We need picks. Would you trade Justin Houston for good picks?

Justin Houston's new cost to a new team if traded:

2018:  $15M vs current $20.6M

2019:  $15.5M vs current $21.1M

2020:  $17.5M vs current $19M

So the trading team would save a ton of money BUT damn even at $15M he is still expensive for what he's produced....BUT I guess Sutton is having one of the NFLs best pass rusher drop back in coverage half the time ERRRRRRRRRRRR

I'd honestly be ok with trading Houston BUT it would have to be for a player only trade.  To give up Houston I'd need a equal starter at another position of need.  The problem is that if we traded Houston, Pass rusher would then become our biggest need haha.

MAYBE we look at something like this:  

Trade Houston to the Cards for Patrick Peterson....Peterson would only cost us $11.25M 

THEN go out and sign a guy like Ezekiel Ansah for $10M 

So instead of paying Houston his $20M+ you have Peterson and Ansah on the books for the same cost.  

Not saying it has to be those two BUT if you plan on trading Houston you better know you can get his replacement in Free Agency and what ever player you get back from the Houston trade must be a starter for us as well.

Over 12 million in dead cap to trade our best defensive player and only pass rusher. That's crazy. And I largely disagree with the notion he's being misused with regularity. We are SO weak on the other side that Sutton is limited on how he can use him. Yes, I'd like to see more creativity with where we line him up, but teams double down on him as a pass rusher because literally nobody else can get to the QB. So what's the point of rushing him all the time when he elite in other areas too?

Again this is our best player and still grades out at almost an elite level on PFF. Is he yet another overpaid player by Dorsey. Yes. But this isn't the time to consider a move like this. But his contract is absurd so Veach needs to get creative at some point. 

Over 12 million in dead cap to trade our best defensive player and only pass rusher. That's crazy. And I largely disagree with the notion he's being misused with regularity. We are SO weak on the other side that Sutton is limited on how he can use him. Yes, I'd like to see more creativity with where we line him up, but teams double down on him as a pass rusher because literally nobody else can get to the QB. So what's the point of rushing him all the time when he elite in other areas too?

Again this is our best player and still grades out at almost an elite level on PFF. Is he yet another overpaid player by Dorsey. Yes. But this isn't the time to consider a move like this. But his contract is absurd so Veach needs to get creative at some point. 

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/01/11/kansas-city-chiefs-shake-status-quo-alex-smith/

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/04/21/chiefs-trade-idea-justin-houston-49ers-2018-top-pick/

I'd seriously consider SF's 1st & 3rd  but the thought of them giving that up is absurd IMO  I 

JMO but its my thinking we need to add play makers to our play makers on defense..after all defense is what wins championship and not make PH#5 score 28 +  to win a game

I would not trade him. He is over paid but is our best pass rusher. We will be lucky to find 1 legit pass rusher. Finding 2 is nearly impossible. No way I make a bad situation worse. Plus I can’t see him taking the kind of pay cut it would take to trade him.

We only gain 8 mill in space.

We'd never get back equal value. Smarter to keep building around houston so you don't need him in coverage.

Once he’s not the focus of the other teams offense, he’ll be back to beast mode. He’s needs some help opposite him. He’s not old, he’s not done yet.

Why are you posting stories from a year ago?

Are they not valid now?  Why bring it up then?

Why are you posting stories from a year ago?

4 weeks and 4 month articles.  49er trade is like 9months ago.

And they are valid for RIGHT NOW.   Instead of QB , we need DEFENSE to fix holes.   Is there anything else I can help you with?

Houston's days as a premier, down to down pass rusher, are over.   He's still a very good all around OLB, and should be for a few more years.  But unfortunately, his contract is for a premier pass rusher, and that contract is untradeable.   

We're stuck with him. He's gotta show up next year.

Depends.  I'm not sure how the dead money would affect the cap if traded but if you could trade him for a low 2nd rounder to get out of that contract I could see it happening. But who would you replace him with?  Slide Ford to the left side and sign Ziggy Ansah?  Because unless we switch to a 4-3 there aren't any more legit long term options at OLB.   More likely is we have to keep him for 2 more years until we can cut that albatross of a contract.   Thankfully he is still a very good player that is almost elite.   I would love to disagree with DBG but I think Houston is a 10-12 sack guy if we can get another competent rusher on the opposite side.   Where we luck out is in 2 years we have quite a few guys who will need a nice big contract so his will come off the books just in time.  

Archived