CURSE of the KINGDOM: Rise of Mahomes

Didn't realize how bad Bono and Grbac were. Not even sure where they got the footage for those games. 

Yeah...  After watching that, I realized how thick my rose colored glasses were back then.  Matry's biggest mistake of his career was starting Grbac that season after everything was rolling with Gannon.  

Yeah... After watching that, I realized how thick my rose colored glasses were back then. Matry's biggest mistake of his career was starting Grbac that season after everything was rolling with Gannon.

Yes. And Marty will admit that was his biggest mistake of his coaching career.

Those guys did a great job on that one. It’s tragic comedy but now maybe the future will be brighter with Mahomes. My favorite part was when the Matt Cassell picture came on screen and Arnold’s voice over from the terminator said ‘Fuck you, asshole’ classic

• 10 months later...

I’m gonna have to recommend this one for some Saint Louis friends who have recently adopted the Chiefs as their team right before game time on Saturday so they can have some perspective of the enormity of this game against the Colts to lifelong Chiefs fans. 

With Mahomes will the Curse of the Kingdom be broken? 

I believe it’s time to bury the past. 

Of all the bad memories we saw on that video,  why why why are still hanging in after so many years???   Because WE CAN'T HELP OURSELVES.   Don't know why.  Makes little sense.  I'm a smart guy in many areas.

But when it comes to the Kansas City CHiefs,   I always harbor great affection.

Fuck it.   GO CHIEFS.

95 was the one that shocked me he most. I hadn't been following football or the Chiefs for that long. After hearing about the Cowboys of that era getting home field advantage throughout the playoffs, I naively thought it was lock that the Chiefs would make it to the SB. This was before I knew better. 

When the Chiefs lost I didn't understand it, because of how good their defense was.

The 97 loss was disappointing, but not as surprising, because of how good I knew the Broncos were. It was still tough to lose, because of the way some of the Broncos fans acted on other message boards back then (used to be called newsgroups). Those fans made me hate the Broncos.

I started getting numb to it after that. Still hurts, and it will hurt Saturday if they lose, but life goes on and it's not the end of the world.

4 minutes ago, qnet said:

95 was the one that shocked me he most. I hadn't been following football or the Chiefs for that long. After hearing about the Cowboys of that era getting home field advantage throughout the playoffs, I naively thought it was lock that the Chiefs would make it to the SB. This was before I knew better. 

When the Chiefs lost I didn't understand it, because of how good their defense was.

The 97 loss was disappointing, but not as surprising, because of how good I knew the Broncos were. It was still tough to lose, because of the way some of the Broncos fans acted on other message boards back then (used to be called newsgroups). Those fans made me hate the Broncos.

I started getting numb to it after that. Still hurts, and it will hurt Saturday if they lose, but life goes on and it's not the end of the world.

Don't know if you or anyone else heard the Lin Elliott interview on 610 sports but it actually made me feel sorry for the guy. And it made me realize he wasn't the only one who cost the Chiefs the game. Marty's gameplan was absolute dog crap. A pass heavy attack against a team who was absolutely horrible (2018 Chiefs like) against the run. And Steve Bono had a QB rating in the 30s. Pathetic. Marty was a good coach but he made his share of mistakes. My fear is we have a similar concern with Reid. Great coach with a lot of wins...but come playoff time he turtles up. Thoughts?

The one defining difference is Mahomes.

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Don't know if you or anyone else heard the Lin Elliott interview on 610 sports but it actually made me feel sorry for the guy. And it made me realize he wasn't the only one who cost the Chiefs the game. Marty's gameplan was absolute dog crap. A pass heavy attack against a team who was absolutely horrible (2018 Chiefs like) against the run. And Steve Bono had a QB rating in the 30s. Pathetic. Marty was a good coach but he made his share of mistakes. My fear is we have a similar concern with Reid. Great coach with a lot of wins...but come playoff time he turtles up. Thoughts?

I got concerned about Reid after last season, when he didn't get rid of Sutton. Having said that, I think he needs a Jim Johnson-like or better D coordinator. Mahomes is definitely the defining difference,  he's a lot better than McNabb, and has better fortitude for the job IMO

I agree about Elliott, that's why I don't mention him much or comment when he's discussed. I watched the Curse of the Kingdom video a while ago, early in the season. I forgot how many Int's Bono threw. 

11 hours ago, dhitter said:

I’ve been saying this for years. It’s the one time Marty should have gone conservative but instead let fast fading Bono throw it all over the place. 3 INTs and 7 points before he pulled plug and gave Gannon the ball on the last drive. Gannon drives us down the field and threw a great pass in the end zone which Lake Dawson got both hands on but couldn’t catch.  Had he gone to Gannon at halftime we win. Had he just fed Marcus Allen (6 ypc) we win.  

Set LE as predictable fall guy after he had struggled so much the last quarter of the season.  

This is BY FAR the worst loss and worst QB play of the streak because it’s the only one we were clearly the better team. Cassell did his best Bono impersonation in 2010, but that team was a fraud.  

4 hours ago, wilkie said:

Of all the bad memories we saw on that video,  why why why are still hanging in after so many years???   Because WE CAN'T HELP OURSELVES.   Don't know why.  Makes little sense.  I'm a smart guy in many areas.

But when it comes to the Kansas City CHiefs,   I always harbor great affection.

Fuck it.   GO CHIEFS.

Wilkie, you just nailed how I came up with my login name for this website!

I am a fool for being a fan of a team that constantly lets me down in the playoffs & finds new and innovative ways to lose & crush my hopes & spirit.

GO CHIEFS.

14 hours ago, dhitter said:

Did you just mention the name that shall not be uttered?  That should be worth a suspension at even a banning by the board Nazis.  🙂

Bono had more to do with the loss than anyone, but the kicker had three chances to bail them out and didn't.  Marty should have put Gannon in both in 1995 and 1997 playoffs. 

Archived