McDaniels backs out of Colts HC job

Adamixoye

In the days before the Super Bowl, there was curiosity that Josh McDaniels to the Indianapolis Colts didn’t seem like a sure thing. Maybe he was having cold feet.

He did in the end, have cold feet and not take the Colts job … after he accepted it.

In one of the wildest stories of this or any other NFL offseason, McDaniels pulled out of the Colts job on Tuesday hours after the team had announced he had agreed to terms to be their head coach. McDaniels is headed back to the New England Patriots as their offensive coordinator, and presumably to be the heir apparent to Bill Belichick.

The story was first reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Schefter said Patriots owner Robert Kraft was talking to McDaniels over the last 48 hours and ended up “sweetening his contract” for him to return as offensive coordinator. Another report from ESPN, by Mike Reiss, said Belichick being in place for 2018 and stability for his family were factors in his return.

The Belichick part is interesting. Because from the outside looking in, it would appear that Belichick’s future had to play into McDaniels’ decision. McDaniels was terrible as Denver’s head coach, and after leaving the Colts at the altar, it’s hard to believe he’d get another head coaching job outside of succeeding New England. But he’s just 42 and can wait out Belichick, who will turn 65 this offseason. Nobody knows how long Belichick will coach, but presumably he’ll retire before McDaniels hits age 50.

Yeah we should have held Pederson back from winning a super bowl, just so you could sleep easier at night.

And hear how dumb we are for paying an offense coordinator so much money to do nothing under Reid or whatever the counter points would be on a move like this if it happened. We should have paid Nagy more too then along with Childress too. Man, how are we letting guys go? Not like McDaniels had family he did not want to uproot in all of this too as I am sure He would have made more than the raise he wa s given to be a head coach.

Yeah we should have held Pederson back from winning a super bowl, just so you could sleep easier at night.

And hear how dumb we are for paying an offense coordinator so much money to do nothing under Reid or whatever the counter points would be on a move like this if it happened. We should have paid Nagy more too then along with Childress too. Man, how are we letting guys go? Not like McDaniels had family he did not want to uproot in all of this too as I am sure He would have made more than the raise he wa s given to be a head coach.

I would never say that. 2 of Reid's former assistants have now won super bowls and he hasn't.

Don't you guys want to win a super bowl?

Does this mean Andrew Lucks future is in jeopardy. Or has he been promised Pats job (which will be a crap job after Brady retires). I’m not getting this?

Supposedly it was his hesitation to work with Irsay. I remember reading that Nagys interview in Chicago had a completely different vibe than the one in Indy. I know Irsay is not real well regarded in league circles.

Regardless McDaniels kind of fucked them here. He interviewed last year in SF then withdrew last minute as well. Hard to imagine he will have many suitors after this. They were even hiring assistants their that he had hand picked. Hes making decisions that negatively impact a lot of people and their livelihood.

Does this mean Andrew Lucks future is in jeopardy. Or has he been promised Pats job (which will be a crap job after Brady retires). I’m not getting this?

Before the Super Bowl: McDaniels is saying to himself, "yes, I get to go from old Tom to Andrew Luck! Straight off a SB win with Brady riding off on the sunset.

Goes to Indy after SB loss saying he wants to surround Luck with some defense and an oline. Colts look at him as if to say, "what do you mean Luck? You still interested in buying yourself out from New England to be our OC?"

McDaniels crawls back to New England.

Supposedly it was his hesitation to work with Irsay. I remember reading that Nagys interview in Chicago had a completely different vibe than the one in Indy. I know Irsay is not real well regarded in league circles.

Regardless McDaniels kind of fucked them here. He interviewed last year in SF then withdrew last minute as well. Hard to imagine he will have many suitors after this. They were even hiring assistants their that he had hand picked. Hes making decisions that negatively impact a lot of people and their livelihood.

I understand the not wanting to uproot your family and other stuff like that but i really hope that McDaniels Fails again on an epic level with the pats, because he will never get another HC job after all this BS....he really isnt that good of a HC either

My guess is he feels he is next in line to take over the Pats, a job that should be coming open in the next few years.

Possibly both.

I think Luck is toast. He might play again some day down the road, but his arm is now Pennington. The fact it's still not 100% says enough.

Possibly both.

I think Luck is toast. He might play again some day down the road, but his arm is now Pennington. The fact it's still not 100% says enough.

I doubt there is anything new about Luck's arm that changed his mind in the last couple of days, but I'm assuming it played into the overall decision and his final decision to walk away.

I also think that Luck is probably toast.  What other examples in the history of sports injuries can you think of where a lingering injury lasted like this and the guy returned to superstar form?

irsay is regarded just fine in league circles.

I doubt there is anything new about Luck's arm that changed his mind in the last couple of days, but I'm assuming it played into the overall decision and his final decision to walk away.

I also think that Luck is probably toast.  What other examples in the history of sports injuries can you think of where a lingering injury lasted like this and the guy returned to superstar form?

I think general doubt about Luck played a part and I'm sure Kraft and BB harped on it.

Without Luck, that squad is a Browns tier squad.

Hell, with Luck they couldn’t win a the worst division in football. If he can’t play and has to that huge contract... Bad days ahead most likely.

with luck they made the afc championship game

obviously this is a different roster but lets not rewrite history

Archived