WR Conley surprise cut?

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/02/18/kansas-city-chiefs-chris-conley-could-be-surprise-cut-this-offseason/

Kansas City Chiefs: Chris Conley could be surprise cut this offseason Drafted in 2015, Chris Conley was seen as a potential third-round steal for the Kansas City Chiefs. But a lack of progress could lead to his release.

The Kansas City Chiefs knew they were picking up a bright-eyed wide receiver out of Georgia when they drafted Chris Conley in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft. The pick was even viewed as a latent steal for the Chiefs. But Conley’s slow progress in the NFL could lead to him being a unforeseen release this offseason.

Playing in all 16 games in each of his first two years in the NFL, Conley saw a 27-catch improvement and had 331 more receiving yards during his second season in 2016.

When then-starting Chiefs receiver Jeremy Maclin went down with an injury in a wild-card postseason win over the Houston Texans, Conley helped the Chiefs by capping off the same drive with a touchdown catch to make the score 20-0, eventually winning 30-0.

However, that was Conley’s only major highlight with the team.

In the five games Conley played and started in 2017, he only pulled in 11 receptions for 175 yards. His yard per reception average was higher than before. He was averaging 15.9 yards per reception while having 12.0 the year before and 11.7 his rookie season.

It was a cataclysmic Achilles injury that ended Conley’s season as he recovered an onside kick attempted by the Houston Texans on Sunday Night Football in Week 5.

Conley was highly touted coming out of the NFL Combine in 2015. He placed first among all incoming rookies that year in the vertical jump while placing second in the broad jump and fourth in the 40-yard dash. According to NFL.com’s combine page, Conley’s vertical jump was the best, along with Ohio State’s Donald Washington, since the website started keeping track of combine results in 2006.

But we have yet to see Conley’s athletic abilities translate to success on the gridiron.

Conley’s only major impact, and one that has gone unnoticed, is his ability to help move the chains for the Chiefs. Among his 72 career receptions, 50 of them have been beyond the first-down marker, a 69 percent first down conversion rate. Despite holding a key contribution for Kansas City’s offense, the Chiefs may be able to move on with a different wide receiver.

Coming off single-season career highs in receptions (42), yards (554) and touchdown grabs (3), Albert Wilson served as a viable No. 2 receiver for the Chiefs in 2017 filling in for Conley. Outside of tight end Travis Kelce and wide receiver Tyreek Hill, both who amassed 1,000 receiving yards this past year, Wilson had the next most receiving yards on the Chiefs. Thirty-two of Wilson’s 42 catches turned into first downs, good for a 76 percent rate.

That's literally stupid. A rookie on a team with not even enough bodies at the position who doesn't save anything in the cap. Conley will be here for TC and we'll see how things turn out but if healthy he'll be on the roster as the best blocker as well as possibly the best jump ball guy due to his size.

That's literally stupid. A rookie on a team with not even enough bodies at the position who doesn't save anything in the cap. Conley will be here for TC and we'll see how things turn out but if healthy he'll be on the roster as the best blocker as well as possibly the best jump ball guy due to his size.

The last line of the article says in 2018 EXPECT Wilson to be Mahomes #2 WR and not Conley. Wilson isnt even under contract here in about 3 weeks. This guy is a tool.

If he's cut, its not until the end of training camp.  As thin as we are already at WR and his low salary(we only save like 1.7 mill if we cut him), I don't see it happening unless we get some real surprises in FA and the draft and he is literally beat out for the spot.  Even then, I see us trading him for a conditional pick before actually releasing him.  I can see quite a few teams out there willing to lose a 6th or 7th to take a shot at turning him around if he doesn't work out here.  But again, I see that highly unlikely all things considered.

I would like to see how he plays with PM2....I don't want to lose out on him because he had Mr. Checkdown throwing the ball. I want to see if he gets a shot now. Keep him!

And when Smith did lead the league in deep passes, those passes weren't going to Conley unless it was needed on TD and 17. Passes that should have been going to Conley, too, were going to Thomas, Hill, Kelce, and Hunt.

And when Smith did lead the league in deep passes, those passes weren't going to Conley unless it was needed on TD and 17. Passes that should have been going to Conley, too, were going to Thomas, Hill, Kelce, and Hunt.

Alex completed an abysmal 45 percent of his passes in the red zone with way to many attempts to the smaller guys. I’ll bet he threw away a fair share too because he doesn’t like going tonguys without clear separation. Does beg question if Conley is any real red zone threat or if Alex just didn’t give him opportunities. I’m betting it’s a little of both. No excuse this guy has 1 career TD from many aspects and I’m not comfortable though with just assuming Mahomes will solve this. But I believe Conley had more snaps st WR when he played than anyone else and is very solid in other areas. IE: Cutting him would be a shock.

Alex completed an abysmal 45 percent of his passes in the red zone with way to many attempts to the smaller guys. I’ll bet he threw away a fair share too because he doesn’t like going tonguys without clear separation. Does beg question if Conley is any real red zone threat or if Alex just didn’t give him opportunities. I’m betting it’s a little of both. No excuse this guy has 1 career TD from many aspects and I’m not comfortable though with just assuming Mahomes will solve this. But I believe Conley had more snaps st WR when he played than anyone else and is very solid in other areas. IE: Cutting him would be a shock.

If they cut him with no benefit, it would mean they didn't think Mahomes would fix it, which says something about Conley (I don't think it would say it's about Mahomes). But I don't think he'd be cut. Even Smith went to him covered sometimes. A few of them were 3rd and 14+. Yes, they didn't go to him because n the red zone.

Sorry if teams don't use games to see if a player can make it or not. Most players earn their spots outside of game time, spring training, OTAs, practice etc. If a player is on the cusp of being cut you can bet the team has seen more of them then us.

For some reason, I don't know why, but I will take the opinion and actions of the coaches over that of fans.

If they cut him with no benefit, it would mean they didn't think Mahomes would fix it, which says something about Conley (I don't think it would say it's about Mahomes). But I don't think he'd be cut. Even Smith went to him covered sometimes. A few of them were 3rd and 14+. Yes, they didn't go to him because n the red zone.

I see where they are getting this. Simply looking at the lack of production, his base salary tripling and the almost 2 million in CAP savings we can get by cutting him. I'd say if he's healthy and we like him this may be the time the actually extend him. But that lack of red zone production is frightening.  

Conley feels a lot like John Baldwin. Just enough of a tease to make you think he could be a starter, but never materializes.

Both played 3 years. Conley has more yards and Baldwin has more TDs.

Conley has 900 yards and 1 TD. Over the same time span Wilson has 1,300 yards and 7 TDs.

I think he needs to show something in Camp. He has a 2 mill cap hit with almost no dead money. I think he is probably on the bubble going in. Hope he is fully recovered.

Conley did the dirty work better than any other of our WRs. He just didn’t seem to be a guy to get complete separation enough, so Alex ignored him. I want to see him with Mahomes before a decision can be made.

Those bigger WRs just don’t get a ton of separation a lot and thus were wasted by Alex. Probably why we had so many midgets.

AA is verbal diarrhea.

No chance they are releasing Conley, as he is the best run blocking WR on the roster and cheap.

His base salary does triple this year and a guy with 1 career TD in 3 seasons can’t be completely safe. But I’m not seeing any roster bonus in his salary so there is literally no reason to cut him now anyway. Plus he is a good blocker, has decent hands as well as a positive locker room influence and is only 25. Again I think extending him is almost as likely as cutting him. But why not see if he’s just more productive with Mahomes.

I like Conley too. First of all he's smart. He can play he just needs a chance. I just hope he heals alright. It might take some time so he might be on injured reserve or something. Time heals all wounds. Lets hope so. Everybody talks about how thin our WR group is. I think we have the crew of the future. The rookie from last year looked good. what's his name Chessom. They are all young and hungry just like our QB. I have no problem adding more talent but lets see if we already have talent available before we start letting people go.

Chesson and Robinson should make everyone not named Hill nervous. Size, quickness, youth and a dirt cheap salary. Hard to take snaps away from those guys unless you can prove with out a doubt that you are a legit starter.

I think if he gets fully recovered he can do that. He better.

His base salary does triple this year and a guy with 1 career TD in 3 seasons can’t be completely safe. But I’m not seeing any roster bonus in his salary so there is literally no reason to cut him now anyway. Plus he is a good blocker, has decent hands as well as a positive locker room influence and is only 25. Again I think extending him is almost as likely as cutting him. But why not see if he’s just more productive with Mahomes.

2m for a starting WR is peanuts.

Archived