Maybe Albert Wilson is a free agent but he's about to be a star

Hopefully he gets paid enough for a 3rd or 4th comp pick. Will be interesting to see how Veach navigates the comp pick game. We're already down a 4th next year for Ragland, so Comp pick(s) are very important.

. Picking up cut players helps us out In This department

Even though I don't think Wilson gets the big bucks, if that's the case I would probably stay away from him and sign another FA as a big possession receiver (similar to what Maclin was supposed to be). It's always an advantage to have a guy that's continuing in the system to avoid adjustment issues but Wilson wouldn't be anything higher than the #4 or #5 receiver in our system which isn't really worth as much.

Hopefully he gets paid enough for a 3rd or 4th comp pick.  Will be interesting to see how Veach navigates the comp pick game.   We're already down a 4th next year for Ragland, so Comp pick(s) are very important. 

Exactly.  The Chiefs aren't going to sign Wilson.  They know Wilson will probably get paid and KC will get a decent comp out of it.

How?   I thought cut players have no effect on comp picks?  

He means if you sign a player that was cut vs a UFA, the players that were cut will not factor into the comp pick formula for players lost vs players brought in.

Exactly. The Chiefs aren't going to sign Wilson. They know Wilson will probably get paid and KC will get a decent comp out of it.

I’d call it 50-50. Andy likes Wilson and Mahomes has already shown some chemistry with him. Likewise if you lose Wilson, will will likely need to replace him with another veteran WR making it a comp wash. Taking away a system guy from young QB is dicey. Wilson is also only 25. This is a tricky deal.

And we are planning on being active at all in free agency? We may lose lots of players but very few who can command multi year deals.

Hopefully he gets paid enough for a 3rd or 4th comp pick. Will be interesting to see how Veach navigates the comp pick game. We're already down a 4th next year for Ragland, so Comp pick(s) are very important.

Dorsey really understood comp picks and hopefully Veach paid attention. That said there’s clear certain years you are only minor players in free agency because of it. Veach is clearing a ton of CAP space so the question is will he start to use it in this free agency period.

Likewise we’ve got a ton of free agents who may command 7th round type picks if they get PT, but very few who can likeky get multi year deals. So we may be able to go get 1-2 potential starters and still get a few 7ths.

Or let Wilson walk and not sign anyone of note. This doesn’t sound like a good plan to me though.

Hopefully that happens for comp pick purposes.   With 4 of our recent guys in decision making/influencing roles in the league, Chic, Philly, Indy, and Cleve, I can see that happening for Wilson, and maybe Fulton as well.  I don't think Wilson fits in Philly, but Chic, Clev definitely, and perhaps Indy, where Ballard seemed to pick up some of our guys waived(TE Ross, CB White).   

For just a minute, ignore the money side of this debate.

With Wilson we know what we have, we've seen growth from year one to now, he led all Chiefs receivers in 3rd down conversions which includes Hill and Kelce, he averaged the most yards of separation which again includes Hill and Kelce, and he showed great potential with a QB that is willing to throw darts all over the field.

Is there any guarantee at all that a comp pick will perform at this level? Keep in mind how many receivers the Chiefs have drafted that have panned out under Reid/Dorsey/Veach era.

I understand there is a money side of this debate. But for this one post ignore the money and answer the question honestly. Comp picks are nice, and teams can turn them into great pieces for the franchise. BUT if every time you turn a lump of coal into something that resembles a good player and don't keep some of these players, how are the Chiefs ever going to field a consistent competent team?

As long as Wilson isn't asking for more then his worth I think the Chiefs should resign him. They should NOT OVER PAY him. Contracts can be written very flexible. We know this.

I remember clearly how inept the Chiefs offense looked with jet sweeps when Wilson wasn't on the field. I remember the success of the RPO offense when he was on the field. Also keep in mind, that most receivers take a couple years to produce in Reid's system. Even veterans not familiar with his system and what he expects of his receivers, attention to detail. 

I think he's a solid 3rd receiver. Brady would love to have him I'm sure. He hasn't proven to be a #1 but to me he is important to the Chiefs success. Mr. Veatch it is a businessman so he should offer him what he thinks he is really worth and if he can't go with that so be it. Maybe next contract he'll rise to the #1 position. It's a gut feeling I have about this young man and sometimes you just got to go with it. By the way does anybody know what a #2 or #3 receiver goes for these days? Not top tier but middle of the road.

Archived