Time for KC to draft for needs?

So Dee Ford was BPA or future replacement player for Hali?

Dee was drafted for need to groom and replace Hali down the road. If we had gone BPA we may not have a need now in other areas unsreadnif the mediocrity of play we have seen from Dee. Maybe Damascus Lawrence DE, Derek Carr, Devante Adams WR or Jason Verrett CB have all done much better and were drafted right after Ford.

Never liked the idea of possibly passing up a future All Pro for a lesser player just because there's a need at that position. IMO it's better to go with a FA to fill needs.

I would think or hope that we give every player a draft grade irreguardless of need and then apply a very subtle adjustment based on need. Basically if two players have similar grades it tie breaker goes to need. Likewise there’s got to be positional value adjustments as well in some way. But you are 100 percent right that if you overvalue players because of need, the opportunity cost of losing a superior player at another position is the type of thing that keeps a franchise from progressing.

So you guys are saying that if for some reason baker Mayfield falls to us at the second round we have to take him. He would be best player available?

That seems redundant with Mahomes already here

Yes, I would do that if he is BPA. A strength can become a weakness in one play.

I would rank our needs as:

1. Pass rush

2. Pass rush

3. NT

4. OL

5. Pass rush

So you guys are saying that if for some reason baker Mayfield falls to us at the second round we have to take him. He would be best player available?

Redundant, but I'd do it. A good #2 to polish if we didn't trade him right away and certainly trade bait after a year, or during the year even, for an injury replacement. Good competition as well.

It sounds funny and I'm all in on Mahomes. Likely more than most, but I'd still happily make that pick.

I like the way you think. Keep our QBOF on his feet and the other guy on his butt.

I feel like these new db’s are going to help the pass rush. We NEED A LG and I’m not a fan of Morse’s style. And he’s injured too much. I’d like to see a center too.

Agreed. A lot of mediocre talents and can’t keep the same five working together. Morse, Fulton, Ehinger, Witz, Erving all could be upgraded. I will even throw LDT on that list.

If you start the defense of a player with “When healthy...”, there is room for improvement. Just saying health matters. That is what makes Schwartz and Fisher such studs.

Agreed. A lot of mediocre talents and can’t keep the same five working together. Morse, Fulton, Ehinger, Witz, Erving all could be upgraded. I will even throw LDT on that list.

If you start the defense of a player with “When healthy...”, there is room for improvement. Just saying health matters. That is what makes Schwartz and Fisher such studs.

I’m not a big fan of fish, but he’s been steady. I’d like to see him replaced within 2 years

I can’t disagree. What I do like about them is that Fish and Schwartz always start week after week. Neither are Pro Bowl talents, but they are always there. I wish we could not have to shuffle the line 5 times every season. Exaggerating. But especially for the guys inside, who takes who when is really important. Stunts and ILB bitzes seem to break us down a lot.

Ovearll I think the mentality is the best pl.ayer available in a position of need. There are some exceptions but that's generally the way teams draft players. 

That's the way successful teams draft.   Blindly going need, or BPA is a recipe for continued mediocrity, or worse.   

Dee was drafted for need to groom and replace Hali down the road. If we had gone BPA we may not have a need now in other areas unsreadnif the mediocrity of play we have seen from Dee. Maybe Damascus Lawrence DE, Derek Carr, Devante Adams WR or Jason Verrett CB have all done much better and were drafted right after Ford.

Yes on demarcus.  We screwed up and took the wrong guy based on 40 time.   Dee and Demarcus both OLB.

I can’t disagree. What I do like about them is that Fish and Schwartz always start week after week. Neither are Pro Bowl talents, but they are always there. I wish we could not have to shuffle the line 5 times every season. Exaggerating. But especially for the guys inside, who takes who when is really important. Stunts and ILB bitzes seem to break us down a lot.

I think Schwartz is close to elite

I think Schwartz is close to elite

I think that LDT when healthy the last 2 years has played at a high level and grades would bear that out. He improved dramatically the second half of 2016, to the point where he had graded out as a top 5 guard in football for like the last 6 weeks. Same way last year in the last quarter of the season, he was starting to beast again. 

Our line has never been able to stay consistently healthy and play consistently cohesive football either. Fisher, Morse, LDT, and Schwartz have all played well above average football for stretches. Why the hell they can't ever catch a break health wise and do it together for an extended period is just some of our luck. I think Andy Heck is a very mediocre o-line coach, and it would be hard to argue that he has consistently gotten the best out of these guys too. I'm glad they are letting Matthaei move off asst. QB coach and now help as asst. o-line coach.

I also think that having a QB who doesn't immediately stop looking downfield and pull the ball down at the first glimpse of a defender is going to do wonders for how our line "looks" on game day. We need  beast LG and have for years, but outside that, if healthy, I think this line is still in pretty good shape going forward.

I would. We need a backup and Andy is the king of flipping QBs for good value. Most likely though we’d be able to trade in that scenario. Mayfield will be a great NFL QB in the right system by the way. A ton of Drew Brees in that kid.

Flipping a2nd round qb is tough. It means he would have to show off enough talent in preseason or during an injury that a team would want to give you a first or multiple picks. Losing a potential player with your 2nd round pick and hoping all that works out is beyond risky. You flip 3rd-5th rounders imo. No way we can afford to draft a qb in the 2nd this year.

Archived