Josey Jewell

SEMO

JOSEY JEWELL (ILB)

HT: 6'1" WT: 235LBS.

POSITION: ILB

SCHOOL: Iowa

Overview

Jewell wasn't considered an elite recruit despite earning all-state honors (football and baseball) while growing up on a farm in Decorah, Iowa. The Hawkeyes ignored his average measurable to rip him away from Division III Luther College (located in Decorah). As a redshirt freshman, Jewell played in 11 games, starting the final four of the year (51 tackles, one for loss). He was the team's Most Valuable Player in the 2015 TaxSlayer.com Bowl with 14 tackles. Big Ten coaches and media voted him second-team all-conference in 2015, as he started every game at middle linebacker, leading Iowa with 126 tackles, 7.5 for loss. Jewell intercepted a pass in each of his last three games that year. In his junior year, Jewell was a finalist for the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker as well as the team's MVP and second-team All-Big Ten (team-high 124 tackles, six for loss, two sacks, nine pass break-ups), using his instincts and hustle to consistently find the ball in the run game and pass coverage. Jewell finished his career on a high note, being named first-team AP All-American and first-team All-Big Ten in his senior year (134 tackles, 13.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks, two interceptions, 11 pass break-ups, one forced fumble).

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Eyes work fast. Initial play diagnose and trigger to the ball is immediate. Film junkie who recognizes blocking schemes and adjusts accordingly. Always flowing downhill looking to make plays near line of scrimmage. Quick recovery against play-action and misdirection. Plays ahead of work-up blocks. Flashes a strong burst to the ball and can close out runners if he's in the area. Pac-man tackler who owns a board full of high scores. Discipline, technique, and patience help him avoid missed and broken tackles. Launches compact build through target points and imposes force on ball-carrier. Well-schooled with hands in taking on blocks. Keeps pads square and leverages his gaps. Perceptive with a nose for screens. Reads quarterback and squeezes routes from zone. Has 24 passes defensed over the last three years.

Weaknesses

Doesn't have long limbs and loose frame. Lateral agility, change of direction and overall reactive athleticism is just average. Has some straight line speed but his short area foot quickness in mirroring play is nothing special. Gets lost behind defensive line when finding the football at times. Ducks head into initial take-on blocks. Can get engulfed by size and stuck on blocks. Will need to improve slipping blocks rather than taking them all on. Tight hips prevent fluid transitions in man coverage. Struggles to get early depth in his drops. Effort blitzer, but unlikely to win in that area on talent alone.

Draft Projection

Rounds 3-4

Sources Tell Us

"I like him a lot. I think he will run faster than people think for sure. Give me a guy with his mindset and instincts and I can sell him to a coaching staff even if he's not as big as they are looking for. His tape will win them over." - AFC Director of Scouting

NFL Comparison

Sean Lee

Bottom Line

On the borderline from a size standpoint, Jewell will have his detractors who may worry about whether he's big enough or fast enough to become a starter in the NFL. What I see on tape is a highly instinctive linebacker who combines physicality with a relentless motor to find his way into play after play. Jewell's consistent play speed and consistency as a tackle finisher could make him a future starter as an inside linebacker perfectly suited to the WILL spot in a 3-4.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/josey-jewell?id=2559819&id=2559819

Jewell will do very well next to Rack and. At Iowa he was in coverage. He has grea t instincts and can play side line to side line. He went against NFL offensive scheme and some very good O lines in practice and has heart. He may not have the combine stats that some will drool over but he knows and loves football. If he falls to the 3rd we need to definitely jump on him.

Jewell will do very well next to Rack and. At Iowa he was in coverage. He has grea t instincts and can play side line to side line. He went against NFL offensive scheme and some very good O lines in practice and has heart. He may not have the combine stats that some will drool over but he knows and loves football. If he falls to the 3rd we need to definitely jump on him.

Agree.  I like him.

Archived