Welcome to KC, Mark Harrison

The Chiefs signed former Rutgers standout Mark Harrison to a contract on Friday.

Harrison was one of four tryout players who were invited to practice with the Chiefs during their three-day mandatory minicamp this week. On Tuesday, he used his 6-foot-3, 230-pound frame and 38 1/2-inch vertical jump to make a contested deep catch down the sideline over another rookie tryout player, cornerback Quinton Byrd.

Harrison, a second-year pro, opened some eyes at last year’s combine when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds, bench-pressed 225 pounds 17 times and was also one of his position’s top performers in the vertical jump and broad jump.

Harrison, however, broke his left foot while preparing for Rutgers’ a month later and went undrafted. He tried to sign with Chicago as an undrafted free agent but failed his physical, though he eventually landed with New England shortly thereafter.

He was limited in training camp and placed on the reserve/non-football illness list last August while recovering from the injury. He participated in the Patriots’ organized team activities but this year was released June 4.

Harrison, 23, caught 44 passes for 583 yards and six touchdowns as a senior at Rutgers. His addition brings the team’s current roster number to 89, which is one under the minimum.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article588082.html#storylink=cpyAP499669449634.jpg

What an intriguing athlete!  Guys that big shouldn't run that fast.  NFL Draft Scout has his official forty even faster.  But, can he play?

I read that prior to the injury they thought he would be the next Sanu at Rutgers but struggled with drops.  We'll see.  I refuse to get too excited over a guy the Pats cut loose.  Their WR corp is not good.  Is he the new Bobby Sippio or a stud?  It would be great if he were the latter.  The WR corp is bereft of talent.

I suppose the Pats moved on, because they hitched their wagon to other possibilities after his injury and delayed recovery.  A lot of times, it is people like this that end up the next big "steal" for someone.  There is a lot to be said for size and exceptional speed at WR.  What he will discover, I'm afraid,  is the amazing speed of corners in the NFL, who will be able to keep up with him.  I don't think he's seen that yet.

I suppose the Pats moved on, because they hitched their wagon to other possibilities after his injury and delayed recovery.  A lot of times, it is people like this that end up the next big "steal" for someone.  There is a lot to be said for size and exceptional speed at WR.  What he will discover, I'm afraid,  is the amazing speed of corners in the NFL, who will be able to keep up with him.  I don't think he's seen that yet.

keeping up is one thing but he has 2 things you cant coach size & speed. He wont draw the #1 corner so you'll probably get the 5'11" to 6" 180-200 # guy. or maybe Brandon Flowers .... I'll take that matchup  and he'll win a majority of those time IF he can catch the balland stay healthy. Health these days sems to be a catch phrase ( no pun intended) with those we need to catch the ball

keeping up is one thing but he has 2 things you cant coach size & speed. He wont draw the #1 corner so you'll probably get the 5'11" to 6" 180-200 # guy. or maybe Brandon Flowers .... I'll take that matchup  and he'll win a majority of those time IF he can catch the balland stay healthy. Health these days sems to be a catch phrase ( no pun intended) with those we need to catch the ball

It'd be nice, wouldn't it?

Archived