LB Derrick Johnson Set to Become Free Agent After 13 Seasons in Kansas City

No real surprise... but it's gonna happen.  Never know, he may end up back in KC for less money?

The Kansas City Chiefs announced on Tuesday that linebacker Derrick Johnson will become a free agent when his contract with the club expires at the start of the new league year on March 14. The announcement ends Johnson’s 13-year run with the Chiefs.

“Few players in recent history have meant more to the Chiefs franchise and the Kansas City community than Derrick Johnson,” Chiefs Chairman and CEO Clark Hunt said. “His tireless work ethic and passion for the game made him one of the most productive defensive players to ever wear a Chiefs uniform and one of the most respected players both in our locker room and around the league. Over the last 13 seasons, Derrick represented himself and the Chiefs organization with integrity and class, and he will always be a part of our Chiefs family.”

Johnson is the franchise’s all-time leading tackler, compiling 1,262 career stops (993 solo) in his 13 seasons with the Chiefs (2005-17). He earned four Pro Bowl berths in his time with the club.

“I’ve been blessed to be a part of the Kansas City Chiefs organization my entire career,” Johnson said. “I’d like to thank the Hunt family, my coaches, teammates and the staff for the tremendous amount of support I received over the years. I love Kansas City and this fan base, they’ve always had my back. I’m grateful I had the opportunity to spend 13 years in a place I love. I plan on playing for several more years because I love this game so much, but I look forward to retiring as a member of the Kansas City Chiefs when my career is over. I’ll miss my Chiefs teammates – we made a lot of big plays together over the years – and I wish them the best in bringing a championship home to the best and loudest fans in the NFL.”

General Manager Brett Veach and Head Coach Andy Reid weighed in on Johnson’s tenure in Kansas City.

“Letting go of a player like Derrick is particularly tough because of how much respect I have for him as a player and as a person,” Veach said. “He’s had a tremendous career here in Kansas City, and we wish him nothing but the best moving forward.”

“I’m grateful I had the opportunity to coach a player like Derrick,” Reid said. “He’s a passionate football player and a natural leader. I value the amount of quality work he put in every day for us, including teaching our younger players what it means to be a pro. I think he will make an incredible coach when he is done playing the game, if he chooses.”

Johnson played in 182 games (169 starts) with the club tallying 27.5 sacks, 40 quarterback pressures, 14 interceptions – returning four of those INTs for touchdowns – 23 forced fumbles and eight fumble recoveries. Johnson had a career-high 179 tackles in 2011 that led to his first of four Pro Bowl appearances. In addition to his four Pro Bowl berths, Johnson was named the club’s Mack Lee Hill Award winner following his rookie season, an award given to the team’s top rookie or first year player. Additionally, after his career year in 2011, Johnson was awarded with the Derrick Thomas Award, given to the team’s MVP. The former Texas Longhorn originally entered the NFL as the Chiefs first-round pick (15th overall) in 2005.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sucks.  I totally understand it, but it just sucks. 

If no other team offers what he wants maybe he could come back to the Chiefs on a super cheap deal.

It would just be great to have him around the younger LBs we have as a mentor and coach on the field.

Does this free up any cap space now or just when March 14th comes?

Not until that day. Same with the Smith trade. Gives us about 16 mill under the cap. Hali will free up over 7 more. Thats a great start.

It was the right thing to do but it's still kind of a sad day. The defense has never been the same since DJ's first achilles injury. Even with his lost step and advanced age, he was still our best cover LB. Presuming we don't bring him back, we need to find a LB with cover skills this offseason.

He will always be one of my all time favorite Chiefs. Ran into him in Austin for a KU game a few years back and after I told him my buddy and I were season ticket holders, he ended up buying us multiple rounds of drinks and was just very pleasant and humble to talk with. 

Veach is clearly very serious about this youth movement. 

He will always be one of my all time favorite Chiefs. Ran into him in Austin for a KU game a few years back and after I told him my buddy and I were season ticket holders, he ended up buying us multiple rounds of drinks and was just very pleasant and humble to talk with. 

Veach is clearly very serious about this youth movement. 

I'd kill to know what Veach has in mind for DJ's replacement.  It can't just be Ragland and re-signing KPL, can it?

Veach ain't playing yall!!!...the guy is a killer and this actually underlines why he may be the best thing to happen to this organization In a LONG time. He's clearly all in on the youth movement and I totally agree with him. A team that grows together can go on to be dominant for many years to come. Ragland needs a quality partner alongside him and I think Veach will be getting one in the draft hopefully. 

Why announce so soon? That's what I don't get. You could share with DJ the plans so he and his agent can quietly begin looking at his next landing spot, but announcing to the whole league your plans nearly 3 weeks in advance seems like it could put the Chiefs at a disadvantage with other teams possibly in the FA MLB market (or reduce any advantage they may have held by keeping this close to the vest). I'm not suggesting the Chiefs are/should be in the FA MLB market, only that they just ripped off the cloak of secrecy for no apparent reason.

I'd kill to know what Veach has in mind for DJ's replacement.  It can't just be Ragland and re-signing KPL, can it?

Ragland looks like the long missing answer at the "mike" LB spot. But DJ's spot? Gotta think its a priority unless they love Eligwe. Veach took a shot with KPL who definitely helped but looks more like a good depth, spot starter type rather than a real solution for replacing DJ.  

Ragland looks like the long missing answer at the "mike" LB spot. But DJ's spot? Gotta think its a priority unless they love Eligwe. Veach took a shot with KPL who definitely helped but looks more like a good depth, spot starter type rather than a real solution for replacing DJ.

The draft is pretty stocked with inside guys this year.

Why announce so soon? That's what I don't get. You could share with DJ the plans so he and his agent can quietly begin looking at his next landing spot, but announcing to the whole league your plans nearly 3 weeks in advance seems like it could put the Chiefs at a disadvantage with other teams possibly in the FA MLB market (or reduce any advantage they may have held by keeping this close to the vest). I'm not suggesting the Chiefs are/should be in the FA MLB market, only that they just ripped off the cloak of secrecy for no apparent reason.

Yeah none of this makes any sense to me. I don't see how this hurts them at all. They're busy ripping band aids off. Which is good. Remember there's a 3 day legal tampering period now before free agency.

One of the best Chiefs, no doubt. He was a beast in his prime, but it’s time to move on from DJ. I can definitely see him coaching when he’s done with football.

I wish he'd do that now, with us. I can't blame him for wanting to play though. Gotta get it out of your system.

Yeah none of this makes any sense to me. I don't see how this hurts them at all. They're busy ripping band aids off. Which is good. Remember there's a 3 day legal tampering period now before free agency.

Agreed. The idea that another team is going to try and sign a guy to block us from getting him seems pretty naive. Theyd literally have to know every ILB we have on our list of interest.

Just a reminder but Arrowhead aka Captain Cranky stepped on DJ's injured ankle the year when we had dinner with him and his brother. He was out with that injury at the time. That was the year we supported his charity at festivus. Still have signed game gloves and stuff from that auction.

Good times.

I'm just saying it seems odd to announce this 3-weeks before it can even happen.  You'd never hear about something like this from the Patriots.  Not that I want our Chiefs to be the Patriots, but there's something to be said for keeping your cards close to your vest and not showing your next move.  I'm not naive thinking the entire league is now scheming to outplay the Chiefs for a MLB, but all it takes is one team to throw a monkey wrench into the works.  

Archived