a trade with the Chiefs and negotiate a new deal with Smith and the guy traded away doesn't have any idea about the process.

It all boils down to whether Mahomes is the real deal and, if he is, how soon he reaches a top level of play.  That aside, the Chiefs did a masterful job of transitioning to a new QB.  They did it by giving up a first round choice and then got a late first round quality player plus a third round draft pick.  With Ragland and Fuller, two of the defenses biggest needs may be addressed for a few years.  With the cap space, they can go after an OLB to complement Houston.  One question is whether Fuller will be a top slot CB or will he play outside as a complement to Peters.  Does Revis have anything left in the tank and will he play one more year with the Chiefs?  If so, then the focus could be on OLB, WR, and linemen.  The Chiefs aren't done in FA and they have some cap space with more to come after Hali and DJ are gone.

This article talks about the possibility that this will fall through.  Basically, as we've discussed, the deal cannot be 100% official until the new league year so either team could theoretically back out.  But it would be a terrible, franchise-credibility-damaging move to do so.  I mean, assuming Washington has any credibility left to damage.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/268120/an-nfl-trade-in-january-why-the-alex-smith-deal-was-possible

Smith's teammates loved him as well but the NFL is in the entertainment business and it changes on a regular basis.

Yes and Redskins fans should love the fact Alex is well liked and respected by his former teammates too. It's his arm talent and lack of pocket presence that did him in when it mattered. Dan Snyder is such a moronic owner that I understand the Redskins fans anguish. They had a younger more productive QB they could have locked up two years ago but now had to downgrade and give up their best young corner and a 3rd round pick to do it. Heck not even Marty Shottenhiemer would win there. That's all anyone should need to know.

NEWSWEEK

ANDY REID HAS PREVIOUS FOR FLEECING THE REDSKINS IN QUARTERBACK TRADES
BY TEDDY CUTLER 

ON 1/31/18 AT 10:58 AM

It has been almost eight years since the then-Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid sent franchise quarterback Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins for a second-round draft pick.

The Eagles also got a conditional third-or-fourth round pick from the Redskins, who gave McNabb a $78 million, five-year contract extension. Reid used the second-round pick on Nate Allen, the safety out of South Florida. The Eagles sent the fourth-round conditional pick to the Buccaneers for a lower fourth-rounder and another fourth-rounder in 2012 which eventually resulted, via another trade with the Texans, in the third-round pick of Nick Foles.

His path here may have been convoluted but Foles is preparing to lead the Eagles into Super Bowl 52 in his second spell with the franchise. McNabb lost his job as a starter in his first season with the Redskins under Mike Shanahan and was traded to the Vikings in July 2011.

Keep Up With This Story And More By Subscribing Now

Reid, always an astute judge of a quarterback, knew that McNabb was on the downslope of his career. But the Redskins apparently weren’t privy to the same knowledge and haven’t learnt much more eight years on, because it looks as if Reid has pulled off a very similar heist. The Kansas City Chiefs head coach sent Alex Smith to the Redskins on Tuesday for a third-round draft pick and highly-regarded cornerback Kendall Fuller. Washington will also give Smith a contract extension worth $94 million over four years, according to NFL.com. Kirk Cousins, meanwhile, will hit free agency as the most-coveted quarterback in professional football.

It’s a more startling trade than the one the Redskins made to grab McNabb because head coach Jay Gruden is losing a valuable member of his defense, and because Smith is reportedly getting $71 million in guaranteed money. The Redskins only ever ended up paying McNabb $3.5 million, ESPN reported when that trade was made.

As for Reid and the Chiefs? They save money and gain what could be valuable future draft picks by jettisoning a quarterback who had probably reached the end of his shelf life in Kansas City. Reid will transition to the exciting, if unpredictable, Patrick Mahomes next year. The Redskins will hope to eke a few more Pro Bowl seasons out of Smith. The rest of the world will sit back and wonder how Reid has apparently managed to fleece his old NFC East foe once again.

Archived