Tamba Hali - Please Retire

At some point, the Chiefs are going to have to address Tamba Hali. Hali acts like he's still a dominant player, while being paid as if he's still sacking QBs. Brett Veach has got to find a way to force Hali to retire or re-negotiation his contract so it won't continue to hamstring the roster.

$9,395,834 is Tamba Hali's Cap Number. That's a big deal. Hali has 0 value to the team and that money could be better spent elsewhere, such as a dominant NT/DT or Safety to replace Ron Parker. Hell, even a Left Guard.

I highly doubt that Hali will retire and forfeit that amount of money. Especially with home the Chiefs allow him to play less than part-time for just a couple games. I'm sure Hali is setting some sort of record for making as much as he is while he's playing next to nothing.

Tamba Hali, please go pursue your rap career and retire.

Tamba is an easy cut this year.   If he retires, even better, but he's gone.  Not sure if retiring is the same cap effect as a cut. 

Unless he's willing to take a straight renegotiation from his current contract to league minimum, with no extension, I don't think renegotiation is the way to go.  

Kinda angry at Dorse for resigning him. Should have just drafted someone and thrown him out there.

Horrendously awful signing. Absurd really. Heck we could have added James Harrison late if it wasn’t for Tamba running around in that position doing nothing.

Tamba's 2016 contract was a bad one in a vacuum, but one that was given to him to fulfill a Dorsey promise, for what Tamba did for the team the year before. 

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article64217717.html

Pending free agent Tamba Hali’s contract with Chiefs has voided

BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR

tpaylor@kcstar.com

March 05, 2016 10:10 AM

Updated March 07, 2016 12:49 PM

When outside linebacker Tamba Hali took a $3 million pay cut to remain with the Chiefs last season, the team did it by adding four voidable years to the contract to spread out his $5 million signing bonus to future salary cap years.

Reworking the final year of Hali’s contract freed up $7 million in salary cap room for the cash-strapped Chiefs in 2015, and Hali was guaranteed to remain with the team another year before becoming a free agent. But the deal also had a flip side; the team would be charged $4 million against the 2016 salary cap if it didn’t reach a contract extension with Hali by March 4.

March 4 passed Friday without an extension, which means the remaining four years on Hali’s contract have automatically been voided, resulting in the $4 million salary-cap charge, The Star has learned.

That means the Chiefs, who also have safety Eric Berry’s $10.8 million franchise tender tying up cap room, should have about $18.75 million to work with when free-agency starts Wednesday.

Never miss a local story.

Hali, 32, finished with 48 tackles this year and 6  1/2 sacks, achieving his sixth Pro Bowl berth, but he’s played through knee issues the last two seasons. He sat out practice most of last year in an effort to keep him fresh for Sundays.

He indicated a desire to return to the Chiefs for an 11th season in 2016 but made it clear that if he did, he wanted to make sure he could play better. Hali also indicated after the season that his knee would require surgery.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said at the 101 Awards banquet Saturday that the Chiefs and general manager John Dorsey have maintained constant dialogue with Hali.

“We’d love to have him back, I think, when it’s all said and done,” Reid said.

When asked if some of the decision to let the contract void had to do with whether Hali was still deciding whether to return in 2016, Reid said he believes Hali isn’t ready to retire.

“Yeah, I think he still wants to play,” Reid said. “And hopefully it all works out. We’re just starting the first phase of this thing, and that’s how it goes.”

If Hali does not return — it would have behooved the Chiefs to sign him to an extension before Friday’s deadline — it opens the door for 2014 first-round pick Dee Ford to get more playing time. Ford had 23 tackles and four sacks in 14 games last season, including five starts. Ford played a career-high 565 defensive snaps, according to Pro Football Focus.

The Chiefs have several other key players set to hit free-agency Wednesday, including another team icon in inside linebacker Derrick Johnson, and three underrated starters in cornerback Sean Smithdefensive tackle Jaye Howard and offensive guard Jeff Allen.

Howard, 27, and Smith, 28, particularly appear to benefit by testing the open market. Both are productive starters in their primes, and the NFL salary cap went up $13 million for each team this offseason.

The Chiefs have a handful of other free agents they might like to retain, including quarterback Chase Daniel, safety Tyvon Branch, defensive end Mike DeVito, safety Husain Abdullah, receiver Jason Avant, tackle Donald Stephenson, outside linebacker Frank Zombo, cornerback Jamell Fleming and outside linebacker Dezman Moses.

<p>

Tamba's 2016 contract was a bad one in a vacuum, but one that was given to him to fulfill a Dorsey promise, for what Tamba did for the team the year before.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article64217717.html

Pending free agent Tamba Hali’s contract with Chiefs has voided

BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR

tpaylor@kcstar.com

March 05, 2016 10:10 AM

Updated March 07, 2016 12:49 PM

When outside linebacker Tamba Hali took a $3 million pay cut to remain with the Chiefs last season, the team did it by adding four voidable years to the contract to spread out his $5 million signing bonus to future salary cap years.

Reworking the final year of Hali’s contract freed up $7 million in salary cap room for the cash-strapped Chiefs in 2015, and Hali was guaranteed to remain with the team another year before becoming a free agent. But the deal also had a flip side; the team would be charged $4 million against the 2016 salary cap if it didn’t reach a contract extension with Hali by March 4.

March 4 passed Friday without an extension, which means the remaining four years on Hali’s contract have automatically been voided, resulting in the $4 million salary-cap charge, The Star has learned.

That means the Chiefs, who also have safety Eric Berry’s $10.8 million franchise tender tying up cap room, should have about $18.75 million to work with when free-agency starts Wednesday.

Never miss a local story.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Hali, 32, finished with 48 tackles this year and 6 1/2 sacks, achieving his sixth Pro Bowl berth, but he’s played through knee issues the last two seasons. He sat out practice most of last year in an effort to keep him fresh for Sundays.

He indicated a desire to return to the Chiefs for an 11th season in 2016 but made it clear that if he did, he wanted to make sure he could play better. Hali also indicated after the season that his knee would require surgery.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said at the 101 Awards banquet Saturday that the Chiefs and general manager John Dorsey have maintained constant dialogue with Hali.

“We’d love to have him back, I think, when it’s all said and done,” Reid said.

When asked if some of the decision to let the contract void had to do with whether Hali was still deciding whether to return in 2016, Reid said he believes Hali isn’t ready to retire.

“Yeah, I think he still wants to play,” Reid said. “And hopefully it all works out. We’re just starting the first phase of this thing, and that’s how it goes.”

If Hali does not return — it would have behooved the Chiefs to sign him to an extension before Friday’s deadline — it opens the door for 2014 first-round pick Dee Ford to get more playing time. Ford had 23 tackles and four sacks in 14 games last season, including five starts. Ford played a career-high 565 defensive snaps, according to Pro Football Focus.

The Chiefs have several other key players set to hit free-agency Wednesday, including another team icon in inside linebacker Derrick Johnson, and three underrated starters in cornerback Sean Smith, defensive tackle Jaye Howard and offensive guard Jeff Allen.

Howard, 27, and Smith, 28, particularly appear to benefit by testing the open market. Both are productive starters in their primes, and the NFL salary cap went up $13 million for each team this offseason.

The Chiefs have a handful of other free agents they might like to retain, including quarterback Chase Daniel, safety Tyvon Branch, defensive end Mike DeVito, safety Husain Abdullah, receiver Jason Avant, tackle Donald Stephenson, outside linebacker Frank Zombo, cornerback Jamell Fleming and outside linebacker Dezman Moses.

Most ridiculous handling of a contract I can ever remember. Dorsey couldn’t get deal done in time and we had to eat the 4 million dollar automatic cap hit and then a few days later got this horrendous contract done on top of that. Tamba has a total of 1 sack in the next two seasons and a whopping 1 tackle all of 2017. Clark Hunt has to be saying WTF. I know I was and I loved Dorsey at this point. It was a sign of a bigger problem.

Most ridiculous handling of a contract I can ever remember. Dorsey couldn’t get deal done in time and we had to eat the 4 million dollar automatic cap hit and then a few days later got this horrendous contract done on top of that. Tamba has a total of 1 sack in the next two seasons and a whopping 1 tackle all of 2017. Clark Hunt has to be saying WTF. I know I was and I loved Dorsey at this point. It was a sign of a bigger problem.

You are totally missing the point of why that contract was handled the way it was.  

March 4 passed Friday without an extension, which means the remaining four years on Hali’s contract have automatically been voided,

You are totally missing the point of why that contract was handled the way it was.

March 4 passed Friday without an extension, which means the remaining four years on Hali’s contract have automatically been voided,

Nope. I get it 100 percent. Just brutal mismanagement and a horrendous extension on top of it for a player that could barely run anymore.

This is just so odd.. Millions upon millions upon millions wasted on regressing underperforming veterans. And these type contracts handed out every single year Dorsey was here until he was finally fired. And now we have a good non partisan writer acknowledging our new GM is clearly looking to purge our roster of those bloated contracts. And showing how he’s making shrewd moves to get much younger, cheaper ascending players to fill long term talent voids.

And yet you ignore this and drone on and on about cheap short term quick fix contracts Veach handed out that have virtually zero future impact as if they are even remotely the same thing. Same type contracts signed by Dorsey all the time by the way and equally unimportant.

Oh well. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. I for one love the NEW directionVeach is obviously deploying. Now the question is can the kid be any good on draft day because ultimately that’s even more important.

Nope. I get it 100 percent. Just brutal mismanagement and a horrendous extension on top of it for a player that could barely run anymore.

This is just so odd.. Millions upon millions upon millions wasted on regressing underperforming veterans. And these type contracts handed out every single year Dorsey was here until he was finally fired. And now we have a good non partisan writer acknowledging our new GM is clearly looking to purge our roster of those bloated contracts. And showing how he’s making shrewd moves to get much younger, cheaper ascending players to fill long term talent voids.

And yet you ignore this and drone on and on about cheap short term quick fix contracts Veach handed out that have virtually zero future impact as if they are even remotely the same thing. Same type contracts signed by Dorsey all the time by the way and equally unimportant.

Oh well. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. I for one love the NEW directionVeach is obviously deploying. Now the question is can the kid be any good on draft day because ultimately that’s even more important.

Actually, you still missed it 100%.   But oh well.   Someday, hopefully, you'll let facts be your guide.   

Dorsey could steal his wallet, max out his accounts, Burn his house down and the guy would still praise him.

I feel like I gotta go to bat for blue here.. lots of people have taken their shots at blue recently, and with his opinions not always being of popular belief, and the fact that he is one of the more active posters, I guess makes him a likely target.. while my views don't always align with his I feel like he is consistent with his criticisms of gms/ coaches.. I also feel like he makes where he stands pretty clear, so while I get challenging a posters point, not sure I get some of the angles people come at him from.. makes the board feel clicky.. I don't like that shit.. so as will farrel so eloquently put it "your my boy blue"!

I feel like I gotta go to bat for blue here.. lots of people have taken their shots at blue recently, and with his opinions not always being of popular belief, and the fact that he is one of the more active posters, I guess makes him a likely target.. while my views don't always align with his I feel like he is consistent with his criticisms of gms/ coaches.. I also feel like he makes where he stands pretty clear, so while I get challenging a posters point, not sure I get some of the angles people come at him from.. makes the board feel clicky.. I don't like that shit.. so as will farrel so eloquently put it "your my boy blue"!

Thank you very much.  I don't mind the shots.   What I do mind, and always will,  is hypocrisy.  

With Tamba being so vocal about being benched in the playoffs last year and before the start of this past season I don't think he will retire. Unfortunately I don't think he will retire.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter, other than allowing him to go out on his own terms.   He won't be here next year, and the cap savings will be real.    

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter, other than allowing him to go out on his own terms.   He won't be here next year, and the cap savings will be real.    

With Tamba being so vocal about being benched in the playoffs last year and before the start of this past season I don't think he will retire. Unfortunately I don't think he will retire.

It's worse if he retires, right?  That's not the same as being cut and would cost KC more in cap space I believe.

Archived