What do yall expect from Robinson next season?

Can elaborate on that? What did he do wrong?

He had a few drops in the Denver game, but other than that I thought he made good progress. He gets a TON more separation than Conley and the dude is a good athlete. Him n Patty Cakes seem to have a rapport so I expect him to continue making strides and be a valuable piece going forward.

My only thing is this...weve now drafted a WR in the mid rounds 3 straight years with Conley, Chesson, and DRob. Do we go into camp and let them fight for number 2? Or do we go get a veteran to put across from Hill and know that we have those 3 guys we drafted as really good depth 3-5?

Can elaborate on that? What did he do wrong? 

He missed on some routes and had more drops than I would like to see. He had limited chances that he didn't really use with Smith but I was expecting to see him flourish with Mahomes as the talk was they were practicing more than the rest as the future starters. However in the Denver game he didn't look to be ready. Still there's a lot of potential there and could simply be the excitement of his first real NFL game and could bounce back considerably. At this point I wouldn't really consider him anything more than a decent #4 candidate but with a QB like Mahomes any WR can make an instant jump from the sample size we have seen.

One thing to mention is that if the Chiefs don't keep Wilson I think it'll be entirely based on the trust in Robinson's ability to take over. 

Robinson has everything a young Maclin had. Just needs the opportunity. Gets great separation. Can take the top off a D. Never gives up on a play. Willing blocker.

With Mahomes, I also love the potential of Conley but he's more technical on his routes than Robinson and when that route ends, he usually does also. I hope he adapts to playing a bit more "backyard."

He missed on some routes and had more drops than I would like to see. He had limited chances that he didn't really use with Smith but I was expecting to see him flourish with Mahomes as the talk was they were practicing more than the rest as the future starters. However in the Denver game he didn't look to be ready. Still there's a lot of potential there and could simply be the excitement of his first real NFL game and could bounce back considerably. At this point I wouldn't really consider him anything more than a decent #4 candidate but with a QB like Mahomes any WR can make an instant jump from the sample size we have seen.

Well I must say I disagree with some of the things you said here. 

1. How many catches did he actually drop? Many talk about the Denver game and In some of the highlights

he had two drops I would say he perhaps could have caught but in all honesty Pat fizzed them into him real fast. The other "drop" at 5:58 was way too high for him imo. Then we had the back-shoulder throw at 7:07 and to me that was tough because Pat threw it a little low. So imo I'm not sure he dropped anything "easy" In that game. What is very encouraging though is the separation he got on several occasions. The route he runs at 6:30 Is simply elite, he beats that CB all ends up but Pat just missed him there. He beat the CB In
video at 9:13 too. 

And then we come to the Tenn game

you see three of the four catches he made in that two-minute drive that lead to his TD. Avoids a jam, catches the ball and jinks past the CB. That's elite level skills imo and that's why I believe he can become a number one receiver.

Well I must say I disagree with some of the things you said here. 

1. How many catches did he actually drop? Many talk about the Denver game and In some of the highlights

he had two drops I would say he perhaps could have caught but in all honesty Pat fizzed them into him real fast. The other "drop" at 5:58 was way too high for him imo. Then we had the back-shoulder throw at 7:07 and to me that was tough because Pat threw it a little low. So imo I'm not sure he dropped anything "easy" In that game. What is very encouraging though is the separation he got on several occasions. The route he runs at 6:30 Is simply elite, he beats that CB all ends up but Pat just missed him there. He beat the CB In
video at 9:13 too. 

And then we come to the Tenn game

you see three of the four catches he made in that two-minute drive that lead to his TD. Avoids a jam, catches the ball and jinks past the CB. That's elite level skills imo and that's why I believe he can become a number one receiver.

I think the Denver game was the only weak performance that was questionable by him. Up to that the sample size has been very small and the production has been very promising. However he failed to catch most of the targets in that game either due to bad throws, missing adjustments, or simply drops. I think he has a lot of potential but the question in my mind is will he be able to realize that potential. Some guys are very good in smaller roles while not being able to handle being the primary guy. As I said it could have simply been a one game thing as he bounced back later on to catch a TD in the playoffs. 

Mahomes is going to spread it around, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see as many as 5 receivers with 50 catches. That’s why I think it’s important to have a diverse group of guys that do different things well as opposed to having a bunch of 5’9-6’1 guys that all bring similar things to the table. We have prime players at prime positions on rookie contracts , so bringing in a receiver shouldn’t be a problem at all. This offense needs balance and variation to take the next step.

What did Antonio Brown do In his first season? And who was Adam Thielan a year ago? Robinson has all the tools to be a top-class player imo. Speed, The ability to get separation, Elusiveness and good hands are all in his make-up. Receivers also need targets which Robinson barely got with Alex. The one time Alex actually showed him some trust (against Tenn) Demarcus had his best performance.

Robinson was hidden as a special weapon. Those misses early were designed on purpose, but little did we know it would cause losses to the Giants. Rats!

I'm only kidding above, but I do think we went to Robinson more in the last two games than previous games for several reasons.

Robinson was hidden as a special weapon. Those misses early were designed on purpose, but little did we know it would cause losses to the Giants. Rats!

I'm only kidding above, but I do think we went to Robinson more in the last two games than previous games for several reasons.

Think Reid preparing him for next season? 

Think Reid preparing him for next season? 

Yes, but part of those two games was under the old guard. He had more experience at the end, he proved himself more (even though he had the dropsies against Denver, he got open in the system, not scramble drills), etc.

What did Antonio Brown do In his first season? And who was Adam Thielan a year ago? Robinson has all the tools to be a top-class player imo. Speed, The ability to get separation, Elusiveness and good hands are all in his make-up. Receivers also need targets which Robinson barely got with Alex. The one time Alex actually showed him some trust (against Tenn) Demarcus had his best performance.

He’s been around for two years without making a dent. For contrast, ty was scoring within his first few games. I’d love to be wrong —I’d love for all the Chiefs to be awesome. Just not seeing it.

It’s funny on this board how all our young unproven players are going to be awesome, while so many of the guys that actually play are deemed worthless (al Wilson up until the second half of last season, for example). Very binary.

He’s been around for two years without making a dent. For contrast, ty was scoring within his first few games. I’d love to be wrong —I’d love for all the Chiefs to be awesome. Just not seeing it.

It’s funny on this board how all our young unproven players are going to be awesome, while so many of the guys that actually play are deemed worthless (al Wilson up until the second half of last season, for example). Very binary.

LOL "without making a dent"..yeah, apart from being our best receiver in our last playoff game :D . And no-one is comparing him to Hill. I asked you what Brown and Thielan did in their first years and you ducked it because they done nothing special themselves. So what is the lesson that can be learned from that? Take a guess. You also failed to acknowledge the fact that Robinson barely got any targets last season, so how was he meant to "score" like Ty? 

LOL "without making a dent"..yeah, apart from being our best receiver in our last playoff game :D . And no-one is comparing him to Hill. I asked you what Brown and Thielan did in their first years and you ducked it because they done nothing special themselves. So what is the lesson that can be learned from that? Take a guess. You also failed to acknowledge the fact that Robinson barely got any targets last season, so how was he meant to "score" like Ty? 

I guess my definition of a "dent" is somewhat beyond 4 catches for 57 yards.

Is your point about Brown and Thielan that sometimes players get significantly better?  I'm not "ducking" that.  It obviously happens.  I don't think I ever said it's /impossible/ that Robinson doesn't become great.  In fact, I hope he does. 

But what correlation are you referring to between those two players and Robinson?  Just that they didn't stand out their first two years?  If so, I can give you quite a few names of nondescript WRs that don't ever pan out.  There's a helluva lot more than 2 names in that list.

Or, if your point is that we can just /hope/ he gets better, then count me in!

How tall was the receivers for Mahomes in college? I know it is not the NFL but if he can make smaller receivers look good with his throws, then I think we are just fine in the size department as those mentioned above are all over 6'1". I would go with another 6'6" type TE.

Mahomes was surrounded by sub par talent at Tech. I think I heard they didn’t have one other NFL player on the entire roster his junior year. But getting separation in college is a different deal. And maybe the size thing is overplayed but there are WRs who just operate better than others in tight quarters. Alex’s completion percentage was an unbelievably low 46 percent in the red zone. That can’t all be on him.

Robinson has potential, but it seems way overly optimistic hard to believe he’s going to be the the red zone answer.

Absolutely. If I see another pass bounce off Harris' chest I'm going to hurl.

Even though I think we need another WR as well, TE might be the higher priority. Not only we lose out on a receiving option there's also a huge drop off between Kelce and the next man up.

Most WRs have historically taken 2 to 3 years to contribute meaningfully in Andy's system. Hill was an exception not the rule, and even then they changed the offense for him, especially in the routes he was asked to run.

Don’t disagree with this at all. It’s kind of my point. Hill was worth changing the offense for.

Most WRs have historically taken 2 to 3 years to contribute meaningfully in Andy's system. Hill was an exception not the rule, and even then they changed the offense for him, especially in the routes he was asked to run.

Not really sure if Hill is an exception. He's still trying to adjust and learn routes while making a major impact simply due to his speed. His hand developed faster than expected which was also a big plus. 

Archived