Chiefs sign fifth-round pick Aaron Murray to contract

May 21

By TEREZ A. PAYLOR

The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs announced Wednesday that they have signed fifth-round pick Aaron Murray to a contract.

Murray, who was a four-year starter at quarterback at Georgia, is the fifth player in the Chiefs’ six-man 2014 draft class to agree to terms. Only outside linebacker and first-round pick Dee Ford remains unsigned.

As a senior, Murray completed 225 of 347 passes for 3,075 yards with 26 touchdowns and only nine interceptions before his season came to an end because of an ACL injury. He completed 921 of 1,478 passes for 13,166 yards with 121 touchdowns and 41 interceptions in his Bulldogs career, and is expected to compete with Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray for the two backup positions behind starter Alex Smith.

The Chiefs made another roster move Wednesday. They waived offensive tackle R.J. Dill and signed undrafted rookie linebacker DeRon Furr.

Dill, 23, was signed as an undrafted free agent after the regular season. He spent time with the Patriots’ and Jaguars’ practice squads in 2013.

Furr played strong safety at Fort Valley State, where the former four-star recruit landed after stints at Auburn and Memphis. He reportedly decided to transfer from Auburn, where he played quarterback, after a practice-field fight with his teammates in 2008. He then spent two years as a linebacker at Memphis, where he logged 73 tackles in 23 career games from 2009-10.

Furr then transfered to Fort Valley State, where he had 60 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks as a senior in 2013. During his pro day, he checked in at 6 feet 2 and 232 pounds, ran a 4.70 40-yard dash, bench-pressed 225 pounds 18 times and posted a 32 1/2-inch vertical

May 21

By TEREZ A. PAYLOR

The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs announced Wednesday that they have signed fifth-round pick Aaron Murray to a contract.

Murray, who was a four-year starter at quarterback at Georgia, is the fifth player in the Chiefs’ six-man 2014 draft class to agree to terms. Only outside linebacker and first-round pick Dee Ford remains unsigned.

As a senior, Murray completed 225 of 347 passes for 3,075 yards with 26 touchdowns and only nine interceptions before his season came to an end because of an ACL injury. He completed 921 of 1,478 passes for 13,166 yards with 121 touchdowns and 41 interceptions in his Bulldogs career, and is expected to compete with Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray for the two backup positions behind starter Alex Smith.

The Chiefs made another roster move Wednesday. They waived offensive tackle R.J. Dill and signed undrafted rookie linebacker DeRon Furr.

Dill, 23, was signed as an undrafted free agent after the regular season. He spent time with the Patriots’ and Jaguars’ practice squads in 2013.

Furr played strong safety at Fort Valley State, where the former four-star recruit landed after stints at Auburn and Memphis. He reportedly decided to transfer from Auburn, where he played quarterback, after a practice-field fight with his teammates in 2008. He then spent two years as a linebacker at Memphis, where he logged 73 tackles in 23 career games from 2009-10.

Furr then transfered to Fort Valley State, where he had 60 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks as a senior in 2013. During his pro day, he checked in at 6 feet 2 and 232 pounds, ran a 4.70 40-yard dash, bench-pressed 225 pounds 18 times and posted a 32 1/2-inch vertical

I like this pick.  His injury may have brought us a guy who can really help. You never know.  I like the way this regime does business. 

I agree with bil, (have to go puke now, lol) but I think this guy was a steal, especially because he won't be expected to start this season.  If Smith doesn't play well and isn't resigned Murray will have a season on the NFL to learn the system and have it slow down.  We either got very lucky or we are very blessed to get Murray IMO.

I agree with bil, (have to go puke now, lol) but I think this guy was a steal, especially because he won't be expected to start this season.  If Smith doesn't play well and isn't resigned Murray will have a season on the NFL to learn the system and have it slow down.  We either got very lucky or we are very blessed to get Murray IMO.

Apparently we are going to get a lot of compensatory picks next year for all the FA's we are losing (that we mostly didn't need, anyway).  The overall strength and depth of the team is rising.  And Manning is not getting any younger.  At some point, the entire balance of power in the West going to fall our way.

I am a Dawg fan and I absolutely love this pick. I wanted him last year. Glad we got him for a 5th. put him on IR for a year to learn the system and allow the knee to heal and we have are QB of the future.

Me too. I am excited about this pick! He's a good QB and has room to grow. I'm not sure if he'll make it in the NFL but he was a steal in the 5th round. The only problem I have with him is he wasn't very "clutch" at UGA. He had a few chances at game winning drives and choked.

Archived