How many PICKS do we have in the draft now?

full explanation on how the comp picks work and are determined.  NFL doesn't release exact procedure, but this gives some good insight:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813295/article/projecting-compensatory-picks-for-2018-nfl-draft

After reading this I think we'll get like a 5th for losing Foles and Poe.  Logan signing will eliminate the 2nd comp pick.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other sources disagree!!!. THIS, THIS and THIS are claiming it's a conditional. So for argument's sake let's say it is, did he play enough snaps to get the Browns the pick or not? Let's hope not as having that fifth would be utterly brilliant.

Other sources disagree!!!. THIS, THIS and THIS are claiming it's a conditional. So for argument's sake let's say it is, did he play enough snaps to get the Browns the pick or not? Let's hope not as having that fifth would be utterly brilliant.

Interesting, everything I saw before when the trade was made didn't state it was conditional.  I'm still looking at reports from the major sports sites like nfl.com, espn, cbs and it all stated just a 5th.

If it is conditional, it means we would pay CLE a higher pick instead of KC not having to pay one at all, right? 

I mean he certainly played so there's no way KC isn't giving up a pick for him.

Interesting, everything I saw before when the trade was made didn't state it was conditional.  I'm still looking at reports from the major sports sites like nfl.com, espn, cbs and it all stated just a 5th.

If it is conditional, it means we would pay CLE a higher pick instead of KC not having to pay one at all, right? 

I mean he certainly played so there's no way KC isn't giving up a pick for him.

You mean a lower pick? And let's hope so because obviously giving away a 6th or 7th would be much better for us.

You mean a lower pick? And let's hope so because obviously giving away a 6th or 7th would be much better for us.

No, i was saying if anything, it was conditional on his PT and performance so KC would end up having to give up more.  It's very unlikely it would be where KC gave up less.

No, i was saying if anything, it was conditional on his PT and performance so KC would end up having to give up more.  It's very unlikely it would be where KC gave up less.

Well, clearly we won't have to because he barely played. I can think of maybe three or four games he had snaps? That's not enough and that's why folks think we won't have to give up a 5th. I think it might be less than that. 

Well, clearly we won't have to because he barely played. I can think of maybe three or four games he had snaps? That's not enough and that's why folks think we won't have to give up a 5th. I think it might be less than that. 

Pretty sure it will be a 5th.

9 picks according to this website

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/12/what-draft-picks-do-the-chiefs-have-in-2018/

By: Wesley Roesch | 6 hours ago

Only five of the Chiefs’ 2018 draft picks are confirmed, but several more could be announced soon.

As of Monday morning, here are Kansas City’s selections in the 2018 draft:

Round 2 (54th overall)
Round 3 (78th overall) (via Washington in Alex Smith trade)
Round 3 (86th overall)
Round 4
Round 6

As you can see, several picks are missing from the above list. The Chiefs gave up their 2018 first-round pick in order to trade up for quarterback Patrick Mahomes in 2017. Also, K.C. gave up a conditional 2018 fifth-rounder for offensive lineman Cameron Erving and a 2018 seventh-rounder for cornerback Kenneth Acker.

Since the Erving trade involved a conditional pick, it’s possible that it doesn’t go through since we don’t know the actual conditions of the trade. However, given that Erving was active for 13 games and started four with the Chiefs in 2017, it’s probably safe to say that that fifth-rounder is gone.

The good news is the Chiefs could earn four more draft picks in 2018. Here’s a quick breakdown of those:

Compensatory pick for Nick Foles

Like this article?

Sign up for the Chiefs Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

The Chiefs are set to earn a compensatory pick for losing quarterback Nick Foles in 2017 free agency. Foles was initially projected to land the Chiefs a sixth-rounder, but his Super Bowl MVP win could change that. A fifth-rounder now seems likely at the very least, with the potential for it to be as high as a third-round pick.

Extra seventh for Marcus Cooper

Remember cornerback Marcus Cooper? The Chiefs traded him to the Arizona Cardinals for a conditional 2018 seventh-round pick. He ended up starting 13 games and earning four interceptions for them in 2016, so it seems like a safe bet that the Chiefs will get this pick.

Extra seventh for David King

Defensive end David King was going to be released anyway, but general manager Brett Veach managed to flip him for a conditional 2018 seventh-rounder to the Tennessee Titans. King played seven games for the Titans in 2017, earning one sack. It’s difficult to say whether the Chiefs will earn this pick, but I’d lean toward saying they will.

Extra seventh for Isaiah Battle

Veach also managed to flip offensive lineman Isaiah Battle for a conditional 2018 seventh-rounder to the Seattle Seahawks. Battle was never active for any games and was released by Seattle in November, so it seems like a long shot that the Chiefs will actually get this pick.

What the Chiefs’ draft could look like

Keep in mind that we don’t know the actual conditions of the trade, so the Chiefs could earn all of the picks mentioned above. If so, here’s what K.C.’s 2018 draft could look like:

Round 2 (54th overall)
Round 3 (78th overall) (via Washington in Alex Smith trade)
Round 3 (86th overall)
Round 4
Round 5 (comp pick for Nick Foles — could be as high as round 3)
Round 6
Round 7 (via Arizona in Marcus Cooper trade)
Round 7 (via Tennessee in David King trade)
Round 7 (via Seattle in Isaiah Battle trade)

Nine picks for the Chiefs in 2018 looks much better than the five which are confirmed. This could end up being a huge draft for K.C. if they receive all of their picks, especially if that Foles comp pick turns into a third-rounder.

Doesn't the incentives made due to the SB increase Foles' contract value? If the talk is correct he made over 10 million which should be enough to get us a 3rd with the post season awards added to the mix. It would be terrible if the incentives are ignored.

Even if the 5th is conditional for Erving I'm pretty sure we lost that pick since he played quite a bit. 

Archived