How many PICKS do we have in the draft now?

The highest comp pick a team can receive is 3rd round, they don't award 2nd round any more.

LOL yeah i wasn't sure that's why I ended up putting Foles as a third on that list. But anyway I really do hope we get something for Poe as it would give us a really decent hand in this draft. Six picks in the first five rounds should be more than enough to work with.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this Foles situation should be interesting to see. There's no way in hell they could justify giving us a 6th round pick. So imo the least we could get is a 4th or a 5th. And the most could be a 2nd or 3rd perhaps? 

So we could potentially have..

2nd= 1

3rd= 3 (Foles)

4th= 1

5th= 1 (Poe)

6th= 1

7th= 2

That would be incredible for us considering where we started from In this draft.

We have basically written off the draft due to lack of picks but will likely have 4 picks in the top 100 which could mean 2-3 immediate starters with a good draft. 

Question guys, would you spend the top four picks all on defense? I'd certainly think about it :D

It could be the only smart way to go. IMO LG, WR, TE, QB are the only needs on offense and I prefer to have a proven receiver helping Mahomes out and we have failed way too many times at LG to draft yet another guy. Backup QB should already be a veteran. I wouldn't be surprised if we enter the draft with no needs on offense and just pick a couple project guys later on. 

It could be the only smart way to go. IMO LG, WR, TE, QB are the only needs on offense and I prefer to have a proven receiver helping Mahomes out and we have failed way too many times at LG to draft yet another guy. Backup QB should already be a veteran. I wouldn't be surprised if we enter the draft with no needs on offense and just pick a couple project guys later on. 

We could also use some of the lower picks on trading for some players. I guess our moves in FA will let us know which direction Veach and co will go in in the draft. 

We could also use some of the lower picks on trading for some players. I guess our moves in FA will let us know which direction Veach and co will go in in the draft. 

I think Veach definitely does that. 9 picks is just way too many to sit idle considering that most of our picks are relatively late in the round. Depending on the position I'm expecting our 4th to be packaged with a 2nd or 3rd to move up for a guy who falls unexpectedly.

So when will we find out what picks we will be getting for Poe and Foles yall? The amount of hype Foles is getting right now, I'd be stunned if we don't get another 3rd for him :D

Though we could get a comp pick for Poe, I doubt we will. It has happened before but signing Logan would make this a low round to most likely no comp pick at all. Poe garnered no awards, post season success etc. He was just like Logan in contract, time played etc so I expect nothing for him.

Foles played 3 games in regular season and his contract was low. His success in post season play will garner us a comp pick, I am thinking a 5th round but could see 4th at the most.

Though we could get a comp pick for Poe, I doubt we will. It has happened before but signing Logan would make this a low round to most likely no comp pick at all. Poe garnered no awards, post season success etc. He was just like Logan in contract, time played etc so I expect nothing for him.

Foles played 3 games in regular season and his contract was low. His success in post season play will garner us a comp pick, I am thinking a 5th round but could see 4th at the most.

From NFL.com (I'm sure this has been posted before) Teams are awarded compensatory draft picks in Rounds 3-7 based upon a formula, which is not release by the league, that takes into account a player's average salary per year (APY), snap count and postseason awards.

APY Foles is middle of the pack at 5 million. So lets say 5th round. Snap count is off the charts bad here which moves us back to a 6th. Postseason award probably then moves us back to 5th. But who knows how this is weighted. If we can pick off a 4th for him winning that award, its a nice win for us too. But I'll guess a 5th.

UPDATE

So right now this is what our draft picks are.

2nd= 1

3rd= 2

4th= 1

5th= 0

6th= 1

7th= 1

Now we're due another 7th, we're also due a pick via Foles and interestingly we may be able to keep our 5th round pick as I heard on a podcast that he might not have played the required amount of snaps to generate that 5th pick to the Browns? Then we have the Poe situation which is still to be resolved. So IF everything goes our way, this is how our picks could look like.

2nd= 1

3rd= 2

4th= 2 (one Foles)

5th= 2 (Erving and Poe)

6th= 1

7th= 2

It might be an overly optimistic way of looking at things but believe it or not IT COULD HAPPEN!!!...and wouldn't it be amazing to have this many picks to play with? The only two we're not sure about is Erving and Poe, so we're guaranteed eight picks minimum. Does anyone know the terms of the Erving deal and whether there's a strong chance we can keep our 5th round pick?

UPDATE

2nd= 1

3rd= 2

4th= 1

5th= 0

6th= 1

7th= 1

Now we're due another 7th, we're also due a pick via Foles and interestingly we may be able to keep our 5th round pick as I heard on a podcast that he might not have played the required amount of snaps to generate that 5th pick to the Browns? Then we have the Poe situation which is still to be resolved. So IF everything goes our way, this is how our picks could look like.

2nd= 1

3rd= 2

4th= 2 (one Foles)

5th= 2 (Erving and Poe)

6th= 1

7th= 2

It might be an overly optimistic way of looking at things but believe it or not IT COULD HAPPEN!!!...and wouldn't it be amazing to have this many picks to play with? The only two we're not sure about is Erving and Poe, so we're guaranteed eight picks minimum. Does anyone know the terms of the Erving deal and whether there's a strong chance we can keep our 5th round pick?

The Erving pick is gone.

UPDATE

2nd= 1

3rd= 2

4th= 1

5th= 0

6th= 1

7th= 1

2nd= 1

3rd= 2

4th= 2 (one Foles)

5th= 2 (Erving and Poe)

6th= 1

7th= 2

What’s the confusion with Poe? Lost him but signed Logan. Only Foles can bring a comp pick likely a 5th.

the NFL is wishy washy on the exact guidelines of the comp picks.

In the rules it states that FA's lost may not count for comp picks if similar free agent deals are made with other players.

Howerver, I've noticed the NFL just hands them out anyway.

The scenario I refer to is in 2015 Denver let DRC go to the Giants and signed Talib off the Pats.

Both Denver and NE got 3rd round comps the next year.

One other factor is the NFL only gives out a certain # of the comp picks between all teams.  So, if they've already reached that limit(I think it's 30) and you get to 5th, 6th round comps for guys like Poe and Foles, the NFL could've already reached their comp pick limit and not dole out anymore.

the NFL is wishy washy on the exact guidelines of the comp picks.

In the rules it states that FA's lost may not count for comp picks if similar free agent deals are made with other players.

Howerver, I've noticed the NFL just hands them out anyway.

The scenario I refer to is in 2015 Denver let DRC go to the Giants and signed Talib off the Pats.

Both Denver and NE got 3rd round comps the next year.

One other factor is the NFL only gives out a certain # of the comp picks between all teams. So, if they've already reached that limit(I think it's 30) and you get to 5th, 6th round comps for guys like Poe and Foles, the NFL could've already reached their comp pick limit and not dole out anymore.

In 2015 Denver got a 4th for zane beadles not a third. They were in line for two more fourths for decker and cromartie but the talib and tj ward signings cancelled those.

New england got the third for talib as expecting cause they did not sign a cancelling free agent.

In 2015 Denver got a 4th for zane beadles not a third. They were in line for two more fourths for decker and cromartie but the talib and tj ward signings cancelled those.

New england got the third for talib as expecting cause they did not sign a cancelling free agent.

yep, that is correct I was mistaken:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000480988/article/chiefs-seahawks-broncos-lead-2015-compensatory-draft-picks

The year Denver got the 3rd round comp was in 2016 after losing Julius Thomas to JAX the spring before in 2015.

Archived