Profootball focus article. Chiefs Free agency.

.https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-free-agency-preview-kansas-city-chiefs

/

2018 Free Agency Preview: Kansas City Chiefs
By Eric Eager • Feb 15, 2018
USATSI_10540148.jpg?w=916&h=720Jan 6, 2018; Kansas City, MO, USA; Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Albert Wilson (12) runs against the Tennessee Titans during the first half in the AFC Wild Card playoff football game at Arrowhead Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports What you need to know

For the first time in team history, the Chiefs won their second consecutive AFC West title in 2017, leveraging a 5-0 start to earn their fourth 10-win season in five campaigns under head coach Andy Reid.

Things were not exactly as auspicious as the above would suggest for Kansas City, though, as their defense finished last in our rating system, their special teams fell from a top-five unit to the middle of the pack in 2017, and their offense went through a mid-season stretch where they had a difficult time scoring in games versus mediocre defenses like Pittsburgh, Dallas, New York and Buffalo.

In what was a surprising early start to the offseason, the Chiefs addressed one of their biggest offseason questions, while simultaneously taking at least partial care of one of their most-sizable offseason needs. As the Patrick Mahomes era starts in Kansas City, and the Derrick Johnson one ends, we discuss the PFF view of their approach to free agency below:

IMG_14022018_123436_0.png

Salary cap room

$12,606,467 (with another $17M estimated after the Smith trade), 27th

Biggest Needs
  • Interior defender
  • Sub-package defensive backs
  • Edge defenders
  • Linebacker
Notable free agents Must re-sign

Albert Wilson, WR, 77.7 overall grade

Just a year after settling for a one-year, $1.797 million deal this past offseason, Wilson’s stock has substantially improved after hauling in a career-best-tying 42 regular season passes on just 56 targets. His 15 forced missed tackles on receptions during the regular season was tied for third among all wide receivers, and he was a plus player as a blocker in the running game as well. There is some risk here, as he is only one year removed from being one of the least productive slot players in the league (with only 0.60 slot receiving yards per route run in 2016) and the Chiefs are switching from the conservative Alex Smith to the seemingly-aggressive Mahomes. However, in Mahomes’ only 2017 start, he found Wilson 10 times on 11 targets for 147 yards (including 82 after the catch) against Denver.

Dream splash signing

Shaq Barrett, edge, Denver Broncos (RFA)

This would be a big get for the Chiefs, as they would be getting one of the Broncos’ best players at a position of significant need for Kansas City. While this indeed seems far-fetched, the Broncos are heavily-invested in Von Miller ($22.5 million cap number in 2018) and Shane Ray (a 2015 first-round pick) on the edge of the defense, and might need to spend the majority of their cap space (currently between $20 and $30 million dollars) to shore up the quarterback position in free agency.

Despite his relatively-humble pedigree, Barrett has been the second-best edge defender for Denver for quite some time, earning the 15th-best pass-rushing productivity (10.6) among 3-4 outside linebackers in 2017 and generating 42 total pressures. While former first-round pick Dee Ford is likely to remain in the fold in 2018, he was far less productive than Barrett in 2017, earning the 40th-best pass-rushing productivity before a season-ending injury limited him to 316 snaps.

[Editor’s note: Read more about the free agency class of 2018 with the first ever PFF Free Agency Guide, which dropped for all PFF Edge & Elite subscribers. Not a subscriber? Sign up today and receive your copy with detailed profiles, exclusive PFF stats and much more.]

2018 free agent prospects

Morgan Burnett, S, Green Bay Packers

The Chiefs played 2-3-6 dime defense on 43 percent of their defensive snaps this season, and have played a plurality of their snaps with six or more defensive backs for years now. While Burnett is a starting-caliber safety (of which the Chiefs already have two), questions abound over the health of Eric Berry (Achilles) and the recent play of Ron Parker (40.1 player grade), making this potential move a shrewd one.

Burnett filled a versatile role for the Packers a season ago, playing 339 of his 724 snaps in the box as a linebacker and another 244 lined up over the slot. Having Burnett in a trio with Berry and Parker would likely bring the best out of the latter two and lighten the load on third-year special teams star Eric Murray (44.4), a former cornerback who struggled when thrust into action in 2017.

Rashaan Melvin, CB, Indianapolis Colts

While the acquisition of Kendal Fuller is a welcomed (and long overdue) addition to the Chiefs cornerback room, it’s unlikely they will go into the 2018 season with the likes of Steven Nelson (76.8), and Terrance Mitchell (52.3, and pending free agency) competing for the right cornerback spot in their nickel and dime packages. Melvin, who excelled in the types of man coverages the Chiefs like to run, will be reasonably-priced commodity in a cornerback market full of more-popular names. He played only 552 snaps because of injury in 2017, but held opposing passers to a 60.3 rating when he was targeted, intercepting three passes and breaking up another 10. For a team that has had struggles against the run, the fact that Melvin missed zero tackles in 2017 would be a welcomed addition as well.

2018 free agency

I feel like I'm the only Chief fan that wants Wilson resigned. Not over pay for him of course but he was money on third downs and showed great talent with Mahomes.

I've always liked Albert and glad he had his breakout season last year.  That said, I hope he hits free agency and gets a decent contract elsewhere.   He's a nice player to get a comp pick for, and I like the younger, taller WR's on this team a lot and think they need to get chances in Albert's spot.   

I like pretty much all the list. Wilson improved significantly and could be very productive as long as the price is right. Didn't realize he had so high percentage in catches but obviously most throws from Smith were short range so the sample size isn't that big. 10 million over 3-4 years is something I can agree with. I didn't realize Shaq was a RFA and this is basically a must for the Chiefs IMO. Hopefully we can get rid of Ford in time and save the cap space but even if we cannot I think we should make an offer that will cripple the Broncos. Upgrade at Safety, namely Parker, is a must and the timing seems right for both parties as he can may be find a decent offer in FA while we save the cap space to spend on someone who can actually help out. Also I didn't know Melvin was so productive, could be an interesting pickup.

Maybe.  They need to get someone for Alex to throw to.  The cupboard is bare in Washington.

Don't know how the chemistry was between them but they could decide to pay Wilson to get a familiar guy in town. Docston was supposed to be a star but looks like a bust is more likely and the rest is just garbage. 

Don't know how the chemistry was between them but they could decide to pay Wilson to get a familiar guy in town. Docston was supposed to be a star but looks like a bust is more likely and the rest is just garbage.

He didn’t look like a bust against KC

Anyone who has a problem with catching the ball over his shoulder is gonna struggle with Pat in the long term imo. I'd rather draft a new slot receiver in the draft.

What? Wilson caught 10 passes on 11 targets in his only game playing with Mahomes. Wilson played on 28 snaps that game. 11 targets on 28 snaps. I don't see how you can make that comment with any certainty. This was against NO FLY ZONE.

What? Wilson caught 10 passes on 11 targets in his only game playing with Mahomes. Wilson played on 28 snaps that game. 11 targets on 28 snaps. I don't see how you can make that comment with any certainty. This was against NO FLY ZONE.

In a meaningless game at the end of the year. If you remember, Chase took backups into SD, with SD's playoff hopes on the line and won. Who from that game became a super star? Let's see these guys a starter required to perform day in and day out versus putting it all out on the line on one meaningless game.

In a meaningless game at the end of the year. If you remember, Chase took backups into SD, with SD's playoff hopes on the line and won. Who from that game became a super star? Let's see these guys a starter required to perform day in and day out versus putting it all out on the line on one meaningless game.

Actually It was a crap finish but Chase lost his lone start in SD with the backup team. Chargers went to the playoffs and actually won a game. He played with the starters in a must win for both teams at Arrowhead the next season and won (although we still didn’t make tbr playoffs). No much offense in that game but we sacked Rivers 7 or 8 times.

It was meaningless because it had no impact on the playoffs, but do you honestly think the pride of the Broncos defense was just going to let a rookie QB come in and show them up? Guess so since it was a meaningless game. Sorry but the Broncos defense is far better then the Chargers we've seen the last several years. Shitty comparison though.

It was meaningless because it had no impact on the playoffs, but do you honestly think the pride of the Broncos defense was just going to let a rookie QB come in and show them up? Guess so since it was a meaningless game. Sorry but the Broncos defense is far better then the Chargers we've seen the last several years. Shitty comparison though.

Go back and watch the Denver game, majority of their D starters were heading out of towm by the half.

Go back and watch the Denver game, majority of their D starters were heading out of towm by the half.

I will at some point. But regardless, we're talking about the #3 WR on a team lighting up another team. My post that you responded to was in response to mischiefmaker, and he commented that Wilson wouldn't be a good fit for Mahomes. I pointed out that in 1 game of evidence he was FACTUALLY wrong. The only argument you have is it was a meaningless game. That would be true if Wilson only performed in that one game, but all advanced statistics showed he was doing it all season. He was getting more separation in the slot than Tyreek Hill as the #1 WR.

I'm not saying Wilson is a bona fide stud. You all act like its easy to draft a WR. If that were the case why has it taking the Chiefs 5 years to find a #1 WR and 5 years to develop the compliment WRs?

With us signing Amerson at corner could we do something similar at offensive line? A young high draft pick with potential and hasn't quite lived up to it.

Greg Robinson

He was the second overall pick for the rams. I'd only 25 still. But instead of doing what the rams and lions did by playing him at LT, let's move him to LG. He's a physical run blocker. Could sign cheap. Comes into camp and battles with Ehinger and Witzmann

With us signing Amerson at corner could we do something similar at offensive line? A young high draft pick with potential and hasn't quite lived up to it.

Greg Robinson

He was the second overall pick for the rams. I'd only 25 still. But instead of doing what the rams and lions did by playing him at LT, let's move him to LG. He's a physical run blocker. Could sign cheap. Comes into camp and battles with Ehinger and Witzmann

I'm all for it. I know not all of these guys will pan out but at the right price you could find a stud or two.

Archived