LB Derrick Johnson Set to Become Free Agent After 13 Seasons in Kansas City

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blue guy appears telling us what a mistake it was and Dorsey would of done better in 3..2...1

Actually, it seems Dorsey signed him to a great contract, with no downside for not retaining him in 2018, and we might be eligible for a comp pick in 2019, with him not being here.  I'm pleasantly surprised.  I hope someone signs him now.  I was wondering why it didn't say Chiefs cut DJ, now we know.  Great job by Dorsey, that Veach benefitted from by making a smart move.  Aren't you glad you mentioned me?   :P

DJ's great Chief career will always be a testament to him, and to Todd Haley, who turned him into a hard nosed NFL player.  

Chiefs say goodbye to veteran linebacker Derrick Johnson

BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR

tpaylor@kcstar.com

February 13, 2018 03:02 PM

Proving they’re serious about getting younger next season, the Chiefs have decided to let inside linebacker and franchise cornerstone Derrick Johnson hit free agency in March.

Johnson, a 35-year-old veteran who has played all 13 of his NFL seasons in Kansas City, told The Star on Tuesday that he was made aware of the team’s decision during a recent discussion with general manager Brett Veach.

A four-time Pro Bowler, Johnson recorded 71 tackles and seven pass deflections in 2017 after fast-tracking his recovery from a torn Achilles the previous December.

He signed a three-year, $21 million contract extension in March 2016. When he restructured that deal a year ago, he freed up $4.25 million and voided the third year of the contract.

“When I restructured my deal, I voided my last year out,” Johnson said. “In order for me to come back with the Chiefs, we’d have to work on a deal or do something for a one-year type of deal.

“But the Chiefs, they wanted to go younger across the board — that’s what (general manager Brett) Veach was talking about. I wasn’t in their plans, and I understood that. They’ve got some cap issues, and even though I would have bended some to be a Chief, there really was no negotiation. I just wasn’t in the plans. And that happens; it is what it is.”

KC Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson has spent this season mentoring Chiefs inside linebacker Reggie Ragland on the finer points of the position. David Eulittdeulitt@kcstar.com

Johnson will become a free agent on March 14, the first day of the new league year. Including the impact of Tuesday’s news, the Chiefs will have about $15 million in salary-cap space once their recent trade of Alex Smith to Washington goes through.

Although he saw his defensive workload decrease due to the emergence of a pair of younger players, Reggie Ragland and Kevin Pierre-Louis, Johnson still led all the Chiefs’ inside linebackers in total snaps in 2017, with 896. He was on the field for 76.5 percent of the Chiefs’ defensive plays, or 45 percent more than Ragland, the next-closest player at his position.

“I thought there’d be a chance we could negotiate something,” Johnson said. “But it is what it is. I appreciate Veach being straight up with me by saying, ‘Hey, this is where we’re going. I don’t want to lead you on. We appreciate and respect everything you’ve got going on, but right now, D.J., you’re not in our plans going forward.’”

The Chiefs certainly respect Johnson’s contributions through the years. Veach, chairman Clark Hunt and coach Andy Reid all issued appreciative statements Tuesday, reminiscent of the sendoff they gave future Ring of Honor member Jamaal Charles last offseason.

“Few players in recent history have meant more to the Chiefs franchise and the Kansas City community than Derrick Johnson,” Hunt said in a statement. “His tireless work ethic and passion for the game made him one of the most productive defensive players to ever wear a Chiefs uniform and one of the most respected players both in our locker room and around the league.

“Over the last 13 seasons, Derrick represented himself and the Chiefs organization with integrity and class, and he will always be a part of our Chiefs family.”

Johnson was a first-round pick by the Chiefs in 2005 out of Texas. He went on to become the team’s all-time leading tackler, with 1,262.

“Letting go of a player like Derrick is particularly tough because of how much respect I have for him as a player and as a person,” Veach said. “He’s had a tremendous career here in Kansas City, and we wish him nothing but the best moving forward.”

Reid said he’s grateful he was able to coach Johnson, whose career in KC spanned three general managers. With his departure, punter Dustin Colquitt will be the lone remaining Chief who was drafted by former GM Carl Peterson. Johnson saw all the highs and lows here, playing for two 2-14 teams that eventually rebounded to make the playoffs.

“He’s a passionate football player and a natural leader,” Reid said. “I value the amount of quality work he put in every day for us, including teaching our younger players what it means to be a pro. I think he will make an incredible coach when he is done playing the game, if he chooses.”

Johnson told The Star that he expects to continue his playing career elsewhere this fall in pursuit of a Super Bowl ring.

“I at least want to play a couple more years,” he said. “I at least want get to 15 years in the league. Right now, I’m just chasing a ring, man. I am.

“When I hit the free-agency market, my decision will be based on who can be a contender and who has a need for me to play. I don’t want to just go on a team; I want to be a part of a team to help them win a championship.”

Johnson had hoped to do so with the Chiefs.

“It’s going to be a tough deal to leave Kansas City,” he said. “We knew it was coming at some point. But they say it usually comes sooner than later, and it’s here.”

Johnson made it clear that he’ll always consider the Chiefs his No. 1 team. When asked if he’s leaving with any hard feelings against the organization or Reid, Johnson said no.

“Not at all, man, not at all,” Johnson said. “I’ve had five head coaches, and he’s the best. I’ve won a lot with Andy Reid and I have a lot of respect for him. I think the world of Kansas City, so there’s no bridges burned. It’s a good, long relationship and everyone knew it would end at some point.

“I’m a Chief at heart. My kids are Chiefs fans, and I’m sure whatever team I’m on (next), my kids are gonna have two teams, I’ll tell you that.”

A look at who could replace Derrick Johnson The Kansas City Chiefs said farewell to linebacker Derrick Johnson on Tuesday, announcing he will be hitting the free agent market when his contract voids on March 14.

The Kansas City Chiefs said farewell to linebacker Derrick Johnson on Tuesday, announcing he will be hitting the free agent market when his contract voids on March 14. Johnson, 35, will be leaving Kansas City after 13 seasons as the Chiefs look to get younger on defense.

“Letting go of a player like Derrick is particularly tough because of how much respect I have for him as a player and as a person,” Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said in a statement. “He’s had a tremendous career here in Kansas City, and we wish him nothing but the best moving forward.”

The departure of Johnson, who started 15 games for the Chiefs in 2017, leaves a hole at inside linebacker the team must now look to fill, with the other starter next season assumed to be Reggie Ragland. It's an area the team could look to address internally, or by adding a free agent from the outside. 

In-house possibilities

6_7990693.jpg(Photo: Kelvin Kuo, USA TODAY Sports) 

Kevin Pierre-Louis: Pierre-Louis (26) was behind Johnson on the depth chart last season but is heading towards free agency. The Chiefs might have been looking to re-sign him regardless of Johnson's status, but now he could be an increased priority. Pierre-Louis (41 tackles in 14 games last season) was arrested in January but pleaded not guilty to his charges, which included (among other things) misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

Terrance Smith: Smith got an opportunity to start in late 2016 after Johnson suffered a season-ending Achilles injury. He's set to become an exclusive rights free agent.

Ukeme Eligwe: A fifth-round pick of the Chiefs in the 2017 NFL Draft, Eligwe saw time mostly on special teams as a rookie but earned the praise of coaches in the preseason and could be in line for a bigger role next year.

Free agents

It's hard to get an accurate reading on what the Chiefs' cap space is at the moment, but Spotrac.com as of Tuesdayestimated a Top 51 cap number of $17.7 million and a complete cap estimate of $12.6 million (Johnson will still take up $2.25 million next season). Whatever the figure might be, assume the Chiefs will need to continue to clear cap space, especially if they want to pay for a replacement for Johnson on the open market.

Here are five names of note at the linebacker position who are slated for free agency on March 14. We're sticking on the young side when looking at possible free agent replacements since getting younger appears to be a goal of the Chiefs while fixing their defense, but here is a quickly thrown together list without considering how well the might fit with what the Chiefs are looking for.

6_8011867.jpg(Photo: Christopher Hanewinckel, USA TODAY Sports)

Preston Brown, Buffalo Bills - Brown, 25, had a good showing in 2017 and finished the season in a three-way tie with Joe Schobert (Cleveland) and Blake Martinez (Green Bay) for the league lead in tackles. If the Bills let him walk, there will be plenty of interest.

Zach Brown, Washington Redskins - Zach Brown is the oldest linebacker (28) listed here, but he's been one of the more prolific tacklers in the NFL the past two seasons, making 127 in 2017 after racking up 141 with the Bills in 2016.

Todd Davis, Denver Broncos - Davis, 25, is a run-stuffer who fought through injuries in 2017 to put up 82 tackles in 14 games. He has voiced a desire to stay in Denver but should get plenty of interest if the Broncos let him walk.

Anthony Hitchens, Dallas Cowboys - The Cowboys might try to re-sign Hitchens, 25, if they can afford it. Hitchens rebounded from an early season knee injury that kept him out for four games to rack up a career-high 84 tackles.

Avery Williamson, Tennessee Titans - Williamson, 26, will be an attractive free agent option for several teams if he hits free agency. He's a four-year starter for the Titans who has been a standout against the run and has 377 tackles over his first four seasons.

Author

Kirk Larrabee  @nfl_chiefs247

Looking at the statements DJ, Hunt, and the rest had quite a bit of talk about the process and agreed upon a game plan. I don't get the contract being void though, is he not released, was there an option year?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back for less after testing the market but I'm guessing he'll have some buyers in FA. I'm wondering how the KPL situation will turn out, we could probably sign him for cheap but the fact that he hasn't been yet makes me think if he's going to try the FA.

Pretty classy move. Let’s him get the word out he is available.

Yep. We did the right thing for both Alex and DJ. Probably hoping Tamba will retire. After the black eye we got from Dorsey texting Maclin his walking papers this helps our image league wide. This type of thing can matter to some potential free agents down the road.

Just a reminder but Arrowhead aka Captain Cranky stepped on DJ's injured ankle the year when we had dinner with him and his brother. He was out with that injury at the time. That was the year we supported his charity at festivus. Still have signed game gloves and stuff from that auction.

Good times.

I should have kicked him twice if I knew he was gonna skip out on the golf outing. Sonofabitch owes me $500.

Later, I appreciate the cap savings.

For those asking why announce now instead of in 3 weeks...my guess is that the Chiefs are going to be making several more announcements like this (Hali, Not pursuing Colquitt, Sorenson, parker, Harris, Zombo, etc.), and want to spread it out, otherwise face possible backlash from the fans if they get hit with losing half the starting team all at once...

I love both and they are the heart of this team, but I don't understand how HALI is still on the team when DJ is not.  I swear that Hali must have compromising pictures of Clark Hunt or something...

I'm just saying it seems odd to announce this 3-weeks before it can even happen.  You'd never hear about something like this from the Patriots.  Not that I want our Chiefs to be the Patriots, but there's something to be said for keeping your cards close to your vest and not showing your next move.  I'm not naive thinking the entire league is now scheming to outplay the Chiefs for a MLB, but all it takes is one team to throw a monkey wrench into the works.  

They did it for Derrick Johnson and so that he is not left out in the dark.  Now he can plan for free agency.

DJ's great Chief career will always be a testament to him, and to Todd Haley, who turned him into a hard nosed NFL player.  

I whole heartedly agree with this. I know many despised Haley's time as a head coach, but Haley set a tone and made it clear that consistency from players was more important then flash plays. DJ got the message and balled out ever since.

I should have kicked him twice if I knew he was gonna skip out on the golf outing. Sonofabitch owes me $500.

Later, I appreciate the cap savings.

lol i knew that would bring u out of the woodworks. Maybe he was still pissed u tried to end his career. Overpaid motherfucker!!!

I still have my autographed  DJ Football and Autographed Old Arrowhead Stadium DJ autographed plastic seat.... from the auction  evening! What a great pleasure that was...up until Captain Cranky kicked the poor guy....

You guys are still the best....

Kudo's to DJ...Ring of Honor at a min.  Great, Great player

w

Mr. Thomas I would like to thank you for serving our community and football team with such dignity and strong continued commitment. If I see you on the streets I will speak. Thank you my brother.

Thomas ??WTF??..you expect to be taken seriously????

I still have my autographed  DJ Football and Autographed Old Arrowhead Stadium DJ autographed plastic seat.... from the auction  evening! What a great pleasure that was...up until Captain Cranky kicked the poor guy....

You guys are still the best....

Kudo's to DJ...Ring of Honor at a min.  Great, Great player

w

All I need now is for Evad to pop in and talk about the game worn shoes.

Diehard didn't you got the autographed poster? Still hanging over your bed?

Archived