We need picks. Would you trade Justin Houston for good picks?

Depends. I'm not sure how the dead money would affect the cap if traded but if you could trade him for a low 2nd rounder to get out of that contract I could see it happening. But who would you replace him with? Slide Ford to the left side and sign Ziggy Ansah? Because unless we switch to a 4-3 there aren't any more legit long term options at OLB. More likely is we have to keep him for 2 more years until we can cut that albatross of a contract. Thankfully he is still a very good player that is almost elite. I would love to disagree with DBG but I think Houston is a 10-12 sack guy if we can get another competent rusher on the opposite side. Where we luck out is in 2 years we have quite a few guys who will need a nice big contract so his will come off the books just in time.

He had 9.5 sacks last year while being dropped in coverage a lot and no competent rusher on the other side. I think he will do 13 to 15 sacks easily if we get interior NT to take on double coverage, rusher on other side and able to rush him more.

Are they not valid now? Why bring it up then?

4 weeks and 4 month articles. 49er trade is like 9months ago.

And they are valid for RIGHT NOW. Instead of QB , we need DEFENSE to fix holes. Is there anything else I can help you with?

In the articles your posting the writer talks about saving massive money (21 million) by trading away Houston. That’s crazy innacurate. The dead CAP money on trading him last year was a staggering 32 million. Completely 100 percent not doable. Now that dead cap number does move to 12.2 million this year but it’s still REALLY high. Drops to 7.2 million next season which becomes more doable in your trade scenarios.

We are now talking about Houston like we talked about Hali. He just needs some help across from him to get home. While everyone needs a little help, elite guys get home a lot. Yes he dropped into coverage a lot but I saw a lot of times he would get stonewalled by one O lineman. Could he bounce back? Sure getting another offseason in healthy will probably only help. But don't look for him dropping into coverage any less as long as sutton is here because our defense is dictated by the offense. OCs just call plays that take home out of the play. I'm not bashing Houston, he's a great player but there is a chance he is not and elite rusher anymore. Whether that's true or not planning for the future starts now. Those guys don't grow on trees and some take time to develop. I would love for us to move up and grab a guy like Dorace Armstrong to develop. But mole you are right, next year would be the year to trade him if they were going to. I

Think we keep building around him and just start drafting his replacement.

The title of this thread confuses me...why exactly do we need picks? In theory we are really only missing our 1st rounder. We have a third from the Alex trade to replace the 5th we lost and we will most likely be awarded a 5th or 6th to replace the 7th we lost. I remember the eagles giving up a bunch of picks to get Wentz...and they turned out fine. We also picked up fuller, who fills the CB need we very well could have drafted in the 1st. Cleveland has 27 picks every year and they still suck...we don’t NEED picks as long as we make the most of the likely six picks we will have...

The title of this thread confuses me...why exactly do we need picks? In theory we are really only missing our 1st rounder. We have a third from the Alex trade to replace the 5th we lost and we will most likely be awarded a 5th or 6th to replace the 7th we lost. I remember the eagles giving up a bunch of picks to get Wentz...and they turned out fine. We also picked up fuller, who fills the CB need we very well could have drafted in the 1st. Cleveland has 27 picks every year and they still suck...we don’t NEED picks as long as we make the most of the likely six picks we will have...

Decent chance we get 1 or 2 7th rounders still from previous trades as well.

He had 9.5 sacks last year while being dropped in coverage a lot and no competent rusher on the other side. I think he will do 13 to 15 sacks easily if we get interior NT to take on double coverage, rusher on other side and able to rush him more.

And missed a game or two right?

But yea, his days as a rusher are over..

And missed a game or two right?

But yea, his days as a rusher are over..

Not over. He still can be a 12-14 sack man a year. Give him another off season to recoup and another legit pass rusher on the end. 

The J Houston we are used to seeing was against Denver in 16 and 1st game against the Pats - a closer. A game changer / ender...

Not over. He still can be a 12-14 sack man a year. Give him another off season to recoup and another legit pass rusher on the end.

The J Houston we are used to seeing was against Denver in 16 and 1st game against the Pats - a closer. A game changer / ender...

I was joking.

We're stuck with him. He's gotta show up next year.

He'll show up for the next few years as a very good, all around OLB, but not as a premiere, 15-20 sack guy, that changes games single handedly, and is a top 2 defensive player in the NFL.   That's pretty obvious from his play this year, and how easily he was handled in one on one pass rush opportunities,and frequently gave up in same,  like he never did when he was the Justin Houston I'm referring to.   He has very few games where the old explosion is there.   But his all around play is always there.  

Those are actually pretty solid numbers for 3-4 OLBs. If we can find a guy that can replicate those numbers on the other side while being able to drop in coverage when needed Chiefs should be golden in the LB department.

Those are actually pretty solid numbers for 3-4 OLBs. If we can find a guy that can replicate those numbers on the other side while being able to drop in coverage when needed Chiefs should be golden in the LB department.

There's no question about it. The pass rush needs to be ignited. Enough is enough. Two years of having one of the worst pass rushes is ridiculous . Need to mix things up.

Archived