News. Chiefs sign Oakland CB

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you not get about this guy being hurt last year?

He had a severe shoulder injury followed by a torn ligament in his foot. You can’t play corner well in those circumstances.

What I don't get is that he PLAYED hurt.    There's little evidence he did.   When he was hurt, he didn't play.  Was he playing hurt in 2013 and 2014 when he sucked also?   But if you need an excuse to wave away his pathetically bad play, and justify a contract triple vet minimum as it's base, sure, go with that.  

This signing is unbelievably similar to the Tyvon Branch signing in 2015. Almost eerie how similar,with the injury and even the contract. Del Rios first move was to release Branch.

Read below. Might as well just replace Branch with Amerson and resubmit the same story.

Branch, a fourth-round pick out of Connecticut in 2008, was given the franchise tag in 2012, in Reggie McKenzie's first year as the team's general manager. That summer, Branch signed a four-year deal worth $26.6 million, with $17.6 million in guaranteed money.

However, injuries curtailed Branch's production. He finished all three seasons since signing the extension injured. He was relegated to a total of five games the past two seasons due to injury. Branch, 28, was put on injured reserve in September after breaking his foot in Week 3 at New England.

Chiefs signed him a week later on a 1 year, 2.1 million dollar contract with 2.5 more in incentives. Deja Vu

Branch was great for us.   If Amerson can be anywhere near as good, this will be a good deal.   The big difference is that Branch never sucked.  Amerson has.  

Branch was great for us. If Amerson can be anywhere near as good, this will be a good deal. The big difference is that Branch never sucked. Amerson has.

To be fair, Branch was injury riddled in Oakland. And kind of apples to oranges comparing a CB and Safety for "sucking". There's a reason they let him walk...

What I don't get is that he PLAYED hurt. There's little evidence he did. When he was hurt, he didn't play. Was he playing hurt in 2013 and 2014 when he sucked also? But if you need an excuse to wave away his pathetically bad play, and justify a contract triple vet minimum as it's base, sure, go with that.

And he was good enough in 2015 for the Raiders to give him a big money extension.

I have to laugh at anyone claiming $2.25 million is a lot since he would be the 50th highest paid corner unless he balls out and makes his incentives.

Kinda like how you had a nervous breakdown over paying Revis $353k last year, which is actually LESS than the vet minmum.

And he was good enough in 2015 for the Raiders to give him a big money extension.

I have to laugh at anyone claiming $2.25 million is a lot since he would be the 50th highest paid corner unless he balls out and makes his incentives.

Kinda like how you had a nervous breakdown over paying Revis $353k last year, which is actually LESS than the vet minmum.

This.

And he was crap enough to be dumped by the team that drafted him early, and the team that signed him to a big contract. 

50th highest paid CB is starter money.   Not depth player, 4th, 5th CB money.  Hopefully the good Amerson shows up and is worthy of that money, and not the garbage Amerson, who is worth Acker/Gaines money, vet minimum money at best.  

I get it.   You are trying to paint the best possible picture.   I prefer to paint the most realistic picture, with every side accounted for.  Not just the homer side.  

The team, if any, that signs Gaines will only point out the good stuff, and some of their fans will fall for it.  

Revis was a disaster, and he was NOT paid less than Vet Minimum prorated,  so keep laughing at a false narrative you just made up.  

Spot on. There was never this over the top overreaction to tiny contracts in the Dorsey era. But whatever. Point is we give a short term low risk incentive laden contract to a younger player who’s proven he can be a good player in this league. And hence why Reggie McKenzie gave him 17.5 million in guaranteed money. A poor injury riddled season is also why they opted to save 6 million vs CAP and cut him. We get the upside here without the risk. There’s no chance you could sign a player like this for the vet minimum. That’s as laughable as thinking we could have signed an injury riddled Tyvon Branch for the vet minimum either.

Spot on. There was never this over the top overreaction to tiny contracts in the Dorsey era. But whatever. Point is we give a short term low risk incentive laden contract to a younger player who’s proven he can be a good player in this league. And hence why Reggie McKenzie gave him 17.5 million in guaranteed money. A poor injury riddled season is also why they opted to save 6 million vs CAP and cut him. We get the upside here without the risk. There’s no chance you could sign a player like this for the vet minimum. That’s as laughable as thinking we could have signed an injury riddled Tyvon Branch for the vet minimum either.

Remember the silly people that defended Dorsey when he signed what should have been vet minimum guys Faniaka and Mauga to contract extensions.   I was not one of them.  I was "overreacting" to those contracts, and panned them.  But whatever.  

And he was crap enough to be dumped by the team that drafted him early, and the team that signed him to a big contract.

50th highest paid CB is starter money. Not depth player, 4th, 5th CB money. Hopefully the good Amerson shows up and is worthy of that money, and not the garbage Amerson, who is worth Acker/Gaines money, vet minimum money at best.

I get it. You are trying to paint the best possible picture. I prefer to paint the most realistic picture, with every side accounted for. Not just the homer side.

The team, if any, that signs Gaines will only point out the good stuff, and some of their fans will fall for it.

Revis was a disaster, and he was NOT paid less than Vet Minimum prorated, so keep laughing at a false narrative you just made up.

Homer? About what? Saying he’s played well as well as poorly and that is why he is on an incentive contract?

You clearly don’t have even the basic understanding of how the NFL works. The Chiefs are not going to sign a bunch of FA’s to veteran minimum contracts.

You want to know who plays for vet minimum? Young players on rookie contracts or players who have literally no leverage at all bc are old and nobody wants them (aka Revis).

You said you don’t like old players, so all that’s left is players on rookie contracts and guess what? We don’t have draft picks this year.

You want a young FA player that might be good bc he has played well before? You aren’t getting him him for vet minimum. He’ll sign with another team.

That’s the market for these players, so hopefully you can see your flawed logic.

There is no way to make this team better with young talented players by not having draft picks and trying to pay players vet minimum.

What I don't get is that he PLAYED hurt. There's little evidence he did. When he was hurt, he didn't play. Was he playing hurt in 2013 and 2014 when he sucked also? But if you need an excuse to wave away his pathetically bad play, and justify a contract triple vet minimum as it's base, sure, go with that.

San Jose Mercury News story on Amersons release from Feb 5th

“Amerson also sustained a concussion and shoulder injury early in the season, so the Raiders never saw him healthy for an extended period of time.”

Remember the silly people that defended Dorsey when he signed what should have been vet minimum guys Faniaka and Mauga to contract extensions. I was not one of them. I was "overreacting" to those contracts, and panned them. But whatever.

BOTH of those guys signed 3 year contracts worth over 8 million dollars. We are talking about 1 year or in Revis case a 2 month contract. I can also add I don’t remember ever complainnng about any 1 year deal any GM has ever signed. And I also did not like the Fanaika signing from day one.

50th highest paid CB is starter money. Not depth player, 4th, 5th CB money. Hopefully the good Amerson shows up and is worthy of that money, and not the garbage Amerson, who is worth Acker/Gaines money, vet minimum money at best.

I get it. You are trying to paint the best possible picture. I prefer to paint the most realistic picture, with every side accounted for. Not just the homer side.

Revis was a disaster, and he was NOT paid less than Vet Minimum prorated, so keep laughing at a false narrative you just made up.

Amerson has 8 times as many INTs as Gaines. Nobody is going to be excited to see him on their team. Pretty interesting to see how much we valued corners the last 5 years and still ended up with the least depth of any corner group in the league. Hard to figure really.

San Jose Mercury News story on Amersons release from Feb 5th

“Amerson also sustained a concussion and shoulder injury early in the season, so the Raiders never saw him healthy for an extended period of time.”

http://www.raiders.com/team/injury-report.html

He PLAYED in one game, where he appeared on the injury report before the game in 2017, with anything other than a concussion.  

The foot that some are trying to use as an excuse for his horrid year, was not injured until week 7, and he never played in a game with it afterwards.

Was he also hurt in 2013 and 2014 when he sucked?   

Homer? About what? Saying he’s played well as well as poorly and that is why he is on an incentive contract?

You clearly don’t have even the basic understanding of how the NFL works. The Chiefs are not going to sign a bunch of FA’s to veteran minimum contracts.

You want to know who plays for vet minimum? Young players on rookie contracts or players who have literally no leverage at all bc are old and nobody wants them (aka Revis).

You said you don’t like old players, so all that’s left is players on rookie contracts and guess what? We don’t have draft picks this year.

You want a young FA player that might be good bc he has played well before? You aren’t getting him him for vet minimum. He’ll sign with another team.

That’s the market for these players, so hopefully you can see your flawed logic.

There is no way to make this team better with young talented players by not having draft picks and trying to pay players vet minimum.

He understands football just fine. My issue is that he gets bent out of shape over miniscule contracts and points to these types of acquisitions as check marks on a GMs (Veach) resume. My point is these are the type of moves that actually have me excited about Veach. Hes not overcommitting financially or in years. 2.25 million dollars for a guy this age with this upside is a no brainer. And he's upset about it. Its crazy.

Amerson has 8 times as many INTs as Gaines. Nobody is going to be excited to see him on their team. Pretty interesting to see how much we valued corners the last 5 years and still ended up with the least depth of any corner group in the league. Hard to figure really.

I would hope not.  But sunshine pumpers, who think the team they root for can do little wrong, will always point to the good stuff, and ignore the bad.  And there is good stuff to point to with Gaines.  

He understands football just fine. My issue is that he gets bent out of shape over miniscule contracts and points to these types of acquisitions as check marks on a GMs (Veach) resume. My point is these are the type of moves that actually have me excited about Veach. Hes not overcommitting financially or in years. 2.25 million dollars for a guy this age with this upside is a no brainer. And he's upset about it. Its crazy.

I'm on the fence about it, and not slobbering all over it.   In homerville, I guess that means I'm  upset?   

When/if I see the guarantees on the contract, I'll get off that fence one way or another.  

http://www.raiders.com/team/injury-report.html

He PLAYED in one game, where he appeared on the injury report before the game in 2017, with anything other than a concussion.

The foot that some are trying to use as an excuse for his horrid year, was not injured until week 7, and he never played in a game with it afterwards.

Was he also hurt in 2013 and 2014 when he sucked?

I didn’t write that story buddy. The beat writer for the Raiders did. Sorry it bothers you so much.

It doesn't, when I have the facts on my side.

I guess he just made up the shoulder injury. And heck we all know concussions clear up instantly. Whatever though. I’m onky concerned about the foot injury he tried to play through but could not.

I guess he just made up the shoulder injury. And heck we all know concussions clear up instantly. Whatever though. I’m onky concerned about the foot injury he tried to play through but could not.

So you know that he played when Concussed?   You should report it to the NFL.   They take those things pretty seriously, and they may strip some draft Choices from the Raiders.  

Archived