News. Chiefs sign Oakland CB

Even in College, Amerson was woefully inconsistent.   Great, great highs, extreme, ridiculous lows.   Hopefully Thomas and Harris Coach the crap out of him and get him to focus:

CB DAVID AMERSON N.C. STATE  ACC
2540170.jpg

fb-like.png
share-button.png

WAS-away-130x115.png
DRAFTED BY: REDSKINS
  • ROUND2
  •  
  • PICK19
  •  
  • OVERALL51
 View Prospects By Name By Position By College By Grade 
COMBINE RESULTS GRADE 74.4?
  • 4.44 SEC
  • 15 REPS
  • 35.5 INCH
  • 127.0 INCH
DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"They're beat up on the back, and this kid's a first-year talent. He's a boom-or-bust candidate." -- Mike Mayock

• 6'1"HEIGHT
  • 32 5/8"ARM LENGTH
  • 205LBS.WEIGHT
  • 10 1/2"HANDS
OVERVIEW

The Jack Tatum Award given to the nation's best defensive back has been awarded to several players who became first round picks since its inception in 1991. But even star cornerbacks like Terrell Buckley, Charles Woodson, and Patrick Peterson and talented safeties such as Roy Williams, the late Sean Taylor, and Eric Berry didn't match Amerson's turnover production in 2011.

In 2011, Amerson recorded 13 interceptions, which tied for second-most in NCAA history (Al Worley from Washington set the record with 14 picks in 1968), earning him first-team All-ACC and Walter Camp All-American honors, along with the coveted Jack Tatum award, which is given to the nation's best defensive back. The team's Belk Bowl 31-24 win over Louisville was among the four contests in which he intercepted two passes; his 65-yard touchdown after one of those picks in the third quarter turned out to be the difference in the game. This explosion in turnovers came just one year after he started nine games as a true freshman, but had no interceptions and only one pass break-up. However, Amerson's junior season told a different story. Amerson still recorded five interceptions, and broke up 12 passes, but was beaten for long touchdowns on far too many occasions. His low point of the season was against the University of Miami, in which the Wolfpack lost 44-37. Amerson was beaten for four passing touchdowns, and a fifth touchdown occurred when a receiver ran into his zone.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS  Possesses size, physicality and athleticism to be a starting NFL defensive back. Very confident, attacks aggressively down hill, both in jumping routes, and in defending the run. Receiver-like ball skills allow him to high-point passes on jump balls and make quarterbacks pay for trying to fit a ball between levels of zone coverage. Also adjusts well to low and wide throws despite his size. Flashes agility. Will pop receivers to dislodge the ball and running backs coming to his side of the field. Wrap-up tackler, closes quickly to the ball when attacking receivers in off-coverage and against east-west runs. Works through receiver blocks in the run game with strong hands and quickness.

WEAKNESSES  Some teams will project him to safety unless he proves hip flexibility, agility, and speed in workouts. Backpedal will be tested by quicker receivers eating up his cushion at the next level. Takes time to transition forward from pedal, comes out of his breaks a bit slow. Can be deceived by double moves. Doesn't display run assignment integrity. Plays a lot of off-coverage and zone, needs experience in the man and press coverages in which he should excel given his physical ability.

NFL COMPARISON  Sean Smith  :D

BOTTOM LINE  Amerson is one of the more interesting prospects in the draft. His play making and ball skills are reminiscent of Asante Samuel. However, unlike Samuel, Amerson isn't nearly as fluid out of his breaks or as technically sound in the fundamentals of the position. Amerisont is tall, physical, and some may project him to free safety because of his size, but it is likely that some team will take a chance on Amerson as a cornerback if he can prove that his foot quickness and fluidity are up to par.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was hurt in game 7 against us, but was never placed on IR, and even started practicing late in the season.  But never played.  Weird situation:

Raiders cut CB David Amerson
Feb 5, 2018
Paul Gutierrez
ESPN Staff Writer

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders released veteran cornerback David Amerson on Monday, saving some $6 million against the salary cap with no dead money involved.

Amerson, 26, played in just six games (all starts) last season and missed the final eight because of a foot injury. He made 33 starts in all for the Raiders in three seasons, intercepting six passes with 46 passes defensed.

He had signed a four-year contract extension before the 2016 season. Amerson's $5.5 million base salary for 2018 would have become guaranteed if he were on the team's roster Wednesday.

Monday was the first day teams could begin releasing veterans ahead of the 2018 season.

David Amerson's $5.5 million base salary for 2018 would have become guaranteed if he were on the team's roster Wednesday. Photo by Greg McWilliams/Icon Sportswire
A prime candidate to be cut this offseason, Amerson was asked before the season finale if he expected to return to Oakland in 2018.

"I don't know, man," Amerson told ESPN on Dec. 27. "You never know with this league. You never know. It's all about: What have you done for me lately?"

And with how poorly his season went in Oakland?

"That's what I'm saying," he said.

Still, Amerson, a former second-round pick of Washington who was claimed off waivers by the Raiders in 2015, hoped to return.

But after missing two total games in his first three NFL seasons, concussion, shoulder and foot injuries wreaked havoc with his 2017 campaign. In fact, it was against the Kansas City Chiefs on Oct. 19 when Amerson was in the locker room, getting his upper body checked out by team staff, that he noticed his lower body was hurting.

"Right before halftime, they were shooting up my shoulder and I told the trainers, 'Yo, something's wrong with my foot,'" Amerson recalled. "It felt like a burning sensation and it felt weak."

Amerson would not take the field again.

And while he said he was not diagnosed with a Lisfranc fracture, nor could he recall a specific play in which the foot was injured, Amerson said he did have ligament damage.

"It couldn't take the impact," Amerson said. "I couldn't push or cut."

Per Pro Football Focus, Amerson allowed a 156.3 passer rating, ranking last in the NFL among 159 cornerbacks with at least 40 coverage snaps.

More context to how bad his 2017 season actually was:

#Raiders release David Amerson. QBs targeting Amerson this year completed 23 of 31 for 391, 4 TDs, 155.6 rating. That was highest rating vs any defender w/ 20+ targets per @SportradarUS

Signing the worst CB in the NFL in 2017  to a 2.25 million dollar downside guarantee contract doesn't seem like such a good deal to me.  Vet minimum downside guarantee would seem more fitting.   If we signed guys who were better in 2017, Gaines, or Mitchell, or Acker, to that contract, I doubt too many Chief fans would think it's a good deal.  He's now our highest paid CB.   That's absurd.  

Gaines, Mitchell and Acker were all healthy and terrible.   At least Amerson has an excuse that he was injured.  He might be a bust but again, we are out 2 million and that is worse case scenario.   I'm sure he will bounce back and provide solid depth and there is always the possibility he plays well.   We don't need Deion Sanders we need an upgrade over last year and if you want to cherry pick his first and this last year to nitpick thats fine.  But comparing him to Mitchell, Gaines and Acker who have never put together even one solid season let alone two is crazy.   

I wouldn't consider him to be the solid fix but when healthy he was a pretty good player. Definitely inconsistent but good times outweigh the bad. Health was a major concern so I'm guessing the doctors did their thing. I understand the expectation of the vet minimum but he's still at a prime age and I guess the staff thought they would put some over it just to ensure the signing. 2017 was terrible for him but he's still young enough to bounce back and that's probably what Veach is hoping for.

Signing the worst CB in the NFL in 2017 to a 2.25 million dollar downside guarantee contract doesn't seem like such a good deal to me. Vet minimum downside guarantee would seem more fitting. If we signed guys who were better in 2017, Gaines, or Mitchell, or Acker, to that contract, I doubt too many Chief fans would think it's a good deal. He's now our highest paid CB. That's absurd.

Gaines was the worst db in the nfl last year.

Gaines, Mitchell and Acker were all healthy and terrible.   At least Amerson has an excuse that he was injured.  He might be a bust but again, we are out 2 million and that is worse case scenario.   I'm sure he will bounce back and provide solid depth and there is always the possibility he plays well.   We don't need Deion Sanders we need an upgrade over last year and if you want to cherry pick his first and this last year to nitpick thats fine.  But comparing him to Mitchell, Gaines and Acker who have never put together even one solid season let alone two is crazy.   

Cherry Pick?   He's had 3 bad seasons, and 2 good ones.   And even within one of his good ones, he was cut by the team that drafted him in the 2nd round, 2 years after they did so, the very definition of a bust.  The Mitchell comparison is very appropriate.   Extreme highs and lows.  I'd rather have Mitchell at vet minimum, than Amerson at bottom 2.25 million.  If we don't resign Mitchell because of this, I'll be disappointed.  

Gaines was the worst db in the nfl last year.

Was he?   Can you please post the stats against him that would prove that?   Amerson's stats were almost a perfect QB rating against, and he was rated as the worst CB.   And Gaines, if he signs anywhere, isn't getting any more than Vet minimum, unlike Amerson.  Suffice to say they were both horrid.  Only one is signing for over 2 million.   If Gaines, Mitchell, or Acker are signed for anywhere near 2 million, anywhere, I'll laugh my ass off.  Like Raider fans are doing to us.   

Cherry Pick?   He's had 3 bad seasons, and 2 good ones.   And even within one of his good ones, he was cut by the team that drafted him in the 2nd round, 2 years after they did so, the very definition of a bust.  The Mitchell comparison is very appropriate.   Extreme highs and lows.  I'd rather have Mitchell at vet minimum, than Amerson at bottom 2.25 million.  If we don't resign Mitchell because of this, I'll be disappointed.  

That's the definition of a bust? A front office and personnel department that is an NFL laughingstock cutting a player and then watching him perform very well over the next 2 seasons is the definition of a bust? Do you ever notice that when you start complaining about these moves that have a minimal affect against our cap you are nearly the only one arguing against said moves? The cap next year is going to be over 170 million and he is making slightly over 2.

This is a low risk move for less than 2.3 million dollars. He is 26 and less than a full year from grading out as a top 20 corner in the NFL. The stats you keep referencing are from 2017 when you KNOW the sample size was small and you KNOW that he was injured, yet that's your "go to" argument. This is why some would say you cherry pick. I bet you are a lawyer.

Why in the hell would Raiders fans be laughing at us for making a move that cost us less than 2.3 million dollars on a ONE YEAR deal?  They are the ones that paid him 8.5 million last year and got nothing out of him right? They also watched the same guy that we just signed for a very low base salary shut down receivers there for nearly 2 seasons not long ago.

I would laugh my ass of if Phillip Gaines was signed for 2 million dollars somewhere too. But Phillip Gaines has never played close to the level Amerson did in 2015 and 2016. He defended 25 passes in 2015. That's an incredible number man. Phillip Gaines probably has car keys bounce off his face when his wife tosses them across the kitchen.

Dude was an stud in 2015 and 2016 with 109 INDIVIDUAL tackles and 41 passed defended. Got hurt last year, and caught in the cap crunch. There's a reason they signed him to that big deal after 2016. Its because he was one of the better young corners in the league the 2 seasons prior. I absolutely love this signing, I only wish it wasn't just for 1 year. But the guy is only 26, so he's hoping to play well in 2018 and get another big contract, so I get it.

* SIDE NOTE* I owe Mischief maker an apology. It appears the Chiefs did view Fuller as a slot guy and still have CB as a priority.

Thanks bro!!!..i appreciate it :D

As for King Veach!!!..HOW CAN WE NOT LOVE THIS GUY? Dude is a stud!!!.

That's the definition of a bust? A front office and personnel department that is an NFL laughingstock cutting a player and then watching him perform very well over the next 2 seasons is the definition of a bust? Do you ever notice that when you start complaining about these moves that have a minimal affect against our cap you are nearly the only one arguing against said moves? The cap next year is going to be over 170 million and he is making slightly over 2.

This is a low risk move for less than 2.3 million dollars. He is 26 and less than a full year from grading out as a top 20 corner in the NFL. The stats you keep referencing are from 2017 when you KNOW the sample size was small and you KNOW that he was injured, yet that's your "go to" argument. This is why some would say you cherry pick. I bet you are a lawyer.

Why in the hell would Raiders fans be laughing at us for making a move that cost us less than 2.3 million dollars on a ONE YEAR deal?  They are the ones that paid him 8.5 million last year and got nothing out of him right? They also watched the same guy that we just signed for a very low base salary shut down receivers there for nearly 2 seasons not long ago.

I would laugh my ass of if Phillip Gaines was signed for 2 million dollars somewhere too. But Phillip Gaines has never played close to the level Amerson did in 2015 and 2016. He defended 25 passes in 2015. That's an incredible number man. Phillip Gaines probably has car keys bounce off his face when his wife tosses them across the kitchen.

Calling me a lawyer is a bigger insult than your other inaccurate nonsense dude.   I should report you for name calling.  :D .   

Because I'm about the only one (here), that's not slobbering over this move, that automatically means it's a good move?   Sorry, but fan popularity of a move doesn't mean it's a good move.  

Cherry picking is picking the years you like, and ignoring the years you don't.   Like some here have done for Fuller, when they ignore 2016, and only talk about the most recent year.   Which is fair, and exactly the same standard should apply for Amerson. 

I'm referencing all 5 of Amerson's years.   Sucked in 3, good in 2.  Sucked in the most recent sample we have, as the worst CB in the NFL, with enough snaps to qualify.  He wasn't hurt when he was playing, AFAIK.   He missed one game due to a concussion, prior to the 9 he didn't play at all because of his foot/shoulder.  He seems to have hurt his foot in the Chief game, the last game he played, so saying he played 2017 injured isn't really accurate.  He sat out when he was injured.  

The 2.25 million is the issue for me.   It's too high for this player.   Mitchell for Vet Minimum vs this contract for Amerson is an easy decision for me, If this move costs us Mitchell resigning, I'll be pissed.  If we signed Amerson for Vet minimum, with no guarantees,  + incentives, I would be fine with it.  If this contract has no guarantees, and he's an easy cut, I'll be fine with it.   Until we know, I'm very mixed about it.  

I've liked Amerson from afar, not knowing that much about him other then he was a high draft choice who busted out at Wash, and played well when claimed by Oakland.   I knew he pick 6ed Alex's butt.  I also knew we torched him badly last year.   Now I'm finding out everyone else did also.  Now that he's a Chief, and I'm researching the dude, I'm finding out more stuff, and a lot of it isn't good.  

Calling me a lawyer is a bigger insult than your other inaccurate nonsense dude.   I should report you for name calling.  :D .   

Because I'm about the only one (here), that's not slobbering over this move, that automatically means it's a good move?   Sorry, but fan popularity of a move doesn't mean it's a good move.  

Cherry picking is picking the years you like, and ignoring the years you don't.   Like some here have done for Fuller, when they ignore 2016, and only talk about the most recent year.   Which is fair, and exactly the same standard should apply for Amerson. 

I'm referencing all 5 of Amerson's years.   Sucked in 3, good in 2.  Sucked in the most recent sample we have, as the worst CB in the NFL, with enough snaps to qualify.  He wasn't hurt when he was playing, AFAIK.   He missed one game due to a concussion, prior to the 9 he didn't play at all because of his foot/shoulder.  He seems to have hurt his foot in the Chief game, the last game he played, so saying he played 2017 injured isn't really accurate.  He sat out when he was injured.  

The 2.25 million is the issue for me.   It's too high for this player.   Mitchell for Vet Minimum vs this contract for Amerson is an easy decision for me, If this move costs us Mitchell resigning, I'll be pissed.  If we signed Amerson for Vet minimum, with no guarantees,  + incentives, I would be fine with it.  If this contract has no guarantees, and he's an easy cut, I'll be fine with it.   Until we know, I'm very mixed about it.  

I've liked Amerson from afar, not knowing that much about him other then he was a high draft choice who busted out at Wash, and played well when claimed by Oakland.   I knew he pick 6ed Alex's butt.  I also knew we torched him badly last year.   Now I'm finding out everyone else did also.  Now that he's a Chief, and I'm researching the dude, I'm finding out more stuff, and a lot of it isn't good.  

I guess. I mean the amount you are unhappy with is the part of the contract that I am MOST happy with. It just seems like we got a guy with real upside in his prime years for dirt cheap. Why are you so sure that Mitchell can be had for the vet minimum?

Didn't look at the full argument but if Mitchell can be had for the vet minimum I'm pretty sure Veach will keep him for that much and let him compete for a roster spot. Chiefs will already pile up on vets for the minimum deal for camp. If you think Mitchell would be had for the same amount or may be a little cheaper that's another story. At the height of their short careers I prefer Amerson but don't know if he'll get back to those days but I'm guessing the staff did their homework on the low risk high reward guy. If they paid him a mid range veteran money, it would be another story but this is just above the vet minimum and basically doesn't hinder any FA plans for the Chiefs.

2017 came after 2015 and 2016, in case you lost your math skills. Nothing to fish for, when Facts are presented. If Dorsey signed this guy to this contract, I'd have the same exact complaints, apprehensions, and hopes. Like I did when Dorsey signed Soerensen to his. Or Fanaika to his, etc. But you keep fishing to try and portray me as being 100% Pro Dorsey, and 100% anti Veach. It's pretty funny, and unbecoming of someone who has complimented my objectivity in the past. My objectivity hasn't changed, and never will. So what has?

What do you not get about this guy being hurt last year?

He had a severe shoulder injury followed by a torn ligament in his foot. You can’t play corner well in those circumstances.

<p><p>

Even in College, Amerson was woefully inconsistent. Great, great highs, extreme, ridiculous lows. Hopefully Thomas and Harris Coach the crap out of him and get him to focus:

CB DAVID AMERSON N.C. STATE ACC

2540170.jpg

fb-like.png

share-button.png

WAS-away-130x115.png

DRAFTED BY: REDSKINS

• ROUND2
  • PICK19
  • OVERALL51

View Prospects By Name By Position By College By Grade

COMBINE RESULTS GRADE

?
  • 4.44 SEC
  • 15 REPS
  • 35.5 INCH
  • 127.0 INCH

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"They're beat up on the back, and this kid's a first-year talent. He's a boom-or-bust candidate." -- Mike Mayock

• 6'1"HEIGHT
  • 32 5/8"ARM LENGTH
  • 205LBS.WEIGHT
  • 10 1/2"HANDS

OVERVIEW

The Jack Tatum Award given to the nation's best defensive back has been awarded to several players who became first round picks since its inception in 1991. But even star cornerbacks like Terrell Buckley, Charles Woodson, and Patrick Peterson and talented safeties such as Roy Williams, the late Sean Taylor, and Eric Berry didn't match Amerson's turnover production in 2011.

In 2011, Amerson recorded 13 interceptions, which tied for second-most in NCAA history (Al Worley from Washington set the record with 14 picks in 1968), earning him first-team All-ACC and Walter Camp All-American honors, along with the coveted Jack Tatum award, which is given to the nation's best defensive back. The team's Belk Bowl 31-24 win over Louisville was among the four contests in which he intercepted two passes; his 65-yard touchdown after one of those picks in the third quarter turned out to be the difference in the game. This explosion in turnovers came just one year after he started nine games as a true freshman, but had no interceptions and only one pass break-up. However, Amerson's junior season told a different story. Amerson still recorded five interceptions, and broke up 12 passes, but was beaten for long touchdowns on far too many occasions. His low point of the season was against the University of Miami, in which the Wolfpack lost 44-37. Amerson was beaten for four passing touchdowns, and a fifth touchdown occurred when a receiver ran into his zone.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Possesses size, physicality and athleticism to be a starting NFL defensive back. Very confident, attacks aggressively down hill, both in jumping routes, and in defending the run. Receiver-like ball skills allow him to high-point passes on jump balls and make quarterbacks pay for trying to fit a ball between levels of zone coverage. Also adjusts well to low and wide throws despite his size. Flashes agility. Will pop receivers to dislodge the ball and running backs coming to his side of the field. Wrap-up tackler, closes quickly to the ball when attacking receivers in off-coverage and against east-west runs. Works through receiver blocks in the run game with strong hands and quickness.

WEAKNESSES Some teams will project him to safety unless he proves hip flexibility, agility, and speed in workouts. Backpedal will be tested by quicker receivers eating up his cushion at the next level. Takes time to transition forward from pedal, comes out of his breaks a bit slow. Can be deceived by double moves. Doesn't display run assignment integrity. Plays a lot of off-coverage and zone, needs experience in the man and press coverages in which he should excel given his physical ability.

NFL COMPARISON Sean Smith :D

BOTTOM LINE Amerson is one of the more interesting prospects in the draft. His play making and ball skills are reminiscent of Asante Samuel. However, unlike Samuel, Amerson isn't nearly as fluid out of his breaks or as technically sound in the fundamentals of the position. Amerisont is tall, physical, and some may project him to free safety because of his size, but it is likely that some team will take a chance on Amerson as a cornerback if he can prove that his foot quickness and fluidity are up to par.

m

Best defensive back in America and an absolute ball hawk. More INTs than Berry. Are you kidding me. But his skills are very similiar to S Smith who didn’t have great cover skills but did a great job of using his size to ride WRs off route and into sideline. He does indeed have some real free safety type skills as well. Type of guy that needs the right system. I’ll bet the Raiders release S Smith as well by the way. Also foot injuries are tricky and can linger.

Was he? Can you please post the stats against him that would prove that? Amerson's stats were almost a perfect QB rating against, and he was rated as the worst CB. And Gaines, if he signs anywhere, isn't getting any more than Vet minimum, unlike Amerson. Suffice to say they were both horrid. Only one is signing for over 2 million. If Gaines, Mitchell, or Acker are signed for anywhere near 2 million, anywhere, I'll laugh my ass off. Like Raider fans are doing to us.

Gaines may not be on a team this year. As for the stats, Ill look. But amerson has a reason. He was hurt. Gaines just sucks.

This signing is unbelievably similar to the Tyvon Branch signing in 2015. Almost eerie how similar,with the injury and even the contract. Del Rios first move was to release Branch.

Read below. Might as well just replace Branch with Amerson and resubmit the same story.

Branch, a fourth-round pick out of Connecticut in 2008, was given the franchise tag in 2012, in Reggie McKenzie's first year as the team's general manager. That summer, Branch signed a four-year deal worth $26.6 million, with $17.6 million in guaranteed money.

However, injuries curtailed Branch's production. He finished all three seasons since signing the extension injured. He was relegated to a total of five games the past two seasons due to injury. Branch, 28, was put on injured reserve in September after breaking his foot in Week 3 at New England.

Chiefs signed him a week later on a 1 year, 2.1 million dollar contract with 2.5 more in incentives. Deja Vu

I like it. See what he can do when healthy, maybe he moves to safety allowing us to release Parker? Fuller goes to RCB and Nelson is slot or we draft a RCB? To get a guy to be prove it deal for one year he will be motivated and for just 2 million is a deal. Then if not signed after the 1 year, and he does well, we could look at resigning him or getting a comp pick. So many options for a deal that only cost us 2 million on a young player.

So If we do the maths, our CB group could be Peters, Fuller, Nelson, Amerson and another new guy. Plus we may add in one of the guys from the practice squad too for extra depth. All depends on who the other new guy is though. If it's one of the studs in the draft or Kyle Fuller then surely we'd have one of the best CB groups in the league? Peters and Fuller are already top-level players in their respective positions so adding another would be brilliant.

So If we do the maths, our CB group could be Peters, Fuller, Nelson, Amerson and another new guy. Plus we may add in one of the guys from the practice squad too for extra depth. All depends on who the other new guy is though. If it's one of the studs in the draft or Kyle Fuller then surely we'd have one of the best CB groups in the league? Peters and Fuller are already top-level players in their respective positions so adding another would be brilliant.

I think Ashton Lampkin will be one of our corners. He was an UDRFA last year that was getting first team reps in camp before knee injury.

Archived