Who's next (other than Tamba, of course)?

Man this team is going to look different next year!  I guess we all knew 2017 was the last hurrah for that crew, but it's kind of difficult to watch...  So who else is on the chopping block?

Houston? (I think he's safe this year, but may be asked to restructure)

Bailey?  (likely)

Parker?  (I thought he was safe before, but not sure anymore)

Assuming Houston remains, he and EB are officially on notice...  They are now the elder statesmen, and their last hurrah is coming up soon.

I think Hali will be our last cut. We only have a 2nd and two 3rd round draft picks that will hopefully be worth a damn. We aren't going to be able to replace very many bodies this year. Maybe one solid free agent and some role players after as we aren't going to win bidding wars. It's PM first year, no pressure to make major moves this year for them.

Clearly after Jones went down we saw how little quality depth we really have on the dline. But Bailey only had 21 tackles and 2 sacks last season and we can save 6 million by cutting him. He’s only 29 next season, but maybe injuries have eroded something? If they think he’s fine physically and could rebound a restructured deal is possible.

Parker’s graded out as below average last season and we save almost 6 million here as well. I’ll be surprised if he’s back but all of our safeties looked putrid without Berry there to do heavy lifting.

Other younger guys to watch are Ware, West and Harris who would save about 2 million each. 1 of those guys at least could be on chopping block.

Our most overpaid player will be Eric Fisher at about 14 million. But we’ve got no replacement, he’s still young and we’d save nothing. Candidate for restructure at any time.

We will very likely be over 15 million in dead cap money in 2018.

Sorry.

My bad.

Sorensen. Eat the contract?

I think Sorensen stays for another year and once that contract is no longer an issue he'll be gone. However he's the weakest link in our secondary right now, it's probably just the guarantee that will keep him in town.

Clearly after Jones went down we saw how little quality depth we really have on the dline. But Bailey only had 21 tackles and 2 sacks last season and we can save 6 million by cutting him. He’s only 29 next season, but maybe injuries have eroded something? If they think he’s fine physically and could rebound a restructured deal is possible.

Parker’s graded out as below average last season and we save almost 6 million here as well. I’ll be surprised if he’s back but all of our safeties looked putrid without Berry there to do heavy lifting.

Other younger guys to watch are Ware, West and Harris who would save about 2 million each. 1 of those guys at least could be on chopping block.

Our most overpaid player will be Eric Fisher at about 14 million. But we’ve got no replacement, he’s still young and we’d save nothing. Candidate for restructure at any time.

Still the worst contract of recent Chiefs history. If Erving was the real deal he could be a consideration for upcoming years but at this point Fisher is one of the better players on the roster, which isn't saying much when looking at our OL. 

Still the worst contract of recent Chiefs history. If Erving was the real deal he could be a consideration for upcoming years but at this point Fisher is one of the better players on the roster, which isn't saying much when looking at our OL.

You are basically saying our o-line sucks. And if he is one of the best players on our roster that would mean our roster sucks. But we have one of the better offenses in the league and have won the division 2 years in a row.

How does this make any sense?

I think Sorensen stays for another year and once that contract is no longer an issue he'll be gone. However he's the weakest link in our secondary right now, it's probably just the guarantee that will keep him in town.

Sorensen's contract is structured so that there is not a huge advantage to cutting him now.   http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/daniel-sorensen-14953/

If I understand this crap, we would save 1.8 million cutting him this year, 2.75 million if we cut him next year, or 3.75 million if we cut him in 2020.  I suspect he hangs on another season, maybe 2, but hopefully he plays way, way less.  The less he plays, the better he is, and we are.  This is actually the current contract I hate the most from Dorsey.  He paid a 1 million a year, year to year player at best, 4 million a year, and locked him to us.  And we play him so much more than his ability warrants, and maybe it's because we're paying him so much.  

We are thin on the dline right now, so I don't think they cut Bailey.  They will probably tender RNR, and maybe re-sign Jarvis Jenkins on the cheap.  Still have to find a Nose.

Berry coming back will make Parker and Sorenson better.  Sorenson sucked playing Berry's dime role, but was acceptable before when Berry was out there, which is what got him his extension.

Hopefully, Tamba just retires gracefully, while he can still walk.

You are basically saying our o-line sucks. And if he is one of the best players on our roster that would mean our roster sucks. But we have one of the better offenses in the league and have won the division 2 years in a row.

Fisher specifically is paid like a Pro Bowler but is really a solid mid tier type tackle. Not bad, not good. Schwartz is our best right tackle since John Tait. Together jts a solid group of bookends being paid about 21 million next season. The interior line obviously has a gaping hole. The other two spots have emerging injury riddled parts that make it inconsistent. Overall I’d call our oline about a 6 out of 10 that could legitimately be a 7 with a healthy LDT and Morse for 16 games. We need to fill that other guard spot for real to hope for better than that.

Looking at our cap hits, I'd say the following should be worried(cap saved in parenthesis): 

Hali(9.5mil), Parker(7 mill), Sorensen(4.8 mill), Harris(2.3 mil), Zombo(1.3 mi)

Cutting those five would free up nearly 25 mill.  I think it would be very easy to find replacements for these five that would be the same or an upgrade for under 25 mill.  pretty sure we could upgrade Hali, parker, and Sorensen for considerably less than a 20 mill...

Looking at our cap hits, I'd say the following should be worried(cap saved in parenthesis): 

Hali(9.5mil), Parker(7 mill), Sorensen(4.8 mill), Harris(2.3 mil), Zombo(1.3 mi)

Cutting those five would free up nearly 25 mill.  I think it would be very easy to find replacements for these five that would be the same or an upgrade for under 25 mill.  pretty sure we could upgrade Hali, parker, and Sorensen for considerably less than a 20 mill...

This is inaccurate. Sorenson has a 3 million dollar dead cap number. Tamba has 1.7 million in dead money and Parker has 2 million. So thats nearly 7 million dollars less in cap savings than you are giving credit for eith those cuts.

Not sure if we have one of the better offenses in the NFL as we have failed against some very lame teams and against pretty much everyone when it matters. Offense is better when playing with a short field though but isn't really consistent throughout long drives. We do score by other means like defensive TDs or special teams but they are surely down this year. I think we have an average OL that's either decent or one dimensional based on the opposition but I don't think any of our linemen besides Schwartz is really giving opposition front 7 any nightmares. 

Not sure if we have one of the better offenses in the NFL as we have failed against some very lame teams and against pretty much everyone when it matters. Offense is better when playing with a short field though but isn't really consistent throughout long drives. We do score by other means like defensive TDs or special teams but they are surely down this year. I think we have an average OL that's either decent or one dimensional based on the opposition but I don't think any of our linemen besides Schwartz is really giving opposition front 7 any nightmares. 

I think this is an overly negative view tbh. The line helped us beat the two superbowl teams last season and also helped us over the line towards the end of the season. I don't think it was a coincidence that we struggled when LDT and Morse were injured. If we get a stuf left-guard then we'll have one of the best O-lines in the league imo. 

The worst stretch of the season (buffalo, Giants, Jets) were with LDT and Morse. I believe they returned in week 9 and we went on a 4 games losing streak. Not putting that all on them by any means, just pointing out that they better do more than be healthy.

I think our tackles are slightly above average. Everyone else are below. LDT and Morse are ok when healthy. Neither have blown me away or shown me potential for a Pro Bowl.

Witz and Ehinger seem like they can hold their own at times in pass protection, but very little running the ball. I think they both get pushed around a little and have missed some assignments. Maybe that is just being young and they grow out of it.

Fulton played well at center, I thought. I few miscues on the snap, but blocked well.

Erving can develop into a swing tackle I think. Definitely a project.

I like the idea of a stud LG being added, but that doesn’t get us where we need to be IMO. I need to see that LDT and Morse can stay healthy and show improvement.

Archived