News. Chiefs sign Oakland CB

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude was an stud in 2015 and 2016 with 109 INDIVIDUAL tackles and 41 passed defended. Got hurt last year, and caught in the cap crunch. There's a reason they signed him to that big deal after 2016. Its because he was one of the better young corners in the league the 2 seasons prior. I absolutely love this signing, I only wish it wasn't just for 1 year. But the guy is only 26, so he's hoping to play well in 2018 and get another big contract, so I get it.

* SIDE NOTE* I owe Mischief maker an apology. It appears the Chiefs did view Fuller as a slot guy and still have CB as a priority.

Dude was an stud in 2015 and 2016 with 109 INDIVIDUAL tackles and 41 passed defended. Got hurt last year, and caught in the cap crunch. There's a reason they signed him to that big deal after 2016. Its because he was one of the better young corners in the league the 2 seasons prior. I absolutely love this signing, I only wish it wasn't just for 1 year. But the guy is only 26, so he's hoping to play well in 2018 and get another big contract, so I get it.

* SIDE NOTE* I owe Mischief maker an apology. It appears the Chiefs did view Fuller as a slot guy and still have CB as a priority.

Also have have to think with this money added to our cap, it may be even more likely that Bailey and/or Parker and/or Sorenson are on the chopping block. 

Interesting player.   Very Terrence Mitchell like, with extreme peaks and valleys.   Hope that doesn't mean no Mitchell.  Depends on the size of the contract, and any guaranteed money, whether it's a good deal or not.   I've heard anywhere from 2.25 Million to 6 Million.   Even the bottom figure is too high if alot of it is guaranteed.  

2.25 base salary with escalators so if he plays well could be up to 6.

Big guy with ballhawk skills. Injuries killed him last year but he's had some really good seasons in the pros and college. 13 ints in 1 year in college.

This is a low downside signing. 1 year prove it contract. I think he's probably veteran depth not so i wouldn't pencil him in as the starter just yet. I could see Fuller starting outside still, then kicking inside in nickel and dime. This would give us a good option outside in nickel/dime if he does well.

Interesting player.   Very Terrence Mitchell like, with extreme peaks and valleys.   Hope that doesn't mean no Mitchell.  Depends on the size of the contract, and any guaranteed money, whether it's a good deal or not.   I've heard anywhere from 2.25 Million to 6 Million.   Even the bottom figure is too high if alot of it is guaranteed.  

6 million dollars is too high for a starting corner? Or do you mean it's too high if he ends up just being depth?

Talk about peaks and valleys.   QB's had almost a perfect rating against him in 2014.   That's hard to imagine.   

David Amerson, CB, Oakland Raiders

Amerson was the Redskins’ second-round pick in 2013, and saw the field in every game during his rookie season. He struggled with consistency throughout the year, and finished with a relatively low coverage grade, which placed him 92nd out of 110 cornerbacks. Last season his coverage grade dropped even further, and he slid all the way down to 106th at his position. Amerson was released after Week 1 this season, and was subsequently picked up by the Raiders, where he’s been a completely different player ever since.

The former NC State standout posted a positive production grade in 2015, despite being targeted 104 times (sixth-most among NFL CBs). On those targets, he allowed just 58 completions and one touchdown. He tied for fifth overall with 13 passes defensed, and also picked off four passes. Last season, he allowed more completions (61) on fewer targets (91), and an NFL-high 10 touchdowns when targeted. Quarterbacks had a 140.2 rating when targeting Amerson in 2014; this season, that number has dropped to 62.7. His improvements have brought him up to an 83.4 overall grade, good for 15th out of all cornerbacks this season.

6 million dollars is too high for a starting corner? Or do you mean it's too high if he ends up just being depth?

I wouldn't pay 6 million(or even 2.25 million) to Mitchell, I certainly wouldn't pay it to Amerson.   That said, it depends on his contract.   If it's 6 million if he makes all pro, wins Super Bowl MVP, etc, and he does that, then it's a good deal.   But Amerson is as much of an up and down player as there's been in the NFL in the last few years, so I hope there's no guaranteed money, if the 2014 Amerson shows up.  

All in all, I like Mitchell better, but I also know Mitchell better.  

I wouldn't pay 6 million(or even 2.25 million) to Mitchell, I certainly wouldn't pay it to Amerson.   That said, it depends on his contract.   If it's 6 million if he makes all pro, wins Super Bowl MVP, etc, and he does that, then it's a good deal.   But Amerson is as much of an up and down player as there's been in the NFL in the last few years, so I hope there's no guaranteed money, if the 2014 Amerson shows up.  

All in all, I like Mitchell better, but I also know Mitchell better.  

Well he was good to very good in 2015 and 2016. And he had more passes defended in 2015 than Mitchell has had in his entire career. The idea that you wouldn't pay him 2.25 million is pretty ridiculous. I don't know what kind of player you expect to get for 2.25 million dollars that has more upside than this.

If Dorsey were our GM this guy would have gotten 5 years and 60 million dollars and you would have been singing his praises. You are the most jaded smart person I've ever interacted with when it comes to football. I like Terrance Mitchell too, but I think that the Chiefs having prioritized CB this much so far this offseason has told you about their level of confidence in Mitchell going forward.

Ranked as leagues 21st best corner in 2015. PFF 16th overall in 2016. He’s a big corner in the Sean Smith mold that really fits Sutton’s system and we’ve really missed. . Breakdown below is pretty good. I’d draft a corner with one of the third rounders and we could have a rebuilt young group that quickly.

MCoverage

68/75

David Amerson became a different player after going to Oakland from Washington in Week 3. He played faster, showing off comfort and confidence in his assignments. The 6'1" Amerson relies heavily on his length and ball skills to win at the catch point. He had 14 pass breakups as he routinely put himself in position to read the ball's flight and aggressively attack it in the air.

Run Defense

6/10

Amerson is a physical, intense run defender who won’t consistently set the edge. He instead takes risks in search of penetration. He will create space for running backs to attack while also disrupting the design of outside runs.

Tackling

2/5

Amerson missed one tackle for every 100 snaps he played. He needs to show greater consistency with his technique but has the physical tools to be an efficient tackler both in space and in tight situations against bigger backs.

Position Value

9/9

Overall

85/99

Interesting player. Very Terrence Mitchell like, with extreme peaks and valleys. Hope that doesn't mean no Mitchell. Depends on the size of the contract, and any guaranteed money, whether it's a good deal or not. I've heard anywhere from 2.25 Million to 6 Million. Even the bottom figure is too high if alot of it is guaranteed.

$2.25 million would currently make him the 50th highest paid corner which is nothing by any stretch of the imagination, especially with Everyone else on rookie

Contracts.

Well he was good to very good in 2015 and 2016. And he had more passes defended in 2015 than Mitchell has had in his entire career. The idea that you wouldn't pay him 2.25 million is pretty ridiculous. I don't know what kind of player you expect to get for 2.25 million dollars that has more upside than this.

If Dorsey were our GM this guy would have gotten 5 years and 60 million dollars and you would have been singing his praises. You are the most jaded smart person I've ever interacted with when it comes to football. I like Terrance Mitchell too, but I think that the Chiefs having prioritized CB this much so far this offseason has told you about their level of confidence in Mitchell going forward.

Absolutely ridiculous, since I freely criticize some of Dorsey's contracts, but you already know that.  He was HORRIBLE in 2014, and 2017.  He'a a vet minimum type of player, maybe up to about 1.5 million, and if he signed for 2.25 million or 6 Million for Dorsey, I'd say the same exact thing.  Yes he has upside.   So does Mitchell, or even Gaines.   

It ALL depends on the guaranteed money, if any, whether this is a good deal or not.  

I'd laugh at Oakland, or anyone else, that signs Mitchell to a 6 million contract.   

We just got one for less than that, Kendall Fuller. 

Absolutely ridiculous, since I freely criticize some of Dorsey's contracts, but you already know that. He was HORRIBLE in 2014, and 2017. He'a a vet minimum type of player, maybe up to about 1.5 million, and if he signed for 2.25 million or 6 Million for Dorsey, I'd say the same exact thing. Yes he has upside. So does Mitchell, or even Gaines.

It ALL depends on the guaranteed money, if any, whether this is a good deal or not.

I'd laugh at Oakland, or anyone else, that signs Mitchell to a 6 million contract.

Gaines has -7 upside. He’s the worst corner in the entire league.

Gaines has -7 upside. He’s the worst corner in the entire league.

Before he got hurt, he was a great young CB, with tons of upside.  Things change.   I don't know for sure, but someone on the Oakland Board said Amerson was the worst rated CB in the NFL in 2017.  He was close to that for Wash in 2014.   

If Oakland signed Gaines, homers on their message boards could rightfully say Gaines has upside.  

I understand homers want to only look at the good of a player that they acquire.  And the bad of the players they lose.   I strive to be be better than that.  

Before he got hurt, he was a great young CB, with tons of upside. Things change. I don't know for sure, but someone on the Oakland Board said Amerson was the worst rated CB in the NFL in 2017. He was close to that for Wash in 2014.

If Oakland signed Gaines, homers on their message boards could rightfully say Gaines has upside.

I understand homers want to only look at the good of a player that they acquire. And the bad of the players they lose. I strive to be be better than that.

I’m not on the Amerson train FYI. And I would not say Gaines was ever great.

Absolutely ridiculous, since I freely criticize some of Dorsey's contracts, but you already know that.  He was HORRIBLE in 2014, and 2017.  He'a a vet minimum type of player, maybe up to about 1.5 million, and if he signed for 2.25 million or 6 Million for Dorsey, I'd say the same exact thing.  Yes he has upside.   So does Mitchell, or even Gaines.   

Yeah this isn't a vet minimum type player. At all. Clearly our front office agrees. Revis may have been, but this dude is 26.

Yeah this isn't a vet minimum type player. At all. Clearly our front office agrees. Revis may have been, but this dude is 26.

Our Front office is a pretty unknown quantity at this point.  Ups and downs.   Like Amerson and Mitchell.

I hope Amerson is a HR, or at least an extra base hit, like Ragland and Butker are, and not a Golden Sombrero, like Revis and Mauga were.   

If 2015-2016 Amerson shows up, he's worth more that my value.  Way more.   If 2013, 2014, 2107 Amerson shows up, he's not even an NFL vet minimum player.  No one knows, and that's why I hope there's little to no guaranteed $$$$.   If the guarantee is zero, I praise this deal.  If it's 2.25 million, that's way too much.  

Before he got hurt, he was a great young CB, with tons of upside. Things change. I don't know for sure, but someone on the Oakland Board said Amerson was the worst rated CB in the NFL in 2017. He was close to that for Wash in 2014.

I understand homers want to only look at the good of a player that they acquire. And the bad of the players they lose. I strive to be be better than that.

He had a bad foot injury early last season and ended up missing 9 games.

He was very good in 2016. This is a good low risk deal. The Chiefs are not paying him anything unless he plays great this year, in which case he will be worth every bit of the $6 million he would have earned.

Archived